ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not pro audio, but recommend CHEAP audio sync delay for home theater?  (Read 4117 times)

svejkovat

Sorry for dogpaddling out into the deep end of the pool here.   I've tried this question on half a dozen home theater and high fidelity stereo forums but am at a dead end. 

Have a Samsung pn50c550 plasma television set.

Ext Aud Out signal from the back of the set is ahead of the internal speaker's output. No measurement, but guessing that it's on the order of 150 to 200ms or so. Audible echo between headphones plugged into this jack and sound coming from the internal speakers.

I'm simply using the internal speakers with support from a small external powered sub. I really would like to avoid investing in an expensive AV receiver only to address this issue. I also happen to be using this output to feed a very small amp for a hearing impaired member of the family. So that slight delay is affecting their listening as well as being slightly ahead of the display.

There are no menu adjustments for correction. A search has provided a few options for simply correcting the grossest error produced by the set itself, setting and forgetting. I'm not concerned with the less than 50ms sync problems that some consider necessary to correct with remote control, on a regular basis, from their armchair.

The cheapest is a digital delay effects pedal. Behringer, naturally, has the least expensive. A DD400.

It's not an ideal fit. It needs some attenuation to handle the output of a powered aux aud jack. It also is not intended as a simple delay, so it's echo control needs to be set as low as possible. The DD400 can be had as cheap as 28 dollars Amazon. It also appears not to be true stereo so two would be needed.

The next possibility is the Behringer FBQ100 Shark feeback destroyer.

Single channel, so two are needed. Comes to 180 dollars for two. Way too many options and equipment and cost for this need.

Then there is the Felston DD740, which I already kind of referred to.

240 dollars, memory sets, remote control, digital readout. Nice stuff. Extreme overkill for this problem I have.

Finally there is EXACTLY what I need, but irritatingly expensive at 90 USD for two dollars worth of parts in a tiny plastic case.. just can't do that on principle. Just can't. Hope you understand.

So, short of doing something insane like trying to build my own via Digikey and pouring days worth of study and frustration into this, can anyone suggest a simple, cheap, effective, set and forget, method of correcting this delay?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:28:24 pm by svejkovat »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Not pro audio, but recommend CHEAP audio sync delay for home theater?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 08:34:52 pm »

First of all you have to use your full real name or the thread will get locked.

The biggest thing to look for is something that only 1 "repeat".  I doubt that you will be able to get the Behringer foot pedal to do that.  So you will hear the same thing multiple times.

I doubt a $99 dollar delay only has $2 worth of parts-at least at your cost.

I don't any real suggestions, but $100  is not a lot to spend on a digital delay (depending on the quality)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Glenn James

• Darwin, Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:50:24 pm »

Cheap pair of powered speakers to match your cheap sub. All connected to TV audio output should fix your problem. TV speakers sound like shite anyway.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:13:50 pm »

Cheap pair of powered speakers to match your cheap sub. All connected to TV audio output should fix your problem. TV speakers sound like shite anyway.
And considering that the problem he is specifically asking about is the delay needed for the hearing impared system-how will your solution help that?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Matt Errend

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:58:17 am »

Sorry for dogpaddling out into the deep end of the pool here.   I've tried this question on half a dozen home theater and high fidelity stereo forums but am at a dead end. 

Ext Aud Out signal from the back of the set is ahead of the internal speaker's output. No measurement, but guessing that it's on the order of 150 to 200ms or so. Audible echo between headphones plugged into this jack and sound coming from the internal speakers.

I'm simply using the internal speakers with support from a small external powered sub. I really would like to avoid investing in an expensive AV receiver only to address this issue. I also happen to be using this output to feed a very small amp for a hearing impaired member of the family. So that slight delay is affecting their listening as well as being slightly ahead of the display.

There are no menu adjustments for correction. A search has provided a few options for simply correcting the grossest error produced by the set itself, setting and forgetting. I'm not concerned with the less than 50ms sync problems that some consider necessary to correct with remote control, on a regular basis, from their armchair.

The cheapest is a digital delay effects pedal. Behringer, naturally, has the least expensive. A DD400.

It's not an ideal fit. It needs some attenuation to handle the output of a powered aux aud jack. It also is not intended as a simple delay, so it's echo control needs to be set as low as possible. The DD400 can be had as cheap as 28 dollars Amazon. It also appears not to be true stereo so two would be needed.

Single channel, so two are needed. Comes to 180 dollars for two. Way too many options and equipment and cost for this need.

240 dollars, memory sets, remote control, digital readout. Nice stuff. Extreme overkill for this problem I have.

Finally there is EXACTLY what I need, but irritatingly expensive at 90 USD for two dollars worth of parts in a tiny plastic case.. just can't do that on principle. Just can't. Hope you understand.

So, short of doing something insane like trying to build my own via Digikey and pouring days worth of study and frustration into this, can anyone suggest a simple, cheap, effective, set and forget, method of correcting this delay?

Thanks

Find yourself an used Sony SDP-EP9ES on ebay. They usually go for less than $100. Hook up to your TV via toslink, get 5.1 output on RCA. You'll also get remote attenuation.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:04:27 am »

Thanks

Here is one especially made for a headphone signal:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/372105.html
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 11:04:27 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.