ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Volume Control  (Read 19823 times)

Karl Bader

• Karl Bader
Wireless Volume Control
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »

Hey All!

First wanted to say thank you in advance for your replies! It is much appreciated!

I am having a problem finding a solution for a low budget install we are doing. Basically it's a weight room sound system, blast music that can pump you up! The problem we are having is finding a solution to having wireless volume control of the system. That's all we need! A very simple RF remote would work great! We can't find anything like that! A simple plug in before it signal hits the amp and done would be fine. Ipod or Iphone control is an option but not ideal... Crestron or AMX is a bit budget breaking we believe.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Wireless Volume Control
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:33:04 PM »

Hey All!

First wanted to say thank you in advance for your replies! It is much appreciated!

I am having a problem finding a solution for a low budget install we are doing. Basically it's a weight room sound system, blast music that can pump you up! The problem we are having is finding a solution to having wireless volume control of the system. That's all we need! A very simple RF remote would work great! We can't find anything like that! A simple plug in before it signal hits the amp and done would be fine. Ipod or Iphone control is an option but not ideal... Crestron or AMX is a bit budget breaking we believe.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Karl

It's impossible to give any useful suggestions without more information about the existing system.

Karl Bader

• Karl Bader
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »

It's impossible to give any useful suggestions without more information about the existing system.

Crown CTS amp, Rane 2 channel mixer, JBL Control speakers, Middle Atlantic Rack, Belden Wire... Rack in a back closet which is why the RF solution...

Thanks,

Karl

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »

Why does it have to be wireless? I also think that a wireless remote in a situation like that is going to walk or get lost.

-Hal

Aaron Bott

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:33:26 AM »

Why not an IR kit and put the receiver in the room? Yes you still have to aim it at the nearest wall to the rack's closet but it's cheaper.
Aaron Bott
Untouchable Productions

Please excuse any typos, abbreviations, or brevity as I frequently utilize my iPad to access PSW.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:20:29 AM »

Why not an IR kit and put the receiver in the room? Yes you still have to aim it at the nearest wall to the rack's closet but it's cheaper.
What would the distance be from the transmitter to the IR receiver and what would you actually be controlling?

I'm with Hal on this, a wireless remote seems likely to get lost, go dead, get stepped on (or have a weight dropped on it), etc.  If you can get cabling out to an IR receiver or anything like that then it seems likely that you could get a low voltage control cable out to a small wall plate volume control that controls a two channel VCA back at the rack, maybe something like http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=169 and http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=13.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:40:14 AM »

What would the distance be from the transmitter to the IR receiver and what would you actually be controlling?

I'm with Hal on this, a wireless remote seems likely to get lost, go dead, get stepped on (or have a weight dropped on it), etc.  If you can get cabling out to an IR receiver or anything like that then it seems likely that you could get a low voltage control cable out to a small wall plate volume control that controls a two channel VCA back at the rack, maybe something like http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=169 and http://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=13.
ANd just to add-are you actually adjusting the volume that often?  Isn't the whole idea of an exercise/workout room to get exercise?

Then why not get up and WALK to the amp rack or a simple wall mounted volume control? 

If you go wall mounted there are much cheaper options.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Karl Bader

• Karl Bader
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »

Really simple, we give the client what they want... This was the key that they wanted for the install...

Also I'm not sure that there is a pro-amp with IR capabilities... I know the CTS does not, which confuses me on your response. Also this is a college, things get stolen...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »

Really simple, we give the client what they want... This was the key that they wanted for the install...

If it was me-I would have checked out a solution before promising them anything.  So what sort of budget do you have for this?  I assume the customer is already OK with the budget?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »

Also I'm not sure that there is a pro-amp with IR capabilities... I know the CTS does not, which confuses me on your response. Also this is a college, things get stolen...
Okay, now I'm confused, are you looking for a handheld wireless remote that you know will likely be stolen, a permanently mounted wireless remote or some simple and inexpensive way to control the volume from out in the room?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.