ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to mic a harp?  (Read 16979 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: How to mic a harp?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:50:54 am »

I wouldn't use a PZM on this occasion, true, I'm not a fan of PZM anyway, just not going to be in the right position sitting on the floor.  Pointing towards the upper soundboard about 2-3ft away, 1/3rd up with always work unless you need real volume, then a contact, bug, or lavlier is going to be needed.

My experience says otherwise. The PZM on the floor, directly under the foot of the instrument, worked as well as a lav inside the sound hole, and far better than mics outside the instrument pointed at the strings. Unless all you have to deal with is harps and strings, I find the underneath or inside method far more successful.

Mac

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:26:16 pm »

At about $329 (online) for a Crown PCC-160, buying a PZM is a bit of a hard pill to swallow right now.

(Topic swerve) I think that I probably would have some use for it... occasionally I have to mic a drama stage (well, as dramatic as a group of teenagers doing 5 minute skits gets) and I've never achieved any stellar success. I've done a "poor man's PZM" with a couple of hanging-style mini choir mics taped to a board sitting at the edge of the stage, but still couldn't get the GBF I wanted. Maybe a true PZM would work better there. Of course, removing the carpet from the stage might help, too, but I don't have a say in that matter.

Chances are I'd only use a PZM once or twice a year (I don't do many gigs as it is; this is just a hobby that I charge for) unless I find new and exciting applications for it.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 08:03:41 pm »

more important than how at this time might be to call said harpist A.S.A.P. and see if there is a pickup already installed... then supplement, if necessary. Not all pickups are great/ but most _are_ usable...

I haven't been able to contact the harpist, but my contact indicated that the harpist requested a microphone. So I'm assuming there is no pickup.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 03:10:21 pm »

The designer of the PCC160: http://www.bartlettmics.com/index.html

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »

At about $329 (online) for a Crown PCC-160, buying a PZM is a bit of a hard pill to swallow right now.

(Topic swerve) I think that I probably would have some use for it... occasionally I have to mic a drama stage (well, as dramatic as a group of teenagers doing 5 minute skits gets) and I've never achieved any stellar success. I've done a "poor man's PZM" with a couple of hanging-style mini choir mics taped to a board sitting at the edge of the stage, but still couldn't get the GBF I wanted. Maybe a true PZM would work better there. Of course, removing the carpet from the stage might help, too, but I don't have a say in that matter.

Chances are I'd only use a PZM once or twice a year (I don't do many gigs as it is; this is just a hobby that I charge for) unless I find new and exciting applications for it.

since you swerved...  :)

keep your eyes open for PCC-170's on ebay.  they're usually used for conference rooms so since they aren't sexy they tend to go used really cheap.  i got 7 in a package deal last year for less than 100 bucks.  they behave very similar to a PCC-160 once you get all the little dip switches set right.  the also make good talkback mics...  :)

in other news...

best trick for harp i've used was a countryman LAV clipped into the sound hole that's at about waist level when the harpist is seated.  there's usually a metal bar that goes across that hole that's situated perfectly to clip to.  excellent gain before feedback.  you can run the wire up inside the soundboard and out from underneath and the harpist will hardly know it's there...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
bdmaudio@gmail.com

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 11:43:31 pm »

I ended up using a single Samson CO2 (condenser cardioid) positioned about 8" from the sound board, about 1/3 way from the bottom, pointed toward the middle of the sound board (example 1 in the figure on this page).

It seemed to work OK, which is good, since I had absolutely no time to experiment.

"What's a sound check?" It's situations like this that remind me of the old joke about the pilot walking down the center aisle to the restroom with a book under his arm titled, "How to Fly in Ten Easy Lessons."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:58:27 pm by Jonathan Johnson »

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 03:30:59 am »

i'v ben told the shure 545 is an awesome harp mic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 03:30:59 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 22 queries.