ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: My unconventional homemade distro  (Read 41354 times)

Clint Miller

My unconventional homemade distro
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »

I would like some input on my power distro setup...

I built my own distro system.  The whole thing consists of:
A 100' 10/4 SOOW feeder that is split into two sections: 1 30' and 1 70' with L14-30 connectors.

I have a small panel with a 220v 30amp breaker that allows me to use many different ways to tap power: i.e. bare wires to wire into a panel, clamps to attach to lugs, etc...

I built a two rack space box that has 8 20amp carling switch/breakers wired to 6 outlets in the back and an L14-20 connecter in the front that feeds my stage stringer (a 75' 12/4 SJOOW cable with four duplex boxes with outlets wired on two legs for 120v lines).  All in all, it's pretty cool.  It doesn't look homemade, and it seems pretty safe.

I run my system in bars; often with no access to good power. So what I've done is made a cable with two edison plugs that feed my distro.  I use a meter to find two outlets that are on different legs, so I am always sure I have 220.  The only time this gives me trouble is when they have GFCI outlets.  Those can't share a common neutral.

Does anybody have a better solution than this, and if not, is there any way to get around the GFCI problem without removing them?

Thanks for your input!
Clint
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:50:15 PM by Clint Miller »

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
Re: My unconventional homemade distro
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »

Prepare yourself...

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »

A 100' 10/4 SOOW feeder that is split into two sections: 1 30' and 1 70' with L14-30 connectors.

I have a small panel with a 220v 30amp breaker that allows me to use many different ways to tap power: i.e. bare wires to wire into a panel, clamps to attach to lugs, etc...

I built a two rack space box that has 8 20amp carling switch/breakers wired to 6 outlets in the back and an L14-20 connecter in the front that feeds my stage stringer (a 75' 12/4 SJOOW cable with four duplex boxes with outlets wired on two legs for 120v lines).  All in all, it's pretty cool.  It doesn't look homemade, and it seems pretty safe.

I run my system in bars; often with no access to good power. So what I've done is made a cable with two edison plugs that feed my distro.  I use a meter to find two outlets that are on different legs, so I am always sure I have 220.  The only time this gives me trouble is when they have GFCI outlets.  Those can't share a common neutral.

Does anybody have a better solution than this, and if not, is there any way to get around the GFCI problem without removing them?

Thanks for your input!
Clint
Wow.

Please stop doing what you're doing with trying to find outlets on different phases.  Attempting to defeat GFCI protection is one of a dozen bags of hurt you are opening.

If you're plugging into Edison plugs anyway, get regular extension cords, or build a "Poor Man's Distro" (Google it). 

This all falls into the "If you have to ask the question, you're not qualified to do it" bucket.

Charlie Zureki

• South Eastern Michigan (near Windsor)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »

Thanks for your input!
Clint

Besides the fact that your rig is not code...if you cause any damage to the buildings that you are giggin' or the occupants of that building....you may be looking at a lengthy stay at the nearest house of Corrections and, Civil suits that will keep you broke for the rest of your life.

Have Fun... gamble a little....but, with MONEY, not people's safety.

Hammer
Do it the right way....don't be a Dino!

Clint Miller

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 01:17:37 PM »

Sorry
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:32:47 PM by Clint Miller »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »

OK...  I just googled "poor man's distro".  I am sure that what I'm doing is safer than any of those.  I realize that what I'm doing is not perfect, but I'm not running in a theater with 208v 3phase and cam lug taps.  I'm running in corner bars with wiring that has 75% of all the outlets on the same fuse with knob and tube wiring!!!  So when I find two outlets that sum 220 on the hot legs, I know that I have two separate circuits. I have never blown a breaker in the middle of a show with this setup.

I don't ever defeat GFCI circuits!  I thought maybe somebody might know a way to incorporate a system like mine while using them.  If I never did anything because I had to ask for help, I'd still wear diapers.  I take pride in my system, and want it to be as safe and efficient as possible.  I hope there are guys here who can help me with stuff I don't know.  A moron wouldn't ask.  You don't have to agree with me, but you don't have to be condescending either.

Clint....

What you're doing is illegal and unsafe.  You are taking responsibility for other people's lives and property without the proper know-how and gear.  You should stop right now.  When Charlie says you could end up in jail, forfeit everything you own and worse, he's not  kidding.

I don't think it's condescending  to come down hard on someone acting as foolish and irresponsible as you.  And now that this dialogue is part of the "eternal internet", a simple
Google search of your name by any lawyers engaged to prosecute your case shows that you've been informed of the consequences of your actions.

Do the smart thing.  Swallow your pride and keep everyone safe. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Clint Miller

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »

Sorry
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:33:10 PM by Clint Miller »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.  If it get too ugly, I'll just delete the post.
\\Now that the post has been quoted it cannot be deleted.  You're stuck with having advertised yourself on a public forum.  Sorry.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »

People here are not being condescending when they are critical of these types of devices. They are being safe.  NO ONE on a public forum is going to give you advice on doing something that is either dangerous, illegal or both.  This is a forum for professionals and those that choose to learn from them.  If you don't want the answers you are getting stop asking the questions.  The answers won't change just because you need or want them to.  If doing something the right way is out of the question, then don't do it at all. Lives and fortunes are at stake when you build a distro.

If the system you have doesn't work in the venues you play, you have two choices. You can quit playing there or you can get a different system that does work there.  Trying to make a system that needs more juice than the gig can provide work in that situation is asking for trouble.

Clint Miller

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »

I am not worried about being quoted, or found out...  I thought I was trying to do a better safer job.  I don't see the problem with my distro.  I realize that doesn't make it legal, but having a fully protected sytem with high quality components seems better than 18 gauge extension cords.

Oh well...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:39:24 PM by Clint Miller »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.