Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Road Test

Alto Professional Truesonic TS115A speaker

<< < (2/3) > >>

Brian Alleyne:

--- Quote from: dick rees on July 04, 2012, 09:00:11 PM ---OK, guys.  ANY piece of gear will clip IF THE USER MAKES THE MISTAKE OF RUNNING IN TOO HOT A SIGNAL.

It's not the fault of the car that hit the tree.  It's the driver.

--- End quote ---
The same signal level in my carvins or behringer does not drive them into clipping as the Thumps probably have a different input sensitivity

Scott Wagner:

--- Quote from: Brian Alleyne on July 05, 2012, 08:41:52 PM --- The same signal level in my carvins or behringer does not drive them into clipping as the Thumps probably have a different input sensitivity

--- End quote ---
If they have a different input sensitivity, and you fail to compensate for it; it's still operator error.  Proper gain staging is not the responsibility of the manufacturers.  Dick hit the nail on the head.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Scott Wagner on July 29, 2012, 01:42:55 PM ---If they have a different input sensitivity, and you fail to compensate for it; it's still operator error.  Proper gain staging is not the responsibility of the manufacturers.  Dick hit the nail on the head.

--- End quote ---
I have actually seen music store salesmen "prove" that brand A was louder than brand B (even though the power ratings were the same).

THey would have a constant input signal and when they switched in brand A-the sound was louder-so that "PROVES" that the amp was more powerful-NOT! 

Only that it has a higher sensitivity.

But people and companies play all sorts of "games"  in demos.  You HAVE to know what is going on-and be aware when something is being "pulled".  It is easy to get "sucked into believeing something that is simply not true-but it "appears" to be.

Jon R Smith:

--- Quote from: dick rees on July 04, 2012, 09:00:11 PM ---OK, guys.  ANY piece of gear will clip IF THE USER MAKES THE MISTAKE OF RUNNING IN TOO HOT A SIGNAL.

It's not the fault of the car that hit the tree.  It's the driver.

--- End quote ---

Spot on Dick! Nice review Craig. My only Truesonic experience has been with the TS110A. For what I paid, under $200.00 ea., I am truly impressed. I purchased a pair from Hello Music for $184 ea. figuring what the hey, there's always ebay. I was so impressed I just bought two more.
Granted they do not compare to my PRX, DSR or EV ELX but I am happy with the sound they reproduce. For acoustic coffeehouse gigs as FOH & monitors they work great. Compact enough that all 4 speakers, my Presonus 16.0.2, mic box and cords will fit in the back of my Hyundai Accent. Big plus, my back says thank you! I have used them as monitors with several Bluegrass and Jazz Bands who have been more than happy and also impressed. A very narrow trailer for the stage the 110's excelled at space saving!
2 separate inputs with individual volume/gain control. Combo XLR~1/4" inputs, thru mix output, contour switch, (loudness) Fan cooled, spins only when needed, light weight 26.6 lbs, great monitor angle, the one thing they beat my PRX at!
So far I really can't fault them. Long term we shall see. Bottom line is I am into 4 powered boxes for under $800. Cost isn't how I base my purchases but Altos' got a pretty decent thing going on for the cost of these boxes.
If anyone has questions about what I covered let me know. I will do my best to answer.

Jon

Sean Barry:
Would anyone care to comment if 2 of these and 2 Alto ts sub 18s crossed over at the built in 120 Hz could carry a bar/club of say 200 people with an R&B band, say 103 to 106 db on dance floor directly in front of said band? Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version