Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > The Basement

Flying with gear

(1/1)

Tom Hester:
The tour I am on has a few dates up north (not leaving the US). As TSA gets more and more strict, does anyone see an issue with checking a pelican 1610 stuffed full of mics/dis and IEM packs, and un racking a few channels of PSM900s to throw in my luggage which will ride in the cabin with me? I know there have been a few threads on this in the past but I was hoping for a specific response to ease my fear.

Thanks

John Sulek:

--- Quote from: Tom Hester on December 13, 2011, 12:59:14 PM ---The tour I am on has a few dates up north (not leaving the US). As TSA gets more and more strict, does anyone see an issue with checking a pelican 1610 stuffed full of mics/dis and IEM packs, and un racking a few channels of PSM900s to throw in my luggage which will ride in the cabin with me? I know there have been a few threads on this in the past but I was hoping for a specific response to ease my fear.

Thanks

--- End quote ---
I have never had a problem with TSA regarding gear (iem packs/transmitters, mics, rf  scanner,antenna distro) in my checked luggage. I regularly fly with a small pelican containing iem molds, rf scanner, headphone amp and cable checker as carry-on with no problems beyond having to show them what all the wires are for.
 You may find an inspection card in your checked bag upon arrival. I try not to make it a huge jigsaw puzzle so that an inspector can put the contents back in the case and get the lid closed.
Just put any cleaning wipes/spray for the iem gear in your checked luggage.
 They don't like to see a lot of batteries, but I was told by a TSA supervisor a year ago that you can carry on up to 60 batteries. This may have changed.
 At some airports, you can bypass the secondary inspection of your carry-on if you have a Nexus card (part of the whole "trusted traveller" program).

Hope this helps.

Daniel Nickleski:
You won't have any issue. I fly regularly with IEM packs, Molds, and a Mic Package as a carry on and our IEM setup being checked and have no issues. If you check the gear don't expect them to figure out house to close a case correctly!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version