ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley vs Yorkville Unity  (Read 12043 times)

Rick Alan

Danley vs Yorkville Unity
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:01:45 pm »

Yorkville Unity claims to us DSL technology.  Was thinking of U15 for tops and UCS1 bottoms.

I used stand that you get what you pay for. But UCS1 vs TH115 comparing specs vs price the UCS1 wins.  U15 sorry do not know which DSL to compare it to.

Thanks

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
Re: Danley vs Yorkville Unity
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:32:34 am »

Hi Rick,

What boxes are you using now, do they meet your needs?
What is your goal?
Please try re-posting with clearly written questions...

I own Danley top boxes(the original td-1s) and regularly work on a system with Yorkville U15s.
The U15 boxes use a mid/high-frequency horn licensed by Tom Danley.
The horn crosses fairly low, at 350Hz, to a standard, ported 15" low frequency cone.
Maybe the closest box to the U15 in the Danley line is the SM60F.

I regularly work with the Danley TH115 and little TH28 subs, and have no experience with the UCS1.
One spec where the TH115 and UCS1 are quite different is sensitivity; the UCS1 will need more than twice as much power for the same volume.

Good health,  Weogo

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 12:05:03 pm »

Yorkville Unity claims to us DSL technology.  Was thinking of U15 for tops and UCS1 bottoms.

I used stand that you get what you pay for. But UCS1 vs TH115 comparing specs vs price the UCS1 wins.  U15 sorry do not know which DSL to compare it to.

Thanks

Yorkville has licensed certain patented intellectual property from Danley.  Danley did not design the actual Yorkville products nor any of their components.  Tom Danley addressed this in a post 3 or 4 years ago; it can probably be found with a search.

There are performance differences (some significant, I'd imagine) between the Real McCoy and Yorky, as the products are not identical.  You should evaluate each on the their own merits rather than trying to make the Yorkies appear to be the equal of the Danley products.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:16:07 pm »

Thanks
Part of the problem when trying to compare specs is knowing a bit more about where the actual numbers come from.  I have never seen actual calibrated/measured responses of the Yorkville products.

Sometimes numbers are "stretched" a bit to make a single line spec look better.  Without more knowledge-I have no idea about the  "accuracy" of the Yorkville products.  Things such as "where do the sensitivity numbers come from-freq response wise?  Is is down on the bottom end of the response? or up high?  Is the -3dB number actually 3dB down from rated sensitivity?  (most aren't-they are further down-as much as 9 dB down).  Where do the power handling numbers come from? 

Simple "single line numbers" on a spec sheet can often mean very different things than actual performance.  Some manufacturers are better than others in this regard.  I have no direct experience with Yorkville to make a comment on them.

Comparing specs is only one part of the "sound equation".  There is always the sound quality.  Sound quality doesn't show up on a spec sheet.

You have to remember that the Yorkville Unity products are "licensed" products-and NOT from Danley.  Tom Danley doesn't get anything from them and did not design them for Yorkville.  Their engineers did the design-with their own set of limitations/targets imposed, based on the concepts that Tom outlined.

I hear it all the time, from various people and they think they are getting the same sound from a Unity as they would from a Danley product (because Tom's name is attached to it) for a lower price.

First of all, the Yorkville products were designed for a price point.  The Danley products were designed for a performance point. Tom Danley has learned a bit since the old Unity days (Yorkville and SPL) and the new products sound quite different-improved.

For what it is worth, the Yorkville products do provide a very good performance-especially for the price point.  But when you hear them side by side, you quickly start to realize the differences.

Hope that helps somewhat.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 12:39:12 pm »

Thanks

Okay, you get what you pay for, so the question really is-what is your budget, "Yorkville" or "Danley Sound Labs"?

Best regards,

John

Rick Alan

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:25:00 pm »

Weogo Reed - Currently using Turbosound Milan M15 and M18.  Would like more spl for rock concerts and outdoor events.  Money is always an issue.  If it was not I would own 2 SH96 & 4 TH118.

Ivan Beaver - Thanks for the insight.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:59 pm »

Weogo Reed - Currently using Turbosound Milan M15 and M18.  Would like more spl for rock concerts and outdoor events.  Money is always an issue.  If it was not I would own 2 SH96 & 4 TH118.

Ivan Beaver - Thanks for the insight.

The U15 is a nice sounding speaker, but not for real high SPL. The U215 is better, but still would not approach the SPL capability of something like the SH46.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 05:26:47 pm »

The U15 is a nice sounding speaker, but not for real high SPL. The U215 is better, but still would not approach the SPL capability of something like the SH46.

While certainly true, the U15 should be a louder cabinet than a Milan 15, for a few reasons.  First, the horn on the Unity is larger, has midrange drivers loaded into it as well, and is a narrower dispersion pattern in the horizontal.  There will be more quality sound energy in it's coverage pattern than the Milan, so it will sound louder even though spl measurements won't say that it is actually louder.  Just one of those effects of the Danley designs.  But you knew that already. ;>)

The SH46, and all the current Danley Sound products shy of that wee little 8" box will be a magnitude or ten better, as the LF sections are all loaded into the horn of each model as well, and the crossovers optimized for this.

Weogo mentioned the SM60 as a close comparision to the U15.  I would disagree.

Rick, I'd suggest looking into the SM96 cabinet for tops, if you're looking for another 90x60 cabinet.  The SH96 is a beast-great if you've got the truck to move them around, but quitet a jump from the Milan 15.  The SM96 will get scary loud with high quality Danley output, goes up on an Ultimate type stand, and is nowhere near as big.  With some TH118 subs underneath, a fromidble small system.

If budget won't let you do that, then by all means check out the U15 cabinets, a great value.

Best regards,

John

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 07:34:29 pm »

Hi Rick,

The Milan M15 looks like a nice, compact, lightweight, self-powered box.
The 1" HF is probably the most notable limiting factor of the M15.

The SM60 F has  60 degree dispersion, similar to the U15.
The SM96 would be a closer replacement to the M15.

For high quality sound, high output and putting sound where you aim the box, Danley is pretty much in its own class.

A couple other boxes to consider are the Community SLS960 and  EV QRX212.
What do folks think of the JTR Triple 12?  Anybody know about dispersion for the Triple 12? 

If you need to combine boxes for wider coverage, the Unity boxes, with that big mid/high horn, are going to sum better than some other options.

How about used TH115s and top boxes that have the dispersion and output you need?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:46 pm »

I have compared the TH-115p and UCS1PB subs - stereo, right side was Danley, left side was Yorkville.

1 TH-115 is about equal to 2 UCS1PB's, but sounds 'tighter' and more accurate, and plays deeper.  1 TH-118 would be even better. 

For tops, the U15PB is a pretty good speaker, I like it.  However, it is NOTHING like the Danley tops.  If you're looking for a fairly compact, loud, great sounding powered top, the RCF TT25A is my current favorite.  It's not Danley level, but is between Danley and most other non-premium powered speakers. 

The Danley SM60F is an excellent sounding speaker compared to anything out there; it just doesn't have that much output.  If you need 90 deg horizontal dispersion, the SM96 is good, the SH-69 is better, and the SH96 is incredible (the J2 is insane).  As others have said, the SH-96 is a premium level product, with a premium price tag. 

As much as I like the SM60F, it just doesn't have the output for more than small rooms.  I'd look at the TT25A based on what you've mentioned so far. 

For subs, the UCS1PB in multiples is about the king of bang for buck horn subs.  It's not Danley by any stretch, however.  If you're going to step up to Danley subs, I'd look at one or more DBH-218's - fewer boxes to move, great output, hit hard. 

Caleb Dick
AVE
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:46 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.