ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What powered top for this application?  (Read 14903 times)

Steven Gauthier

What powered top for this application?
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »

I'm looking for a pair of high SPL powered tops to go over SRX subs for a metal sreamo band PA. I originally was going to go with a pair SRX722's each powered by a bridged Crown XTi2000 but I am now looking at any powered alternatives that may be comparable to the 722's fed with 2,000 watt performance (if one exists). Short term goal is to be adequate enough to do 150-250 people with a future goal to cover larger venues and crowds (400+). So maybe one box per side now expandable to a pair per side eventually.
High SPL, reliable, expanable (arrayable) & good match for passive JBL subs.
Any suggestions?

Steven Gauthier

Re: What powered top for this application?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »

I forgot to mention my budget is $1,500-$2,000 max per pair for something in good condition on the used market.
Is there something that will meet these needs or do I need to lower my expectations or raise my budget - or both?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:43:45 PM by Steven Gauthier »

Teddy Murphy

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »

In short, raise your budget.  I primarily only do metal bands (not by choice)  and my B rig is 4 srx722's over 4 728's.  The XTI 2ks are not a good amp for those speakers in my opinion.  I tried those when I first bought my rig (originally only 2 722's over 2 728s) and they were always out of gas even in smaller rooms.   Metal/screamo is loud.  I was attending a show over the weekend that had 2 qsc k153's and the guitarist's in said bands wouldn't turn down their amps and the sound guy had them in clip CONSTANTLY with only kick and vocals in them.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »

Hi Stephen,

For crowds of 400+, I would strongly recommend 2 tops over 2 subs (vs 1 top over 1 sub each side).  I suspect that you are going to have to raise your budget to cover that size of a crowd; however, SRX is a good speaker to do it with IMHO ..... you just need more than 1 per side for that coverage.

@Teddy,
I was attending a show over the weekend that had 2 qsc k153's and the guitarist's in said bands wouldn't turn down their amps and the sound guy had them in clip CONSTANTLY with only kick and vocals in them.
For what the KW153's are made for, they are pretty good; however, it is a recipe for disaster to attempt kick drum without subs IMHO.

I don't see the purpose of full range 3-way 15's over subs either (although I have done this myself).

Some of the best sounding mid sized rigs I have heard were 2-way dual 12's over subs.  I think the OP is in the right direction here.

To the OP,  I don't know of any powered tops that meet your criteria.  A pair of the passive SRX722's over a pair of SRX728's is going to be very tough to beat (as mentioned, I would suggest two tops per side).

A little less powerful rig which is all powered would be a pair of KW122's per side over a pair of PRX618XLF's per side.  Again, way over your stated budget, but less expensive than the SRX rig (unless you can find a good deal used).

Good luck!

Steven Gauthier

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:06:14 PM »

A little less powerful rig which is all powered would be a pair of KW122's per side over a pair of PRX618XLF's per side.  Again, way over your stated budget, but less expensive than the SRX rig (unless you can find a good deal used).

Good luck!

My budget of less than $2k is just for the powered tops. I thought that I would start with two. I listed a short term goal of 150-250 people, so I thought maybe a pair of something like HD1521's, HPR152i's or PRX525's with plans to add a pair later to reach the 400+ number.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 11:43:16 PM by Steven Gauthier »

Brian Larson

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:20:09 AM »

My budget of less than $2k is just for the powered tops. I thought that I would start with two. I listed a short term goal of 150-250 people, so I thought maybe a pair of something like HD1521's, HPR152i's or PRX525's with plans to add a pair later to reach the 400+ number.

Do you already have monitors? If not, you might consider buying some dual purpose powered boxes that can be used as mains now and monitors later once you can afford to get the SRX tops.

The lower-mid level powered boxes you might find at Guitar Center (KW, HPR, DSR, PRX) are not designed to be used more than one per side. These boxes have pretty wide coverage and will not array well. If you really want to have a two per side powered rig you should look into the Meyer options (but don't plan on being anywhere near $2,000).

Out of curiosity, why do they need to be powered? You will already be hauling at least one amp around for the subs so why not another?

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:27 AM »

Unfortunately there is no powered top in your budget that can get as loud as the SRX 722.  One per side is more that adequate for 150-200 people and more.   I have used a 722 over two PRX618S-XLF per side for rock shows that size many times with no problems.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:12:59 PM by Chuck Simon »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

While I am a fan of the QSC Ks in some situations, I think you should stick to your SRX build! You've already got an amp rack, and I'd prefer the SRX config you mentioned to any of the powered pairs you mentioned for big shows.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:01:07 PM »

Hi Stephen,

For crowds of 400+, I would strongly recommend 2 tops over 2 subs (vs 1 top over 1 sub each side).  I suspect that you are going to have to raise your budget to cover that size of a crowd; however, SRX is a good speaker to do it with IMHO ..... you just need more than 1 per side for that coverage.

@Teddy,For what the KW153's are made for, they are pretty good; however, it is a recipe for disaster to attempt kick drum without subs IMHO.

I don't see the purpose of full range 3-way 15's over subs either (although I have done this myself).

Some of the best sounding mid sized rigs I have heard were 2-way dual 12's over subs.  I think the OP is in the right direction here.

To the OP,  I don't know of any powered tops that meet your criteria.  A pair of the passive SRX722's over a pair of SRX728's is going to be very tough to beat (as mentioned, I would suggest two tops per side).

Good luck!

So how do you propose he utilize 2 tops per side?  If they have a nominal horizontal coverage of 70° and he doesn't splay them enough, he'll get CANCELLATION and lobing from comb filter that is created.  If he splays them far enough to avoid that, does he *really* need 140° of horizontal coverage per side?  Remember that this adds nothing to the total SPL at any single place in the coverage area....

As for the purpose of subs with a 3 way box... there's this thing called a "bottom octave."  Reproducing it requires more power than it takes to reproduce the other 8 octaves above it.  If the application doesn't require that bottom octave or that it be perceived equal to or louder than the mains, leave the subs at home... but my experience is that things sound better (and clients notice that) with subs.  YMMV.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:18:02 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »

EV ZXA5. You can get them with 60 degree horns, and if you go used can possibly turn up a pair for around $2k.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.