ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SX500pi+ Failure  (Read 3232 times)

John Oliphant

SX500pi+ Failure
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:51:15 PM »

The auditorium where I'm the lead volunteer had one of its speakers fail. The HF horn on one for them has gone silent.

This sounds easy, and technically it should be, but I want to ask here before I commit to this repair. The speaker is one of three hung about 15 feet above a stage, and we have a good lift that will put me right up there. The three speakers are connected in parallel to the big side of a Crown MA-36x12 amp.

I'm guessing the HF diaphragm failed, and that I'm going to have to remove the back panel and pull out the driver to replace the diaphragm. Will this be as easy as it sounds, as easy as I hope? Any tricks or secret codes? lol

-John O

Robert Healey

Re: SX500pi+ Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:11:25 PM »

The auditorium where I'm the lead volunteer had one of its speakers fail. The HF horn on one for them has gone silent.

This sounds easy, and technically it should be, but I want to ask here before I commit to this repair. The speaker is one of three hung about 15 feet above a stage, and we have a good lift that will put me right up there. The three speakers are connected in parallel to the big side of a Crown MA-36x12 amp.

I'm guessing the HF diaphragm failed, and that I'm going to have to remove the back panel and pull out the driver to replace the diaphragm. Will this be as easy as it sounds, as easy as I hope? Any tricks or secret codes? lol

-John O

Here's a service manual: [PDF Warning] http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/Service%20Manuals/Sx500%20Service.pdf

John Oliphant

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »

Here's a service manual: [PDF Warning] http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/Service%20Manuals/Sx500%20Service.pdf

Thanks, that's some extra detail than the doc the EV rep sent me. Good to have both.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »

Great that you have a lift.

Now the bad news: These are not the most rugged diaphragms/drivers in their class. In my experience, they behave much like the OEM headlights on a car - When one goes out the others soon follow.

John Oliphant

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »

Great that you have a lift.

Now the bad news: These are not the most rugged diaphragms/drivers in their class. In my experience, they behave much like the OEM headlights on a car - When one goes out the others soon follow.

Ahh, good to know. These have been installed for about ten years, so we will definitely keep that in mind.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »

-John O
Disconnect the leads off the driver and put a Volt Ohm Meter set to ohms on it
If dont read anything the drivers voice coil is open and yes replace..
If that is an 8 ohm driver you should read between 5ohms and 6ohms DC resistance.
Diaphragms are easy to replace.  Just make sure you clean the voice coil gap real good.
Im betting youtube has some how to replace diaphragms videos.
The EV diaphragms are real easy to replace and self aligning

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.