ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??  (Read 36662 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: Have you checked your tire pressure lately??
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2015, 12:05:24 PM »

Is that accuracy or precision? There is a difference between the two terms, and they are often confused.

I have a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer with a precision of +/-0.05 degrees (meaning that the display shows tenths of a degree), but it is inaccurate by several degrees.
The tool has inherent precision. Accuracy comes from calibration.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »

I like to joke that human hearing has couple digits more resolution than accuracy. :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »

bump... just checked my car tires and puny 25-26 psi....

low profile tires are hard to eyeball.

JR

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »

bump... just checked my car tires and puny 25-26 psi....

low profile tires are hard to eyeball.

JR

I don't know about yours, but my low profile tires take a lot of pressure. The recommended pressure is 41psi.

Mac

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »

This is timely, my day job just sent out a memo to check all the company vehicles...

Apparently someone was on low tread tires and flipped his car via hydroplaning. Guy was okay.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »

Replaced all my tires with new Michelins just before the start of the winter. Got 65,000 out of the originals and have only had 6 or so flat tires during that period of time.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »

Since we are mostly on the subject of tire pressure, remember that many trailer tires use much, much higher tire pressures.  75 - 80 psi is common.  I lost a trailer tire because a tire shop used a standard valve stem on my stage trailer.  Trailer rims need higher pressure valve stems.

Werner Stagemobiles need 100 -110 psi if I remember correctly.  Those tires are rated for more weight and require special wheels and valve stems to handle the tire pressure!  Carefully check what the tire requires.  I see lots of "passenger car" tires and rims swapped onto trailers.  It could be dangerous or even deadly putting 80 psi into a questionable "used passenger car tire" used to quickly (or cheaply) get your trailer going !!!

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »

I don't know about yours, but my low profile tires take a lot of pressure. The recommended pressure is 41psi.

Mac
Over the decades when I was driving more miles a day (each way), than I now drive a full week, I experimented with (too) high inflation (45-50#), but these days I am running modest 32#.  25# was too low but would probably survive my short shopping trips.

Back in the day when I had a longer commute I had one tire fail on the highway (at speed) due to overheating from under inflation, but it did fail gracefully, mainly causing an extra PIA driving home that night. Did I mention low profile tires are hard to eyeball..? Especially if you don't look at them every time..  :o  Now I try to be more regular about  topping them up, and use a tire gauge to determine status.

I do like to pump my bike tires as hot as they can stand 50-60# because I can feel the difference in rolling resistance.

JR

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »

Over the decades when I was driving more miles a day (each way), than I now drive a full week, I experimented with (too) high inflation (45-50#), but these days I am running modest 32#.  25# was too low but would probably survive my short shopping trips.

Back in the day when I had a longer commute I had one tire fail on the highway (at speed) due to overheating from under inflation, but it did fail gracefully, mainly causing an extra PIA driving home that night. Did I mention low profile tires are hard to eyeball..? Especially if you don't look at them every time..  :o  Now I try to be more regular about  topping them up, and use a tire gauge to determine status.

I do like to pump my bike tires as hot as they can stand 50-60# because I can feel the difference in rolling resistance.

JR

If I don't keep my tires at 41psi they get cut when I hit a pothole. The northeast in winter is a pothole wonderland.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »

If I don't keep my tires at 41psi they get cut when I hit a pothole. The northeast in winter is a pothole wonderland.

Mac
:o  ::)  :(  I used to live up there....    no frost heaves in MS.... ;D  Not that they take better care of the roads down here, but nature is just less of a biotch.

I figured out in the '80s I could move south, and nobody would stop me.  8)

JR

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.