ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eq'ing drums in IEM  (Read 3604 times)

Troy Lourens

Eq'ing drums in IEM
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:23:07 AM »

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on eq'ing instruments (mainly drums) in an IEM mix? My thoughts are to not eq and if the drummer is that un-happy with his drum sound in his IEM then he should look at tuning his drums better, changing drum heads, chose better mics, better mic placement etc.. I think there are way more things that should be addressed before demanding that his drums be eq'd to sound a certain way? Especially since the idea of IEM is to MONITOR what is going on.

Basically the band i play in (and run the IEM rig for - all sennheiser IEM and LS9-16 racked up with splitters etc) carries all of our own mics and the drummer, in his infinite wisdom, has chosen his own mics based on his own research to use on his DW collectors kit and wants me to EQ them to his liking.

Obviously, i think this is ridiculous. Im the guitar player and ive kept my channel strip eq flat and have worked on mic placement, mic choice and amp eq to get a sound i like and to my knowledge this also translates well to FOH too. So why should the drummer not do the same. Especially since he did so much research on mics to settle on what he has.

Am I being to harsh on him?

David Parker

Re: Eq'ing drums in IEM
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »

Hi,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on eq'ing instruments (mainly drums) in an IEM mix? My thoughts are to not eq and if the drummer is that un-happy with his drum sound in his IEM then he should look at tuning his drums better, changing drum heads, chose better mics, better mic placement etc.. I think there are way more things that should be addressed before demanding that his drums be eq'd to sound a certain way? Especially since the idea of IEM is to MONITOR what is going on.

Basically the band i play in (and run the IEM rig for - all sennheiser IEM and LS9-16 racked up with splitters etc) carries all of our own mics and the drummer, in his infinite wisdom, has chosen his own mics based on his own research to use on his DW collectors kit and wants me to EQ them to his liking.

Obviously, i think this is ridiculous. Im the guitar player and ive kept my channel strip eq flat and have worked on mic placement, mic choice and amp eq to get a sound i like and to my knowledge this also translates well to FOH too. So why should the drummer not do the same. Especially since he did so much research on mics to settle on what he has.

If you have it set up where changing the eq only affects the in ear mix, then what would it hurt to pacify him? I'm assuming you are sending an unaffected split to FOH.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:19:28 AM »

Hi,

I always EQ the drums for IEM's so they don't sound raw and flat. Even the best mics on well tuned drums still sound dry and raw. I add a little verb too. There's nothing wrong with using the EQ for your IEM's. Don't just stick with flat, make it sound as good as you need. Don't over do it though. You have a console that can handle it. It's his mix.

If they need EQ'ing out front, they probably need EQ'ing for IEM's as well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:04:13 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »

and to my knowledge this also translates well to FOH too.

I have no doubt that your choice in amp, amp mic, placement and settings contributes to a good guitar sound. I also will bet that there is EQ being applied to your amp for FOH, even if it's just a high pass filter to get rid of the mud. EQ at FOH is a good thing to ensure that all the instruments together sound their best as an ensemble given the venue, crowd size, etc.

If it's fine to EQ a channel for FOH to make it sound good, why not EQ the drums for monitors so that they sound good to the drummer?  I'd imagine on ears, a drummer would want a more pronounced kick, and on ears that may be more click than the thud you'd get at FOH with subs. But without EQ, he may hear little due to the limits of LF on IEMs...

You said you have an LS9 - set up his EQs to his liking, hit save, and be done with it.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »

I always EQ the drums for IEM's so they don't sound raw and flat. Even the best mics on well tuned drums still sound dry and raw. I add a little verb too. There's nothing wrong with using the EQ for your IEM's. Don't just stick with flat, make it sound as good as you need. Don't over do it though. You have a console that can handle it. It's his mix.

If they need EQ'ing out front, they probably need EQ'ing for IEM's as well.

X2
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 24 queries.