ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use for your toolkit?  (Read 4254 times)

Charles Johnson

What do you use for your toolkit?
« on: January 02, 2012, 07:05:30 pm »

Greetings all,

For many years, I've used a tool box that I picked up at Wal*Mart that has space in the bottom for a partial roll of gaff tape, some Permacell, Litt-Lite bases/dimmers/wallwarts, etc, and then two stackable trays that go above it that I use for a Weller soldering iron, some solder, wire snips, Litt-Lites, and some other hand tools (one tray), and then mostly Sharpies and a -few- adapters, set of hex keys, and some batteries in the other tray. As for other items (Smaart components - M30 and USB Pre w/ cables - system tuning CDs, headphones, etc), they've ended up in something, it all working but it could be neater and more streamlined and I'd like to add more tools (like my much preferred Hakko soldering station and a Panavise with the V-shaped base and the PCB 'fingers') and adapters.

Currently, I'm thinking of going with a Pelican 1510 with the dividers and lid organizer, plus the ATA-spec briefcase that Opti-Case tucked in with an order a while back, but before I spend over $200 on a 1510, I thought I'd ask and see what others are using for freelance situations and times when you can't have a proper work trunk.

I appreciate the information!

Charles Johnson

Sam Zuckerman

• Baltimore, MD
Re: What do you use for your toolkit?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:12:38 pm »

Fishing tackle boxes work great. That is usually my choice.

paul bell

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:44:49 pm »

As I'm also an installation contractor, I use/need a "real" tool box. I recently treated myself to one of these. Probably bigger than most show companies need (26 inches wide) but I do carry a lot of stuff. Sears and Home Depot have similar ones that are smaller.
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/professional-plastic/products/142

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:54:19 pm »

Greetings all,

For many years, I've used a tool box that I picked up at Wal*Mart that has space in the bottom for a partial roll of gaff tape, some Permacell, Litt-Lite bases/dimmers/wallwarts, etc, and then two stackable trays that go above it that I use for a Weller soldering iron, some solder, wire snips, Litt-Lites, and some other hand tools (one tray), and then mostly Sharpies and a -few- adapters, set of hex keys, and some batteries in the other tray. As for other items (Smaart components - M30 and USB Pre w/ cables - system tuning CDs, headphones, etc), they've ended up in something, it all working but it could be neater and more streamlined and I'd like to add more tools (like my much preferred Hakko soldering station and a Panavise with the V-shaped base and the PCB 'fingers') and adapters.

Currently, I'm thinking of going with a Pelican 1510 with the dividers and lid organizer, plus the ATA-spec briefcase that Opti-Case tucked in with an order a while back, but before I spend over $200 on a 1510, I thought I'd ask and see what others are using for freelance situations and times when you can't have a proper work trunk.

I appreciate the information!

Charles Johnson
I have a Strom 2500 carryon. Easy to pull along with me on the way to in town gigs and not a drag to take on the train/subway. I check it a lot and so far it has survived the airlines for 10 years. And my day bag fits over the pull out handle.
No dividers. I have my stuff organized into small padded bags and containers so it is easy to take select bits with me if I have to really downsize.
Holds enough tools, adapters, etc to do a one off or a short run. Fragile stuff like mic pre, mics, CD's go in my computer backpack.

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:37:15 pm »

I'm using the Pelican 1510 right now and have zero regrets with the $200 purchase. Get the padded divider as well, the padding is perfect for all the electronics you'll carry and the lid organizer for pens and flashes drives, etc.. Pelican has a lifelong replacement policy for any broken or worn down parts regardless of cause. But you'll never need it, the case is indestructible. You'll never need to buy a new one because you broke the first. Mine has ridden through planes, tour busses and Subways for three years and barely looks used. (It even works as a terrific seat when waiting in very long lines.) Plus I feel great pulling my case up to a loading dock next to guys who have 50lbs. bags hanging off their shoulders.

Dan Meier

• SR Forums
  • Montreal - Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:11:11 pm »

I bought a Pelican 1510 without the dividers. I like it alot.
I put some foam on the bottom and under the lid. Mic pouches and other bags keep everything organised.
It is 18 month old now,  and still in perfect condition after being in two dozen of plane trips and many truck rides.
I also love the idea of buying one item that will last very long. No more of that "let's buy cheap and buy another one every two year"
With the same intent, I bought one of these:
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=21-inch-One-touch-Carry-On-Expandable-Upright_U421LX&sec=travel
Same (almost) "no questions asked" warranty.

Cheers

Dan
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:00:03 pm by Dan Meier »

info@travelingmonkeysound.com

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 11:38:47 am »

I use a 1610 with dividers if I'm driving to the gig, and 1510 if not. The 1610 has room to pack your lunch and maybe dry clothes. Which on occasion is all you really wanted on the gig.
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 11:59:39 am »

I bought a Pelican 1510 without the dividers. I like it alot.
I put some foam on the bottom and under the lid. Mic pouches and other bags keep everything organised.
It is 18 month old now,  and still in perfect condition after being in two dozen of plane trips and many truck rides.
I also love the idea of buying one item that will last very long. No more of that "let's buy cheap and buy another one every two year"
With the same intent, I bought one of these:
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=21-inch-One-touch-Carry-On-Expandable-Upright_U421LX&sec=travel
Same (almost) "no questions asked" warranty.

Cheers

Dan

X2, i have one for my personal fly workbox, when I cannot take my full size workbox. Works great and of course it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

John Lackner

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

Try a Stanley FatMax. Available at stores like the Home Depot. They come in different sizes to accommodate different needs, and are reasonably priced. There's a big one that I use for installs that has wheels and opens up into three compartments.
And smaller ones similar to Paul Bell's.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.