ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville LS608 replacement driver?  (Read 6967 times)

Mike Johnson

Yorkville LS608 replacement driver?
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »

Hi all,
New to the forum, just discovered it during a search for info on my question, an amazing amount of knowledge and info here!

Anyhow, I acquired a pair of Yorkville LS608 boxes with no drivers that I'd like to bring back to life, was hoping someone might have info on a good replacement driver other than the OEM B&C directly from Yorkville, for what they want drivers directly I can practically buy a pair new. 

Yorkville wouldn't provide the specs for their OEM B&C sub, wondering if anyone has the specs for the sub used in the LS608/808 or has any suggestions for a replacement that would work well in these boxes.  I'll be powering them with a QSC GX5, they'll only be seeing 500W if I end up with new drivers for 'em.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Yorkville LS608 replacement driver?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »

I copied the quote below from another thread out of the archives. FWIW these are considered to be very good drivers and reconers often have ready-to-go supplies of these at very good prices.. it'll cost you at least as much to get a competetive driver. These drivers get blown because users fail to understand the limitations of the cabinets they are loaded in, the LS608 for example is a 50hz and up box and driving it with any power below that frequency is a great way to toast the driver from overexcursion. If you're happy with that you should be able to scare up some drivers with a web search.

"The original woofer in the LS608 was the RCF L18P540, which was superseded with the RCF L18Y800, which was in turn superseded with the B&C manufactured Yorkville 18/029. The xmax on the last two are close to 9 mm each."

Mike Johnson

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »

I copied the quote below from another thread out of the archives. FWIW these are considered to be very good drivers and reconers often have ready-to-go supplies of these at very good prices.. it'll cost you at least as much to get a competetive driver. These drivers get blown because users fail to understand the limitations of the cabinets they are loaded in, the LS608 for example is a 50hz and up box and driving it with any power below that frequency is a great way to toast the driver from overexcursion. If you're happy with that you should be able to scare up some drivers with a web search.

"The original woofer in the LS608 was the RCF L18P540, which was superseded with the RCF L18Y800, which was in turn superseded with the B&C manufactured Yorkville 18/029. The xmax on the last two are close to 9 mm each."

Thanks Paul, I actually found that info here before my post but couldn't locate the specs for either for those drivers or any good ones for sale.  Perhaps I should have mentioned that, it'd be nice to find a reasonably priced readily available driver that would work well in these cabs..

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:47:10 AM »

That quotation above is mine.

I own 4 of those subs among others.

The LS608 is not a 50 hz and up box. It is  minus 3db@44hz

You LPF them at 40 hz.

These are the real 1w1m numbers.

It is 95db@41 hz, 101db@45 hz, 102db@50, 103db@60 hz, 103@70 hz,101@80 hz, 103@90 hz, and 103@100 hz.

"The response drops like a stone at 50 hz". Someone posted this unsubstantiated crap and now it is gospel. The numbers above do not support that.

I have read this internet BS about this speaker for years all over the internet,

Compare this speaker to well regarded SRX-718 and you will find that it outperforms that box from any number above 45 hz.

I have the actual Yorkville test charts.

The woofer that you require will need to have an fs of close to 30 hz with an xmax of 9mm, and a bl factor above 25 Tesla Meters (at a bare minimum), in order to deal with the compression loading.

There is not much on the market available new that one could call inexpensive with those characteristics. Most candidate woofers will be well in excess of $300.00 US with a few exceptions.

There are no free rides in the PSR world.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:00:10 PM »

The LS608 is not a 50 hz and up box. It is  minus 3db@44hz

Alright that's good info.. I wan't trying to perpetuate misinformation just going off memory.. which gets better with age as we all know. ;D

Glenn A Williams

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »

Alright that's good info.. I wan't trying to perpetuate misinformation just going off memory.. which gets better with age as we all know. ;D

;D ;D ;D

Dude.....I like that!

Most ppl believe what you took from memory, because that is the predominant information out there.
No harm done. 

The cheapest way fro the OP to get a suitable woofer is to find which B&C baskets fit the Yorkville OEM recone kits and buy two baskets to get reconed. The recone kit is $160.00.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.