ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RS232 interface  (Read 4689 times)

Clark Johnson

RS232 interface
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »

I'm looking for a company that does professional RS232 interfaces.  We want to install some TVs around the building for digital signage, but would like a professional system that can easily expand to other items like projectors, media players, maxtrixies.  Does anyone know of a system they would recommend?  I've seen companies like Crestron, AMX, and Extron.  Are there other options?

David Elsbury

• Computer says no...
Re: RS232 interface
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »

Do you mean you would like a standalone controller? Or an interface for a PC? Mac?

David Buckley

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »

Assuming you are looking for a control element, you've mentioned Crestron and AMX, you may also like to consider Stardraw AV.  There are tradeoffs involved.

Clark Johnson

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »

Do you mean you would like a standalone controller? Or an interface for a PC? Mac?

A standalone controller, I would like to have some very simple wall stations that customers can understand.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »

Unless you have a lot of time and resources to invest, I would stay away from AMX and Crestron. Super-flexible, and getting easier to program, but programming an efficient Crestron or AMX system is not a trivial task!

The Extron System is fairly simple and has some nice-looking user interface templates.

If you don't need a touch-panel type interface, it's hard to beat SP Controls for simple, bullet-proof control. They are a great company, as well. You can get tech-support on the phone in about 2 minutes.

Aurora Multimedia WACI control system is inexpensive and flexible as well.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:08:09 PM »

I think it all depends on what you are really trying to do.  There are systems that are cost effective and easier to program that may be fine for a basic room presentation system but that can't support a larger number of controlled devices, serial or network control, integration into campus or building wide systems, integration with Outlook or other scheduling software and so on.  Conversely, systems that can support such more advanced functionality tend to be more complex and expensive.  It is just like anything else, define what it is you want it to do and then start assessing the options on that basis rather than picking brands and then trying to mold your needs around the brands and products selected.

Paul Lipp

• SR Forums
  • around here since 2007
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »

I'm looking for a company that does professional RS232 interfaces.  We want to install some TVs around the building for digital signage, but would like a professional system that can easily expand to other items like projectors, media players, maxtrixies.  Does anyone know of a system they would recommend?  I've seen companies like Crestron, AMX, and Extron.  Are there other options?

Clark,

I'm an AMX ACE (amx certified expert), what you appear to be asking isn't complex, if you can give more information I would be glad to point you in a direction if you decided that route.

I design these systems for a living and they are about as reliable as reliable can be. With that said, it does come down to who programs it... there are a million ways to accomplish the same goal, but some people do it more efficiently.

This is all the same for Crestron, which I have limited knowledge with, but it comparable to AMX.

Brian Tennyson

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »

I think if you look at most of the major signage manufacturers out there you will find that they have rs-232 and IR integrated into their players. I am most familiar with CoolSigns and UCView and they both can turn your displays on and off through 232.

And while I am a big fan of AMX it might be overkill for a signage project, unless you are using their Inspired Signage package, which I believe has it's own 232 interface.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.