ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparing max SPL of different speakers with EASE 4.3: Turbo FLEX vs Geo S12  (Read 12143 times)

Peter Morris

Peter:

you have made another comparison that interested me a lot (PS15 - NuQ15), and your comments on the Flex with the 3 ways I find very interesting. Could you please say a little on the differences between the 3-way + FIR and the 2-way Flex? I would also like to ask if you have had experience with the active (DP) version of the Flex.

The PS15R2 is 2 dB over the older version.  I am getting around 7dB difference  between the turbo and the nexo, which I found too much given the similarity in components. 3-4 dB would already be a lot between the highest range of that kind of boxes from both manufacturers.

I have only heard the powered box briefly. To my ear, the passive 2 way and powered box sound the same. The 3 way with the “standard” settings also sounds about the same. I think the wide box with the “standard” settings may sound a little better than the 75-degree box, BUT, I have not AB any of them directly. I do not think the powered box goes quite as loud as the unpowered 3 way.

The settings for the Lake are not the standard settings modified to suit. They use FIR crossover functions and the way in which the MF / HF crosses over is different. How some of the PEQ corrections are applied is also different. The result is the same frequency response but with improved impulse and phase response. The ETC (Energy Time Curve) is also better.

Listening to the box, the HF is cleaner and mid range is more natural especially around 500Hz.  To my ear the FIR Flex is one of the best sounding boxes out there.

A PS15 uses a B&C compression driver that looks like a modified DE75 or 85 and a  PHL 15 inch driver with a 3 inch VC.

http://www.phlaudio.com/main.html

PHL do not have a standard 15 that they rate to make more than 123 max SPL.

What amuses me is that manufactures often use very similar components made by the same manufacturer eg. B&C, 18sound, BMS, PHL etc. yet the perception many people have about the quality of drivers used in a particular product is so varied.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:45:58 pm by Peter Morris »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

What amuses me is that manufactures often use very similar components made by the same manufacturer eg. B&C, 18sound, BMS, PHL etc. yet the perception many people have about the quality of drivers used in a particular product is so varied.

[/quote
As with so many other things, it is not so much the tool (loudspeaker driver), but rather how it is used that makes the difference in "the sound".

How they are loaded (horns-tuning etc), aligned, crossovers, distance from other drivers and so forth all make a difference in the final "sound".

I would not expect two differently designed cabinets loaded with the same drivers to sound the same.]
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Peter Morris

[/quote
As with so many other things, it is not so much the tool (loudspeaker driver), but rather how it is used that makes the difference in "the sound".

How they are loaded (horns-tuning etc), aligned, crossovers, distance from other drivers and so forth all make a difference in the final "sound".

I would not expect two differently designed cabinets loaded with the same drivers to sound the same.]

Absolutely  :), I don't think I was very clear in what I was trying to say - the perception about the quality of the drivers – i.e. some how putting a sticker over the back of the diver with a new name on its makes it a better driver or that one brand of speaker is better than the other because they use better drivers when in fact they use the same device, a bit like painting a DDA console purple makes it sound like a Midas.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:52:42 am by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Comparing max SPL of different speakers with EASE 4.3: Turbo FLEX vs Geo S12
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:57:26 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.