ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Entire New System  (Read 15628 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Entire New System
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »

Chris....

Just a word to the wise:

This is not your usual internet chat room where casual banter and "dream scenarios" is the rule.  It's more of a pro board where anyone can ask there questions, the more substantive, the better.  Posting your income and stating that you're approaching this as a "hobby", then asking for advice from people who do this for a living may raise some red flags with people as they sort you into the "too much money and not enough regard for the profession" category.

One of the banes of existence in the world of sound as a business is "hobbyists" who come in and use the arena where we earn our living as a playground without regard to professionals standards, ethics and wages.

FYI..........

i was gonna say this, but probably not nearly as well.  thank you mr. rees.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »

i was gonna say this, but probably not nearly as well.  thank you mr. rees.

I didn't want to cast any aspersions on the OP, merely to state my opinion which, as you say, is probably held by a lot of the participants here.  I'm not out to "ban" anyone, just to try and make it clear that in this "business" we should watch out and not step on each other.......no matter which continent we occupy.

Thanks, Brian.

Edit:

Spelling and grammar corrected in my original post......

DR
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:00:58 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »

This is not your usual internet chat room where casual banter and "dream scenarios" are the rule.

I didn't think it was. I was/am looking for advice on a system that would be suited to my needs however my budget is just slightly bigger so I can afford to look at top end JBL, EAW and now L-Acoustics equipment - given the input i have received from you guys here and i thank you for that help.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

I didn't think it was. I was/am looking for advice on a system that would be suited to my needs however my budget is just slightly bigger so I can afford to look at top end JBL, EAW and now L-Acoustics equipment - given the input i have received from you guys here and i thank you for that help.

given what you've told us, i would be remiss if i didn't mention my personal fanboy weakness.  d&b speaker systems are definitely worth a look if you've got funds available.  they've got solutions for just about any application, and their systems tend to scale very well.  i've used them for audience sizes from 50 to 20,000 and been very happy at both extremes.

[standard disclaimer]  no i'm not affiliated with d&b and i receive nothing from my recommendation.  i just like 'em...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 03:36:46 PM »

I think i just fell in love :D

As for the desks - i guess i never really looked at digital seriously after bad incidents with a TASCAM desk... never ever again using that desk..

The Tascam is a studio desk that a bunch of people bought for live use. It's a disaster for live use. For 100 grand you can get a pair of PM5d's for maximum rider acceptability, or a Vi6 and  Vi1 for extremely good sound quality, better UI, and a digital snake included. The Vi1 has a small footprint for those times when you want to use something smaller.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »

Has anyone had any problems with renting digital desks to bands without an operator? I'm looking at getting a pair of the Vi6's but also a pair of Vi1's for rental with band PA only problem is them being able to run the desk without an operator..

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 08:56:19 PM »

Has anyone had any problems with renting digital desks to bands without an operator? I'm looking at getting a pair of the Vi6's but also a pair of Vi1's for rental with band PA only problem is them being able to run the desk without an operator..

There is no one in there right mind that would rent a PA of this caliber to any one without at least one operator to keep an eye on things. Unless you are long-term leasing it to a club or touring band.

When you are doing dry rentals you buy the cheapest crap. Because it will get broken. You don't want people breaking your new 75 thousand dollar desk.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »

Hey Chris,

If you have funds for a pair of Vi6's and Vi1's for rental, I'm coming to work for you. ;)

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 08:40:54 AM »

Hey Chris,

If you have funds for a pair of Vi6's and Vi1's for rental, I'm coming to work for you. ;)

Haha,

I'm looking at EXF8 for the corporate meetings and party hire, Live8 24's for bands and Vi4's or 6's depending on space for festivals.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Entire New System
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »

Maybe am just a digital fanboy... But with your budget why get a Live 8? You could get an SI Compact and get comps and gates on every channel, GEQs on all 16 outputs, and four FX processors... a Live 8 rig for rent would need to carry a big rack with all of those things.

Also, grab the MADI card and it will be able to connect to the digital stagebox from your Vi4/6 for digital snaking at smaller shows, or other purposes.

ProSoundWeb Community

Entire New System
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.