ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 01v (1st gen) problem solving  (Read 5216 times)

Hanno Meingast

01v (1st gen) problem solving
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »

Hi,
I recently purchased a used old 01v on ebay.  It seems to test out ok ,except when I had both effects going at the same time.  The output meters would show clipping and the output would be interrupted.  It would start working again after I turned off one effect.  Does anybody have any ideas?
I bought this to help me bring myself up to speed in the digital world; it was fairly cheap and I haven't left feedback yet or contacted the seller.
Hanno

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: 01v (1st gen) problem solving
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:04:19 AM »

Hi,
I recently purchased a used old 01v on ebay.  It seems to test out ok ,except when I had both effects going at the same time.  The output meters would show clipping and the output would be interrupted.  It would start working again after I turned off one effect.  Does anybody have any ideas?
I bought this to help me bring myself up to speed in the digital world; it was fairly cheap and I haven't left feedback yet or contacted the seller.
Hanno

i smell effects send/return feedback issue.  check your routing to make sure you don't have the output of each effect feeding the other.  it's easy to do on those boards.  once you turn them both on you've got a nice internal infinite feedback loop going...

forgive me if you already have that all sussed out.  but i thought i'd take a stab...  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 03:11:52 AM »

i smell effects send/return feedback issue.  check your routing to make sure you don't have the output of each effect feeding the other.  it's easy to do on those boards.  once you turn them both on you've got a nice internal infinite feedback loop going...

forgive me if you already have that all sussed out.  but i thought i'd take a stab...  :)

+1.  This is exactly what it sounds like to me.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:10:21 AM »

Hi,
Hanno
Sending an effects "back on itself" (sending the output of an efffect back to the input) will casue all sorts of distortion, oscillation etc.  Even in the analog world.

It seems as if this is easier to get yourself "twisted around" in the digital world-because of the layers etc.

I have done it myself and have "undone" a number of installs that have gotten themselves into trouble by doing this.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »

+1.  This is exactly what it sounds like to me.

+2.

The meters indicate where the sound would be at if Yamaha wasn't nice enough to automute to prevente damage :).

Most of their mixers have this feature.  PM1D will squeal if you make this mistake.  DM 2000 will normally not, but you can "trick" the system if you're doing funny stuff with inserted effects, matrices, etc.

01v96 will mute for sure, I'm guessing the 01v also.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »

+2.

The meters indicate where the sound would be at if Yamaha wasn't nice enough to automute to prevente damage :).

Most of their mixers have this feature.  PM1D will squeal if you make this mistake.  DM 2000 will normally not, but you can "trick" the system if you're doing funny stuff with inserted effects, matrices, etc.

01v96 will mute for sure, I'm guessing the 01v also.
I remember the first time this happened to me.  It threw me for a loop for a little while until I figured it out.

Far better to mute than to kill some loudspeakers.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Hanno Meingast

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 01:42:36 PM »

"i smell effects send/return feedback issue.  check your routing to make sure you don't have the output of each effect feeding the other.  it's easy to do on those boards.  once you turn them both on you've got a nice internal infinite feedback loop going..."

Thanks, all,
that was indeed the problem.  I had already reset the mixer and had probably been tweaking things without realizing what I was doing.

Are there any other tests I should run on this thing?

As a general question, why would one even want to send one effect to the other one?

Chuck Nottle

• Puyallup, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »

As a general question, why would one even want to send one effect to the other one?

One reason would to send the Delay (echo) to the Reverb Effect so your vocals and echo both have reverb and are not dry.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:09:40 PM »

One reason would to send the Delay (echo) to the Reverb Effect so your vocals and echo both have reverb and are not dry.

yup.  this example isn't just an arcane routing, it's pretty much standard procedure.  you just need to be careful to not then route the reverb back into the delay.  that's where the demon feedback will bite ya...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »

yup.  this example isn't just an arcane routing, it's pretty much standard procedure.  you just need to be careful to not then route the reverb back into the delay.  that's where the demon feedback will bite ya...

All my Yamaha "templates" are now written in such a fashion that each FX return has the AUX feeding the same FX engine disabled.  Not just faded all the way down, but set to "OFF".  That way if I'm rushing along in sends-on-faders-mode, even if I pull up the fader there will be no signal routed to the feedback loop :)

Clint Miller

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »

Are there any other tests I should run on this thing?

Calibrate the faders...  I didn't on mine when I bought it, and channel one kept bouncing.  I damaged it before I realized what the problem was, and had to have it replaced.

Frank Povazanj

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:23:12 PM »

I also have an 01v. Sorry to hijack this thread but I have one related question: what is the easiest way to clean the pad (and other) switches on the board, possibly without opening the board?

I have problems with the pad switches. Since they are not much used, I guess they get dirty and don't work properly. I periodically "exercise" them (push each button 10 or more times) and this helps a bit, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Regards,
Frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:23:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.