ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic WM mic capsules  (Read 6245 times)

Jim McKeveny

Panasonic WM mic capsules
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »

Wasn't the Panasonic WM60/61 used in entry-level measurement mics? They are discontinued now, and I wonder what will replace them?

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Panasonic WM mic capsules
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »

Wasn't the Panasonic WM60/61 used in entry-level measurement mics? They are discontinued now, and I wonder what will replace them?

They're still available, at least on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=panasonic&_kw=microphone

Here's a source for direct replacements:

http://www.jlielectronics.com/wm60.htm

But I'm not sure there would be much sense in building a measurement mic these days, what with the proliferation of cheap "measurement" microphones with 'good enough' performance.

Maybe I'm wrong.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Iain.Macdonald

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »

Hi,

WM-61B (pin version) is discontinued. But the direct solder version is still available. Check out the Linkwitz web site for helpful modifications. Also here.

Some friends, at Queens University Dublin, have been using an array of  BSWA mic capsules. The price was pretty good, and the capsules are significantly better than the WM. BSWA is the B&K of China.

Tom is correct in saying that it is hardly worth the effort to build your own mic, especially if your measurement software allows the use of a calibration file. Unless you are looking at an array of mics, then it is much cheaper.

Some links you might find useful.

HTS forum on mics interfaces etc

Cross spectrum

REW

Iain.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »

I have been toying with the idea of using them as semi-disposable string mics. Of course I would ease 1 or 2 into my usual big package of MKE2's & WL183's as a test.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »

I have been toying with the idea of using them as semi-disposable string mics. Of course I would ease 1 or 2 into my usual big package of MKE2's & WL183's as a test.

somewhere out there is a pair of wav files from a WM61vs4000 series shootout. It's a guitar recording with the mics as close to coincident as is feasible. In a blind AB, listening on HR624s, I could not tell the difference. My lighting guy picked the WM as the money mic in the same test.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:32:24 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.