ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugins and toys for an Sc-48  (Read 12859 times)

Nathan Lehouillier

Plugins and toys for an Sc-48
« on: December 04, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »

Hello Lab,

I Just bought my first kind of real console and am looking to Pimp my desk. A friend has advised the cup/Beer holder option and the Cranesong plugin. I have a single space tascam cd player and a UPS in the 8 space rack. I was looking at possibly getting a word clock?
Thanks in advance,

Nate
KDS&L
PS where did the spell check go :-\

John Heinz

• Concert Quality Sound
Re: Plugins and toys for an Sc-48
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:31:48 PM »

Here's my tips.

Save your money, no need for a word clock on any Digi. Spend the money on some small near field monitors, self powered or an amp to drive them.

Get a rack drawer for the documentation and accessories.

Run 1 power supply direct to the AC line, the second through the UPS, not both on the UPS.

McDSP Livepack.

Take a "P Touch" and re-label mic inputs 17-48.

Dedicate some USB sticks just for use with the console, don't put any other junk on them, just show files.

Install the I-Lok inside the console. It goes inside the little panel on the right hand side.

It's an awesome console, enjoy it !!!

John Heinz,
Concert Quality Sound

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »

Hello Lab,

I Just bought my first kind of real console and am looking to Pimp my desk. A friend has advised the cup/Beer holder option and the Cranesong plugin. I have a single space tascam cd player and a UPS in the 8 space rack. I was looking at possibly getting a word clock?
Thanks in advance,

Nate
KDS&L

The external clock thing is bogus.  There, I said it.  Now to find the Nomex® longjohns...

I've not used the Crainsong plugs (since I'd have to buy the license myself), but I recommend getting licenses for the full "Venue" plug in pack.  The Pultec EQs and Fairchild compressors, a couple of different Urie 1176LN variants, the Aggro compressor and the 7 band EQ make it worth the money.

After that, consider the Waves plug ins (just don't wait for the TDM versions you'll need to be on sale :( ).  The Live bundle is the thing, but you might want to get demo licenses to see if you need all of what's included.  The Waves plugs are thrifty with DSP.

That all said, with the limited amount of DSP available in the SC48 you need to take a long, hard look at some plugs:  they're processing hogs.  Almost all the pitch-shifting plugs use a full DSP chip.  Some plugs use the same amount of DSP per instance, others take their big bite on the first instance with subsequent instances using 50% as much.

The configuration of the desk will also affect how much DSP you have left for plugs.  Fewer buses & fewer graphic EQs will use less DSP.  No surprise, but reducing a config to what you really need can free up enough DSP to give you another plug in or 2.

Enjoy the SC48.  It's a nice, compact desk that gives you peek at what the Venue "system" is capable of.

Tim Mc

ps.  Just saw John's post.  He's spot on.  I need to try the McDSP....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Roland Clarke

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 04:39:53 AM »

I'd echo all the above comments, Cranesong is probably best left out for the SC48 s you have limited plugin slots and I would strongly recommend those plugs that will give you the most improvement.

I'm not sure what comes with the SC48, but if you don't have it, Echofarm is great as is Revibe.  The McDSP Compressorbank and particularly the Filterbank are great.  Smack is a must (again this might come supplied).  The BF Pultec's and Fairchild also give you something no other plug does, so Tim is on the money about these.

The Avid desks are great, and the plugin options still (IMHO) offer far more flexibility and than anything else in the field.  It's no accident that so many great live engineers/acts use them.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »

No need for a word clock.

I have a mac mini server and a KVM switch for recording and system tuning.  Works really well and is a conversation piece.

I highly recommend the Massey plug ins.  The limiter on the main mix is very useful, and the compressor is the best, easy to use comp I have found. 

I also would check out the Waves Hybrid EQ.  Seems very useful for live sound, especially for acoustic instruments.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Nathan Lehouillier

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »

Well Thanks,

I won't bother with the clock and the plug in advice has been noted.
I think I bought a screen to big. I got a 18.5" Sanyo the same size I have used on Prophile and it is kind of in the way for the lights:/
Going to pick the case up on Wednesday.
I am looking for an aluminum easy tilt??? any sources?
Anyone know where the spell check is?

Thanks,

Nate
KDS&L

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »

Well Thanks,

I won't bother with the clock and the plug in advice has been noted.
I think I bought a screen to big. I got a 18.5" Sanyo the same size I have used on Prophile and it is kind of in the way for the lights:/
Going to pick the case up on Wednesday.
I am looking for an aluminum easy tilt??? any sources?
Anyone know where the spell check is?

Thanks,

Nate
KDS&L

We had a hard time finding a 17" 4:3 monitor.  I think we finally found ours at a computer resale/salvage shop.

The easy tilt is a TMB product.  http://www.tmb.com/products/EZ-Tilt/  call them for current pricing.

The spell check is what you need, and it's in the limo... ;)  Uh, use FireFox or Opera and get real-time spell check.

Have fun with you new console.  You're gonna like it.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »

One of the best investments I made for use with an SC48 was the McDSP Channel G Compact version.  It uses very little DSP and it's a full channel strip with para EQ and dynamics modeled from Neve, SSL and API desks.  Since I started using it not one show has gone by that someone hasn't asked what I'm using on the desk.  WAY cool and easy to use.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

I wouldn't bother buying any plugins until you find an actual need for something specific.  The built-in EQ and dynamics are already pretty nice.

And definitely don't bother with the word clock.

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »

Hello Lab,

Thanks in advance,

Nate
KDS&L

Wireless Router
iPad or Tablet Pc
LED lamps
Logitech Trackball
Backlit Keyboard
Macbook Pro for recording!
Waves.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.