ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand soldered mic cables - opinions please  (Read 11703 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Hand soldered mic cables - opinions please
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 05:23:07 pm »

My advice: don't go into debt to do this.

It's fine to use a credit card to buy materials & supplies, but be sure you've budgeted so that you can pay it off at the end of the month (set aside the cash first if you can). The last thing you want is for the finance charges to eat all your profits (and then some).

Unless you've got a big wad in the bank, this naturally means you're going to start small. You may even have to turn away business until you can grow into it. As much as it hurts, it's far less painful than going bankrupt.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

John durisko

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 02:35:54 am »

I like Riley's idea, except IMO no names/codes/colors near the A3F end. A mic wire needs to be ready for its closeup.

I've come across silly soundco's using tie-line/velcro.  It inevitably gravitates to the female end.

I think it's a lighting thing. They like to tie cables to truss right before it hits the fixtures. Maybe stagehands are programmed to do this with our mic cables too.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 10:34:20 am »

I've come across silly soundco's using tie-line/velcro.  It inevitably gravitates to the female end.
A clove hitch is extremely effective at keeping the tie line from slipping; velcro, well...you're on your own there - I hate the stuff for mic cables.  Jim, what method do you use to keep your cables wrapped and tidy?

To the OP: something else you may want to look into might be personalized labeling for the cable ties and/or cable jackets.

Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 10:38:44 am »

A clove hitch is extremely effective at keeping the tie line from slipping; velcro, well...you're on your own there - I hate the stuff for mic cables.  Jim, what method do you use to keep your cables wrapped and tidy?

To the OP: something else you may want to look into might be personalized labeling for the cable ties and/or cable jackets.

Agree on the velcro comment.  Gotta be the worst thing in audio.  The AV guys use it extensively.. but they can't wrap a cable either, or do so without pulling the BNCs off the 5 wire.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 11:18:46 am »

Agree on the velcro comment.  Gotta be the worst thing in audio.  The AV guys use it extensively.. but they can't wrap a cable either, or do so without pulling the BNCs off the 5 wire.

Somewhere out there are all these guys who have figured out that they don't want the velcro at the mic end, so you go to repatch the stage and find a bundle of 24 velcro tapes twisted up at the snake head.
Jay Barracato

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Hand soldered mic cables - opinions please
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53:23 pm »

Thanks for more tips, folks.
To help keep costs down, I will not be worrying (at first) about personalized jacket/ties, and I will be leaving velcro/ties up to the end user to supply.
No I don't plan to go into debt (yet) over this, nor risk my savings or house. I can afford to buy outright a couple thousand feet of cable and couple hundred connectors. After building those out, see if I can sell them, and look at numbers (pieces per hour, parts costs, efficiencies, wife's attitude, etc). If it looks promising at that point, than I will worry about setting up business, vendor dealerships, accounting/ordering/inventory software, improved shop gear etc etc.

I still haven't settled on a specific cable. Right now I'm liking Whirlwind's WMKPVC, but thinking that a spiral shield will be much easier to work with than undoing braids.
Connectors will be Neutrik XX series. Silver solder is out.
Lengths will be mostly 25-ft, with a few 50s and 10s.

I have chosen a brand name, but need to do trademark search.

I still haven't heard much of your opinions/preferences from my original questions.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 09:17:30 pm »

If only they had a few velco ties around these cables-somebody would shoot themselves
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 12:32:49 am »

If only they had a few velco ties around these cables-somebody would shoot themselves
I love how the feeder cable is buried under everything else.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 08:38:27 am »

Crosstalk ?? We got no stinkin crosstalk.

What's "right" in theory seems to matter not so much in the real world....
At 1 show I did, all techical was in a 20 x 2 "box" 50 feet from stage left. Used every single XLR and AC on that gig. Only time in history I got to the bottom of the wire trunks
Monitor beach was in that box as well. I managed to get FOH about 20 feet into the room. Shame to have a 200 foot snake coiled up under the PM3K
Squints were running their cues by walkie-talkie, with the hog beside the 500M.
Real "good times" when the scenic designer has absolute rule over all departments. The only good point was I got to put the PA where I needed it. Squints wern't so fortunate with the front truss....

I know a lot of you make good coin, but I hate corpy.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 11:45:40 am »

Joseph-

You've got to either undercost everyone - on what is a commodity item for most of mic cable customers - or edge-engineer, and attract those few clients willing to pay multiples for perceived benefits.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 11:45:40 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.