ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What powered top for this application?  (Read 14890 times)

Chip Dryden

Re: What powered top for this application?
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »

FYI- The QSC KW152's are 60 deg boxes
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:12:14 PM by Chip Dryden »

Evan Hunter

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »

EV ZXA5. You can get them with 60 degree horns, and if you go used can possibly turn up a pair for around $2k.

This is the first box I thought of.

If you do already have amps, I would look hard for a pair of SRX 722 or similar. Most powered boxes will not expand with you the way you want. In terms of array-ability in rooms and spl for metal shows. If you dont have monitors and just cant afford a bigger badder box for FOH, buy a box that will do the job for the small shows, but then can double as monitors when you upgrade the FOH. Like I said, I think you can find a box that will get the job done for now, but you may not be happy with it in the future.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:26:53 AM »

If you can spring for an additional budget to get new speakers, these are your ideal choice @ great price shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-SRX725-SRX-725-2-Way-Dual-15-Speaker-PA-DJ-Mobile-/370557753106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5646f69712
Give him an even lower offer and he will take the price down a bit more.
I got most of my gear from him.
In my experience, it is much better to get a used amp rather then used speakers, so get a used amp for them and you're all set for quite a few years.

Someone here says something like Buy expensive, cry once. Buy cheap, cry every day.

Well worth the extra $500.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 09:31:25 AM by Yosi Melamed »
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
What powered top for this application?
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »

Dual 15s over subs? I don't think that makes sense. Maybe 725s for full range but with subs you'll just be putting to much work on the high driver and not enough for the 215s. Just looking at the spec sheet JBL describes the 725 as a full range box while the 722 with duals 12s is called a high mid box. Same power rating. IMO the 722 is the clear choice for your application compared to 725s. You'll save space and have a more effectve product.

cliff truesdell

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »

The 725 is really a nice sounding speaker!

Steven Gauthier

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »

The 725 is really a nice sounding speaker!
I did think of getting the 725's at first for smaller gigs where a sub wouldn't be needed or space limitations but I thought that a the 722's would be a better match for the 728 subs. This would just mean that I would always have to bring at least one sub. Still debating whether or not to stick with my SRX build or try a powered top.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »

So how do you propose he utilize 2 tops per side?  If they have a nominal horizontal coverage of 70° and he doesn't splay them enough, he'll get CANCELLATION and lobing from comb filter that is created.  If he splays them far enough to avoid that, does he *really* need 140° of horizontal coverage per side?  Remember that this adds nothing to the total SPL at any single place in the coverage area....

As for the purpose of subs with a 3 way box... there's this thing called a "bottom octave."  Reproducing it requires more power than it takes to reproduce the other 8 octaves above it.  If the application doesn't require that bottom octave or that it be perceived equal to or louder than the mains, leave the subs at home... but my experience is that things sound better (and clients notice that) with subs.  YMMV.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Whoa there tex, I am not out to get under anyone's skin here.

Like other high end speakers, I simply assumed that a variation of the SRX speakers were available with a more narrow throw to allow arraying a couple per side.

I have seen a pair of Meyer powered 12's arrayed per side; however, they DO make a narrow throw version specifically designed for this purpose.

I suspect that the best option for the OP is to utilize a pair of SRX722's over a pair of SRX728 subs as others have eluded here.

Even used, it is going to be difficult (if not impossible) to even get the speakers for 2K.  From here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-JBL-SRX722-SRX-722-Speakers-/260913118015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbfa23b3f#ht_500wt_1175

A used pair at ~$2500.00.  The OP would still need to get some serious amps to push these speakers on top of this.

If 2K is a hard limit, and the OP would like to keep his quite excellent SRX728's, I think that either a pair Yamaha DSR112's or a pair of QSC KW122's would be the best choice.  I would personally choose the DSR's due to the significant price difference of the pair of speakers ($1400 for the DSRs vs $2200 for the KW's).

Both of these powered tops are quite powerful and should provide great sound for gigs up to around 300 IMHO.

If you start gigging regularly for 400+, you should easily be able to afford a more serious quad of tops to go over the SRX subs.  If you don't do the big gigs that often, rent the gear instead.

We really should avoid the word "Meyer" and 2K budget in the same sentence ..... especially 4 of them ;)

Steven Gauthier

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »

I think that either a pair Yamaha DSR112's or a pair of QSC KW122's would be the best choice.  I would personally choose the DSR's due to the significant price difference of the pair of speakers ($1400 for the DSRs vs $2200 for the KW's).

Both of these powered tops are quite powerful and should provide great sound for gigs up to around 300 IMHO.

If in fact one DSR112 over one SRX 728 per side will provide adequate SPL for up to 300 people, then I may get a pair until I can afford a pair of 722's and at that time I can use the DSR's for stage monitors.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 02:00:09 AM »

Doesn't seem l like there are any powered options that fit the OP's description. All the options mentioned so far are lower power / SPL or less applicable for use with SRX subs IMO.

Evan Hunter

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 02:45:56 AM »

If in fact one DSR112 over one SRX 728 per side will provide adequate SPL for up to 300 people, then I may get a pair until I can afford a pair of 722's and at that time I can use the DSR's for stage monitors.

I can tell you right now that 2 powered 12" speakers are not going to handle a metal show for 300 people. There are times where our 4 Turbosound Floodlights and 8 TSW 721 subs are pushed pretty hard for a 500 cap venue. Most metal shows are LOUD and very demanding on a PA.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 02:45:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.