ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Acoustic Guitar Microphone  (Read 9713 times)

Jacob Robinson

Acoustic Guitar Microphone
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »

I am looking to get a General mic to have on hand for the few times a month that we have an Acoustic guitar in the band or for a "special" performance.  Right now all we have are Sennheiser e835's which make what is normally a very impressive guitarists sound not too impressive.  This also has to do with our system and my lack of knowledge using EQ, but I know a better sound could be had.

I am looking to spend around $100 or less, but could probably go to $150 if need be.

I thought a google search would yield many results, but I was dissappointed so I though I'd post here.  I am guessing I need a condenser mic, but again I am not well versed in microphone applications so any suggestions are appreciated.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: Acoustic Guitar Microphone
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »

I am looking to get a General mic to have on hand for the few times a month that we have an Acoustic guitar in the band or for a "special" performance.  Right now all we have are Sennheiser e835's which make what is normally a very impressive guitarists sound not too impressive.  This also has to do with our system and my lack of knowledge using EQ, but I know a better sound could be had.

I am looking to spend around $100 or less, but could probably go to $150 if need be.

I thought a google search would yield many results, but I was dissappointed so I though I'd post here.  I am guessing I need a condenser mic, but again I am not well versed in microphone applications so any suggestions are appreciated.

This is an unrealistically low budget for the type of microphone you will need for this task and others.

In general, acoustic guitars are mic'd with condenser microphones and in live sound we almost always used a directional version, as in: cardioid or super- or hyper-cardioid. We need the directional pick-up pattern to minimize leakage from everything else on the platform and to reduce susceptibility to feedback.

A good lower cost directional condenser microphone that sounds half way decent, will be reliable over the years and can take the bumps and falls associated with live sound
will likely cost several hundred dollars.

How did you come up with the "$100.00 or less, maybe $150.00" ?

Other than finding a great deal ("steal") on Ebay, that ain't gonna happen.

I'm not saying you will not see multiples of cardioid condensers for sale at music stores and internet sellers for even less than your "budget". You will.

I am saying these are a waste of money.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »

Take a look at this:

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_mics_for_music_sound_ea.pdf

You'll need to know a starting point for placement as well as the type/pattern of mic.  And remember.........loudest sound at the mic wins.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »

Even with the model mic you have now you should be able to get a pretty decent
sound out of an accurate loudspeaker system.   I would suggest you do your google homework
and look up live mic techniques for acoustic guitars.   For a dynamic mic that is in your price range
might I suggest the Audix i5 instrument mic.    I used a pair on a large bluegrass fest this last summer and had one on the mandolin and one on the banjo.   Typically I use condensers but
I thought I would try the dynamic mic thing this summer.   I can say I am very impressed with
the Audix i5 mic.   They definitely blow the Shure 57 away in many ways...   
You can do a dual mic thing and mic the 12th fret and down by the bridge on the acoustic guitar.
All the above are just suggestions and I would highly suggest you research mic techniques.

Jacob Robinson

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »

I will take a look at some micing techniques, and the price was just a number I threw out, I am trying to not our clerk a heart attack by my nickel and dime pieces I have been buying lately.  I will try and do some more research on the technique, would a $200 budget get me into the category I need to be in?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »

I will take a look at some micing techniques, and the price was just a number I threw out, I am trying to not our clerk a heart attack by my nickel and dime pieces I have been buying lately.  I will try and do some more research on the technique, would a $200 budget get me into the category I need to be in?

Technique often trumps gear.  The wrong mic in the right place may well be a bit better than the right mic in the wrong place. The link I gave earlier to the Shure "Live Sound" mic techniques is pretty good basic stuff.  Tried and true.

The starting point might well be something like an SM57 properly placed.  In fact, beginning with a mic which has a pretty narrow area of functionality might help you to find the sweet spot.  IOW, it just won't work unless you get it in just the right spot. 

Sometimes a dynamic mic is the best choice.  Most often, though, folks prefer some sort of small diaphragm condenser.  Whichever you choose, try to communicate to the player that having the mic pointing directly into the sound hole will yield a very bass-heavy, boomy and often muddy tone.  Again, I'd refer you to the Shure tutorial I linked.

The Audio Technica Pro 37 is arguably the best value in the SDC spectrum.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/5ef0e5beb547be51/index.html

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pro37

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352171-REG/Audio_Technica_PRO_37_Pro_37_Condenser_Microphone.html   
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:18:53 PM by dick rees »

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »

I have the same problem plus a bit.  We need to mic an acoustic guitar, and we need to do it while the guitar is part of a worship team so we need it to get as much guitar and as little everything else as possible.  I am thinking we need a clip on, but what one and where?

Frank

Not to Code

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »

I have the same problem plus a bit.  We need to mic an acoustic guitar, and we need to do it while the guitar is part of a worship team so we need it to get as much guitar and as little everything else as possible.  I am thinking we need a clip on, but what one and where?

Frank

Frank...

The Shure tutorial I linked previously contains a bit on small clip on condensers.  I use these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pro70/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=livesound&utm_term=audio_technica_pro_70&adpos=1t2&gclid=CL6HoP7s7qwCFQYBQAodNBzHIQ

The larger the body of the guitar, the less well this type of mic works.  Again, loudest sound at the mic wins, so positioning of the mic chosen and the relationship of the player to the mains, monitors, onstage amps, drum kit, etc all comes into play no matter what the mic.

Brian Lemmon

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:45:49 PM »

+1 for the AT Pro37 for a budget friendly condenser mic.

Eric Teune

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »

I have used an AT2020 and had good results.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2020

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.