ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: My unconventional homemade distro  (Read 41373 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: My unconventional homemade distro
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »

I am not worried about being quoted, or found out...  I thought I was trying to do a better safer job.  I don't see the problem with my distro.  I realize that doesn't make it legal, but having a fully protected sytem with high quality components seems beter than 18 gauge extension cords.

Oh well...

And now you've on record admitting that you know it's illegal.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »

OK...  I just googled "poor man's distro".  I am sure that what I'm doing is safer than any of those.
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/10116/85383/503/#msg_85383

The point of the poor man's distro is to tie the grounds together of multiple circuits, but other than that, just pass the hot and neutral through.  The link above is done with off the shelf rack mount strips that are grounded together.  This is MUCH safer than what you're proposing, and is fully compliant with GFCIs.

I realize that what I'm doing is not perfect, but I'm not running in a theater with 208v 3phase and cam lug taps.  I'm running in corner bars with wiring that has 75% of all the outlets on the same fuse with knob and tube wiring!!!  So when I find two outlets that sum 220 on the hot legs, I know that I have two separate circuits. I have never blown a breaker in the middle of a show with this setup.
If you're acknowledging that what you're doing is "not perfect", which is another way to say "inadequate" or "wrong", then it doesn't matter what level you are operating at - you're contributing to a bad situation.

I don't ever defeat GFCI circuits!  I thought maybe somebody might know a way to incorporate a system like mine while using them. 
There is no way to do this without defeating the GFCI protection.

If I never did anything because I had to ask for help, I'd still wear diapers.  I take pride in my system, and want it to be as safe and efficient as possible.  I hope there are guys here who can help me with stuff I don't know.  A moron wouldn't ask.  You don't have to agree with me, but you don't have to be condescending either.
I'm not being condescending - I'm suggesting that what you propose to do is frought with problems - the depth of which can't be explained in an internet post.  You'll find that on this forum cutting corners on either power or rigging isn't tolerated.

Reason for edit:  Formatting.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:46:25 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Clint Miller

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »

And now you've on record admitting that you know it's illegal.
No... I didn't.  If I knew that it was, I would gladly admit it, and stop!!!  I'm not trying to avoid doing something the right way; quite the contrary!

I feel like I just asked what everybody thought about bose speakers on an audiophile site!  LOL

If somebody can delete this thread, please do.  I had no idea I was opening pandora's box.  I was genuinely looking for a better way to do what I'm doing, and I apologize for coming off as an idiot.

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 01:59:28 PM »

Clint, no problem with asking something you don't understand and then learning from mistakes.  The problem is that power and rigging are both safety issues.  Cutting corners on these areas is a serious mistake.  Folks aren't trying to come down on you personally, but are trying to save lives.  You can get a lot of good advice from folks here if you ask a questions they can answer without risking safety.

Why don't you ask "I have a rig that needs more power than I can easily find in some clubs.  What do I do about that?"  or something along those lines.  The responses will be a little cooler, and you might get the help you want.

We welcome newbies, but are quick to point out serious issues.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 02:00:34 PM »

No... I didn't.  If I knew that it was, I would gladly admit it, and stop!!!  I'm not trying to avoid doing something the right way; quite the contrary!

I feel like I just asked what everybody thought about bose speakers on an audiophile site!  LOL

If somebody can delete this thread, please do.  I had no idea I was opening pandora's box.  I was genuinely looking for a better way to do what I'm doing, and I apologize for coming off as an idiot.

I doubt that anybody thinks you're an idiot.  Doing what you're doing may well be idiotic, but you can stop.  The criticism of your "distro" is deservedly harsh as there is great danger inherent in doing what you're doing. 

"Friends don't let friends operate unsafe gear......"
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 03:53:51 PM »

"Friends don't let friends operate unsafe gear......"

+1 I wouldn't take this stuff personally, its compassion towards fellow techs if anything. For every engineer or electrician or tech out there who has killed themselves because they were using unsafe practices, there is another one saying to themselves "I wish I had told him to stop cutting corners on safety".

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »

Clint,

Now that you're heard the collective knowledge of this site... what are your plans? Having a poor man's distro (sharing the common ground, and keeping the hots and neutrals separate) would be a good first step, and so is that the route you want to go? Or go for a full 50A distro with range plug? There's lots of options to work with, but it is important to make sure that the course you go is not only legal, but safe for all involved.

I can assure you, though, that you will feel a lot better knowing you're doing things the right way!

-Ray Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 06:10:56 PM »

Clint,
I saw the title and knew this would be an interesting read. Try not to be insulted by a group of people whose interests are to protect and educate a community, which now includes you.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 06:53:17 PM »

Clint,
I saw the title and knew this would be an interesting read. Try not to be insulted by a group of people whose interests are to protect and educate a community, which now includes you.

+1 to Mr. Leonard's response.

Clint,
   I want to say that I could have worded my response a bit more carefully. I'm not really such a grouchy ole' bastard...  I'm just pissed off, and have been for many years that Bars/clubs/pubs tend to direct little Sound Co.s /Bands/ Guys that provide Entertainment Lighting into areas that they can't afford based on their paycheck size from these bars.... and, that is: kludgeing up some home-built Electrical Distro.

If these Bars/Clubs/Pubs were anywhere near being interested in taking pride and care of the entertainment that they host...they'd provide a stage with safe and ample Electrical Service.

But, I NEVER met a Bar owner that wasn't an a-hole.

So...Clint,  post your location, and maybe, someone on this fine site that is in a close proximity to you can help you get your distro to code.  Then, I'd suggest you make friends with a local Electrician that can teach you how to do your tie-ins safely...or do them for you at a really low rate.

Cheers,
  Hammer

Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Clint Miller

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »

So to be clear, the problems with my distro are:

Shared neutral and my unconventional tapping technique by summing two Edison plugs to achieve 220 volts.

I never need more than 30amps 220 volts, so my main breaker and 10/4 SOOW feeder is sufficient and there's no need to upgrade it.

I'm not sure why the shared neutral is a problem... My home and the shop where I work both have shared neutrals. It's a rather common practice. If it is illegal, I'll find another way. Incidentally I have two 15 amp breakers in the breakout box, so its redundant protection. The only issue I've encountered is with GFCI circuits. I've researched it but it can't make it work; save removing them temporarily, during which time, they're not available to anyone else. This was the original motivation for my question.

I thought it was a safe solution to a real problem that causes a lot of trouble, i.e. blown breakers that interrupt shows, overdrawing circuits, etc...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.