ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching help to adapt 2x15" to LAB Sub  (Read 9245 times)

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
Re: Searching help to adapt 2x15" to LAB Sub
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »

Ah i just remembered. One of the finest Labsub builds are made in Norway.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/ljlukkar/labsub/

Tomi Laukkanen

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »

Don't know how many were used, but that was the result in competition, also we have to remember we are speaking about car audio competition so the car itself acts as enclosure and the drivers are ment to withstand pressure and power, besides you are actally mixing 2 diffrent drivers, the MDS and the Focus, MDS is rated 1750W rms and the in the Acoustic website there were datasheet where it was stated to have an amplifier to provide minimum of 1200W RMS of power. If you read again my first post I told that my current subwoofer has MDS 12" driver in closed box, also I don't push the woofer to it's limits, because I have enough power in T.Amp to fry the coil if I want.

The idea is to have hometheater subwoofer, yes, but I have been roaming for 2 years searching a good design, but like I have said so many times in previous posts that there are so many crossing opinions what is good, one say it's closed box, another say you best use reflex port and another one the folded horn is a good way to go. There are opinions a lot of them and I have read from many sites that the horn type in acoustics is intresting concept which is good, but hard to calculate and build, that's why when I was roaming this site, many said it is better comparing other products (like Cerwin Vega) in sound.

So that's why I'm asking about the idea of using folded horn with dual 15" woofers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:27:27 PM by Tomi Laukkanen »

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »

That is all fine, but then again, even if you build a modified labsub and manage to fit those 15s inside, one box on its own will not give you more low end extension then a good reflex box.
This apply to any folded horn, they need to be in a multiple boxes to achieve their potential, or they have to be extremely big.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »

The combination of car audio and home-theater leads me to ask what kind of car you're living in. ;D
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »

that's why when I was roaming this site, many said it is better comparing other products (like Cerwin Vega) in sound.

So that's why I'm asking about the idea of using folded horn with dual 15" woofers.
Cerwin Vegas are know for their "1 note bass", really loud over a limited freq response, but not low.

When was the last time you saw a measured response of one?

If you want low in a horn, you have to eitehr go really large-or use multiple boxes (as in really large).

When you put the wrong engine with the wrong transmission, you will not "get the best of both".

Again I will say-stick with proven designs and don't try to "make up your own".

Just because a particular driver make a loud noise in a small sealed cabinet (car volume), does not mean it will be good in  horn cabinet.

There is A REASON pro manufacturers don't use those types of woofers.  They are looking for different performance.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tomi Laukkanen

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:29 AM »

Rees: I don't need yet to live in my car, but who knows when that happens. The reason I use car subwoofer is simple, I have been heard a couple of hometheater subs in shop and one in my brothers house, they sounded good, but still lacked the pucn I like and the major diffrence why I didn't chose any of them is because if I would just take a ready subwoofer and bring home into my room, it would sound so much diffrent from the shop or what my brother has, because diffrent type of room size, diffrent furniture and everything that affects the traveling of sound waves. I'm not pro of the whole concept of the audio, but I do know something, might it be right or wrong that I can't quarantee.

Thanks Ivan and Marjan, for your time to explain, but I have said that it's hard to know what is a correct answer in audio, there are many "old school flag carriers" who says what is the best design. I found plans of a reflex box which houses 15" drivers called housewrecker, but again there are no specified drivers to be mentioned, just use from 1 to 4 drivers and test what it sounds. Same for me to test that design out and if it fails, well at least I have fun with it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me in a way or another.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:53:21 AM by Tomi Laukkanen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.