ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folsom Presentation Pro  (Read 10430 times)

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
Folsom Presentation Pro
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »

Hey all... our folsom presentation pro died the other day, unfortunately.. There was a clicking sound that came from the unit that progressively got worse and then the image began to flicker with different colors (slightly).

I sent it out to my purchasing manager and now he's telling me no one fixes them anymore, and barco has discontinued support.. they are talking about replacing it with the Atlona AT-DRC444 or Extron USP507..

you guys know where i could get a press pro fixed? suggestions for replacements in the 2k-4k range?

-regular inputs are computers - video playback - camera (not HD)
-preview would be nice
KT

Jordan Wolf

Re: Folsom Presentation Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:08:31 AM »

Hey all... our folsom presentation pro died the other day, unfortunately.. There was a clicking sound that came from the unit that progressively got worse and then the image began to flicker with different colors (slightly).

I sent it out to my purchasing manager and now he's telling me no one fixes them anymore, and barco has discontinued support.. they are talking about replacing it with the Atlona AT-DRC444 or Extron USP507..

you guys know where i could get a press pro fixed? suggestions for replacements in the 2k-4k range?

-preview would be nice
Kellen,

If you give us your location, that would be helpful.

You may want to look into stuff from Analog Way (the Pulse 300 seems quite nice).  Remember: you get what you pay for and you'll want to future proof yourselves - buy now for later.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »

-preview would be nice
The Altona AT-DRC444 is a very different product than your Presentation Pro.  The Presentation Pro is a 'seamless' switcher with associated audio switching.  The AT-DRC444 is simply three basic switchers (a 4x1 composite video with audio switch, a 4x1 VGA/RGBHV with audio switch and a 4x1 HDMI/DVI switch) in one box, there is so signal conversion, scaling or other processing, no single output and no preview.  The Extron USP 507 would provide the video scaling and processing but has more limited inputs, no audio and I believe that both video outputs are identical rather than being able to use one as preview.

There are a number of potential solutions available, but recommending any specific model would require knowing more about your specific needs.  Do you need/use the audio switching?  What are the actual input and output formats (composite, S-Video, component, VGA, RGBHV, etc.) and resolutions that you need to support?  How do you operate/control the switcher?  Do you use the logo functionality?  Do you want 'universal' inputs or would some other combination or type of inputs be preferred or accepted?  Do you want to add support for HDMI/DVI and for widescreen resolutions?

You might also want to contact FSR, the Presentation Pro/Compass was a joint development between Folsom Research and FSR, so they may be able to help.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:58:02 AM by Brad Weber »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »

I hear my switcher comin'
it's a comin' round the bend
And I ain't seen the image since, I don't know when
I'm stuck in folsom repair, and time keeps draaaggin' on.......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Collin Donohue

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 05:20:18 PM »

From the looks of it, you're using it for live presentations. If you end up replacing it, I would not recommend the USP507. Switching is very slow and still store function is pretty much useless for live applications. It works fine as a signal converter but I will never again use it for a live event.

If the repair is t possible, I would look into Analog Way. We bought a Pulse switcher and have been very happy with it. Lots of inputs, still stores, preview option available. All in all a good bang for the buck.

Kellen Tyburski

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »

Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up finding a local video equip repair shop (NYC) that opened it up and had it fixed for $85. After putting it through some extensive testing I am running it in my first show this morning, with a live backup right underneath it of course!

I really like the Analog Way Pulse, and demo'd it a month or two ago. I will probably take a serious look at that when the time comes.

K
KT

Tim Gural

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »

So what did they do for the $85 fix?

I'm on show right now with a Pres Pro that's clicking quite a bit.  Wondering if it's a fan noise...

Thanks,
Tim

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:07:47 PM »

Another vote for the Pulse as a very solid replacement for a PresPro

Kellen Tyburski

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 12:21:28 PM »

So what did they do for the $85 fix?

I'm on show right now with a Pres Pro that's clicking quite a bit.  Wondering if it's a fan noise...

Thanks,
Tim

That's exactly what was happening to ours before it went down... The clicking noise... To tell you the truth, I dont know exactly what they fixed.... The company I worked for at the time was about to scrap the pres pro so I took a chance (the rep shop was going to look at it for free).. When I inquired about what the issue was, the guy just said that he "resoldered something that was disconnected"... there was a language barrier there as well. I think we lucked out when it worked again, and it is still in use actually. If you want I can try and dig the info up for the rep shop..

I agree about the Pulse...
KT

Tim Gural

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »

If it's not too much trouble, that would be great if you could look up the repair work that was done on the PresPro.  No hurry.  We are going to take it apart in the next few days and give a close listen and look over. 

Thanks,
Tim

That's exactly what was happening to ours before it went down... The clicking noise... To tell you the truth, I dont know exactly what they fixed.... The company I worked for at the time was about to scrap the pres pro so I took a chance (the rep shop was going to look at it for free).. When I inquired about what the issue was, the guy just said that he "resoldered something that was disconnected"... there was a language barrier there as well. I think we lucked out when it worked again, and it is still in use actually. If you want I can try and dig the info up for the rep shop..

I agree about the Pulse...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:12:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.