ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is happening?  (Read 6168 times)

Derek Richards

What is happening?
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:18:20 PM »

Hey guys, need a little help here.

I have a sub, Carvin sw1801, and the speaker has been replaced with a Carvin ne-18. I coulnt get it to kick on today, so I took it apart. For the third time, the wire from the terminals has become disconected from where it actually joins the speaker.  The first time, the positive wire split in the middle, so I soldered it back together and wrapped it in electrical tape.  The second time, it came apart in the same spot, so I soldered in a longer thicker wire and put heat shrink on it. Now, the third time, the negative wire came off where it actually joins the speaker. What causes these wires to come off? And how do reconnect the wire to the speaker? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:28:07 PM by Derek Richards »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: What is happening?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »

Hey guys, need a little help here.

I have a sub, Carvin sw1801, and the speaker has been replaced with a Carvin ne-18. I coulnt get it to kick on today, so I took it apart. For the third time, the wire from the terminals has become disconected from where it actually joins the speaker.  The first time, the positive wire split in the middle, so I soldered it back together and wrapped it in electrical tape.  The second time, it came apart in the same spot, so I soldered in a longer thicker wire and put heat shrink on it. Now, the third time, the negative wire came off where it actually joins the speaker. What causes these wires to come off? And how do reconnect the wire to the speaker? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
It depends on exactly what you mean "where it connects to the speaker".  Are you talking about the speaker teminals-located on the speaker basket?  Or the lead in/tilnsel wire that connects the speaker terminals to the speaker cone?

Those are very different types of wires with very different "fixes".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Derek Richards

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »

It depends on exactly what you mean "where it connects to the speaker".  Are you talking about the speaker teminals-located on the speaker basket?  Or the lead in/tilnsel wire that connects the speaker terminals to the speaker cone?

Those are very different types of wires with very different "fixes".

I am talking about the wire that connects the terminals to the speaker cone.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »

Over-excursion?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Flowers

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

Many many moons ago, When I was a young lad,, I had this same problem (Peavey 18’ speakers) it happened every show & the wires seemed like they broke or burned right in the middle. At the time we had nowhere near enough PA for what we were doing but that didn't stop us. That Peavey mixer would go right into red as soon as the show started & it would stay there most of the time. Mixer only. The amps would not show clipping. It only happened when we used all 4 18" subs. On smaller shows we would use only 2 and it never happened. We finally got more power and the mixer was no longer in the red. (Got a new mixer soon after also). Then the problem stopped. Go figure.

Derek Richards

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »

Over-excursion?

I wouldnt think this would be the case. It is a self powered sub and I bought a Carvin replacement sub for it like people recommended. As far as I can tell the specs match up and the new sub was just like the one that I replaced. The gain for the amp on the back goes from -6 to +6 decibles, and I usually keep it at about +2 or +3. And the gain on the sub out from the crossover is also -6 to +6 and I keep that on +3.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:06:10 PM »

I wouldnt think this would be the case. It is a self powered sub and I bought a Carvin replacement sub for it like people recommended. As far as I can tell the specs match up and the new sub was just like the one that I replaced. The gain for the amp on the back goes from -6 to +6 decibles, and I usually keep it at about +2 or +3. And the gain on the sub out from the crossover is also -6 to +6 and I keep that on +3.

So you have boosted the sub by +6 dB, if your board hits +4 , the amp may be seeing +10 dB which could easily push it into clipping.
The tinsel leads may have been too short to start with, and broke on a large peak, too much excursion as Dick said.

"The first time, the positive wire split in the middle, so I soldered it back together and wrapped it in electrical tape.  The second time, it came apart in the same spot, so I soldered in a longer thicker wire and put heat shrink on it. Now, the third time, the negative wire came off where it actually joins the speaker. What causes these wires to come off? "

The tinsel leads can only be soldered at the ends, they must remain completely flexible. Normal heat shrink is not flexible, solder is not flexible, cracks will form in either if the tinsel lead is not at the proper angle and length.

Now that the lead is broken off at the cone, to save it you will have to carve out some wire, resolder a new tinsel lead, test, then apply a dab of thick set super glue over the joint, after that dries a dab of RTV.

Good luck.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »

If you "fixed" the problem before by soldering the wires back together-then that is probably whey they failed again.

You put a solid "wire" where it needs to be flexible.

The best thing to do is to take it to a reconer.  They have the ability to REPLACE the wires.

WHy it failed in the first place could be from several different causes.  Overexcursion could have ripped them.  If they had touched, then one would have burnt and acted like a fuse that opened.  Or they could have torn because when the speaker was built somebody didn't leave slack in the wire for movement.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Derek Richards

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »

Ok thanks for the help guys. I what your saying makes total sense. I do keep an eye on the crossover while playing and it usually never shows that the sub is clipping but I do know that we push it pretty hard and it definitely could have been from over excursion. I am trying to get the money for more subs so that we dont have to push our existing ones as hard as we do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.