ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help on mix console...  (Read 2598 times)

ziklagboy

Need help on mix console...
« on: July 14, 2005, 03:00:19 PM »

I have just started going to school for live sound and I need help/advice with a good mix console for the small church that I cam the sound eng @.  Our budget is under 1000.  My pastor just got a 16 channel mackie and wants to get another 16 channel mackie and put them to gether is this good or is there an even better 32 channel mixer than this for under 1k? please help
Quick to listen and Slow to speak

George Blun

Re: Need help on mix console...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 03:04:35 PM »

I've got a brand new 32 channel Yamaha MG 32/14 with on board FX that I'll sell for under $1,000. If intrested PM me and I'll give you more details.

Joshyla

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 03:32:56 PM »

I would check out Carvin...alot of people don't like them for some reason, but their Concert Series mixer is good for how much it costs and for what it is capable of doing. They have a 32 channel mixer for $1000. Our church has the C3244 from Carvin, the pre-amps are quiet and it has four monitor mixes which I love! I have had good experience with Carvin, and so has my Aunt ("sound engineer") in another church--she swears by it!
rules are in place so you know how to break them w/o voiding the warranty Very Happy j/k

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 03:42:37 PM »

ziklagboy wrote on Thu, 14 July 2005 15:00

I have just started going to school for live sound and I need help/advice with a good mix console for the small church that I cam the sound eng @.  Our budget is under 1000.  My pastor just got a 16 channel mackie and wants to get another 16 channel mackie and put them to gether is this good or is there an even better 32 channel mixer than this for under 1k? please help
The first question when you are choosing a console is what do you need it to do? It is impossible to say whether one console or another is better without knowing the intended use. How many inputs do you actually use? What are they? Do you mix monitors from the same console? Do you need built in FX or processing? Do you need line ins for playback?

Ask a better question, get a better answer.

Mac

ziklagboy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »

we need a 32 channel mixer with all XLR inputs and mix the monitors from the same system.  I dont know whether it would be good to stay analog or go digital.  I just started school for live sound and I just finished learning studio recording so I know some.
Quick to listen and Slow to speak

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Well, that clarifies things
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 04:41:36 PM »

Maybe you should start out reading the hundreds of posts on this subject. Since you don't want to say exactly what you are doing there is plenty of information in these forums to help you figure it out for yourself.

Mac

George Linkenhoker

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 07:14:22 PM »

Quote:

we need a 32 channel mixer with all XLR inputs

Keeping the above in mind, it is possible to hook two sound boards together.  There are a couple of ways to do this by running the output of one soundboard into either a channel or effects return.  I've done this before when I was patching into a house system with an outside soundboard (the people with the auditorium monitored level on their own board so that the system didn't peak).  Overall, it would be a way to gain more channels. . . BUT (always has to be one) you will loose channels for every send that you put from board to board if you do it by patching outputs to channels.  What I mean is something like patching main L board 1 to ch 1 of board 2, Main R to ch2 of board 2, monitor out board 1 to ch 3 board 2. . .etc. . . with the second board then patching out to the house and monitor system.  The idea is that you will have to be able to find a way to assign the inputs from the first board to the monitor sends and I would think that you would only be able to do this by giving them their own channels on board 2. So, you might need a 24 channel to go with the 16 but it seems too complicated to be worthwhile on a long term basis.  

So, with that complication out of the way, I think your best bet is to find some more money and buy one bigger board.  If you have to have 32 XLR inputs then consoles by Allen & Heath (GL2200, GL2400) or Soundcraft (Spirit LX7 ii, GB4) would be more of what I would look to.  This will be in the $1800-3000+ range.  

In regards to digital, they are going to be much more than the units I mention above in the 32 channel range.  I'm not sure what you guys do as far as having multiple technicians, but it might be a bit harder to get people trained to run a digital console as well.

-George

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 04:46:26 AM »

Carvin C3244 is the about the only sub $1000 mixer for you.  The Yamaha MG32/14 has only 24 XLR I think, the others are 1/4" stereo channels.  The Carvin has 32 XLR. Plus it is made in USA and NOT in China.

http://www.carvin.com/images/product/C32441.jpg

http://www.carvin.com/products/mixer.php?ItemNumber=C3244

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 04:46:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.