ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic level controller for pubs, bars, clubs  (Read 3344 times)

eytan gidron

Automatic level controller for pubs, bars, clubs
« on: March 14, 2012, 04:30:30 AM »

Hi all,

I am looking for a good quality “automatic level controller” for use in installations in dance bars and clubs (inserted between the DJ mixer and the system DSP). It should have a decent sound quality and the gain reduction should be smooth and unnoticeable (stepped level reductions are unacceptable). I have used the Apart “Audiolock”, but I don’t have access to it anymore.

http://www.apart-audio.com/uploaded_files/productFiles/AUDIOLOCK/Audiolock_Tech.pdf

Also it would be nice if it would have an option for adding an external warning LED, so the DJ can see when limiting is taking place.

I would appreciate recommendations for such units.

Thanks,

Eytan

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Automatic level controller for pubs, bars, clubs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:09 AM »

Hi all,

I am looking for a good quality “automatic level controller” for use in installations in dance bars and clubs (inserted between the DJ mixer and the system DSP). It should have a decent sound quality and the gain reduction should be smooth and unnoticeable (stepped level reductions are unacceptable). I have used the Apart “Audiolock”, but I don’t have access to it anymore.

http://www.apart-audio.com/uploaded_files/productFiles/AUDIOLOCK/Audiolock_Tech.pdf

Also it would be nice if it would have an option for adding an external warning LED, so the DJ can see when limiting is taking place.
Eytan, when I see "automatic level controller" I think more of an automated compressor/expander that tries to keep the level at a defined level while the device referenced is a form of limiter.  That unit also seems to be looking at the signal level, not the sound pressure level, so someone could still increase the level downstream of it.  So I guess the two questions are whether you are looking for a leveller or a comp/limiter and whether it should monitor and react to the audio signal level or the sound pressure level?

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »

Brad had the right questions.  An Aphex Compellor is a standard for this sort of need. It may not be the right tool for YOUR needs, but it is widely used and accepted for this purpose. It isn't cheap, but works very well and if used properly, almost undetectable.

http://www.aphex.com/products/320d/

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »

Are you looking for a level controller or a level limiter?  To me they are two different things. An automatic level controller should (IMHO) attempt to keep the output at a constant level regardless of input. In other words, if the DJ is playing at a low output, the automatic level controller will boost the input to achieve the desired output, and if the DJ output is too hot, the controller will reduce the input gain to compensate.  A limiter, on the other hand, will only limit the maximum level, and not try to boost a weak signal.

It sounds like you're looking for a limiter, and in that case I would recommend the Drawmer SP2120 http://www.drawmer.com/products/protection/sp2120-speaker-protector.php

It will reduce the gain without adding unnecessary compression

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.