ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dimmer problems  (Read 6648 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Dimmer problems
« on: December 29, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »

Has anyone else experienced problems with the NSI DMXD4 satellite dimmers? I've had numerous failers and several other issues with these.

It's a real pain in the butt having to take these down and send them in for repair. By the time I pay shipping, it's almost better to just go buy a new one than send these in for warrenty repair. But then I'm stuck with the same brand.....rant rant.

Are the Elation satellite dimmers any better?

Thanks

DanGlass

Re: Dimmer problems
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »

Can you tell me what problems you are having and also what is plugged into the dimmers.  This info will help determine if you should just bail on the NSI stuff you have or maybe just make a small change to make your life alot easier.  I have to say that I personally have not had good experiences with NSI gear in general.  Don't get me wrong I am not trying to bash them, I spent many years using these types of dimmers with great success but for each piece of gear available there is also a place for it.  I still have a couple of Lightronic dimmers that I will use when necessary and I have to say I have been impressed with them. 

Darrel Hayes

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

I have had good success with the DMXD4 dimmers for a few years now.  No problems.  If this is a DMX or MPX communication issue, do a forum search from last December.  I came across a few communication issues that I now just have to take into consideration when planning my jobs.  I also have 10 Chauvet DMX4 dimmers have worked without incident.  No experience with the Elation dimmers yet. 
Darrel W. Hayes
DHA Sound & Lighting

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 06:24:50 AM »

what kind of problems are you having with the dimmers?

dimmers, in general, are fairly simple...only things i've ever seen go wrong with them is bad triacs (causing the dimmer to become more like a relay and either be on or off) or being unable to respond to dmx, which is more than likely a cable/signal issue than something wrong with the dimmer itself

mind you, because it's a relatively cheap dimmer it could be any number of things, so if you could give us a heads up on what the actual issue you're experiencing is (ie. does not dim, doesn't respond to dmx, etc) we might be able to come up with a solution
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »

what kind of problems are you having with the dimmers?

dimmers, in general, are fairly simple...only things i've ever seen go wrong with them is bad triacs (causing the dimmer to become more like a relay and either be on or off) or being unable to respond to dmx, which is more than likely a cable/signal issue than something wrong with the dimmer itself

mind you, because it's a relatively cheap dimmer it could be any number of things, so if you could give us a heads up on what the actual issue you're experiencing is (ie. does not dim, doesn't respond to dmx, etc) we might be able to come up with a solution

Here's the latest issue I'm having.

I have 4 Source 4's 575watt fixtures, one in each channel of a DMXD4. Chuavet Obey 40 controller. Cable run is about 50ft.

The problem I'm having is the fixture in channel 1 keeps coming on at about 30% out of no where. It will respond to pre set scenes and the channel fader from full on to off, but it comes back on a few seconds later. Will not respond to blackout.

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »

Have you tried a different controller?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

Have you tried a different controller?

It comes on even with the controller disconnected.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »

It comes on even with the controller disconnected.

Now THAT'S an intelligent light...

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 11:17:08 PM »

It sounds as if that channel is loosing/has intermittent dmx and is reverting to a default scene stored within the dimmer itself

either that, or the triac is going on that particular channel

tough to diagnose without actually being able to play with it
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

DanGlass

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »

I will have to agree with James that it sounds like the triac is faulty.  That woul dbe my first suspect

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 25 queries.