ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: <$10K Digital Mixer Choices - Compact SI, Studiolive  (Read 19698 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: <$10K Digital Mixer Choices - Compact SI, Studiolive
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2011, 11:48:31 pm »

So you're not wanting to spend $200 to make sure you don't get scammed out of $5700 even though you would still come out $1000 cheaper than the $6900 quote you got somewhere else?

Whoah there - where did I say I was not willing? I absolutely am. All I did was ask if anyone knew of a better service. I just learned about escrow, for all I know the whole damn forum is going to comment here and say, "no this service is great and it does 1%"... whats wrong with asking around?. I have no idea where that price is on the scale of fees.

Craig Leerman

• Spanning the Globe as a
  • Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 01:53:13 am »

My choice would be to buy from a reputable dealer like Chuck's Washington Music, and not deal with a guy on ebay who probably doesn't have a brick and mortor store, and may be selling B stock returns and saying they are new. "Dude, I only opened the box to take some pics and make sure all the stuff was in there".  Even with an escrow account, it can be a real hassle if something is wrong.

Of course, I am putting together 2 SAC rigs so what do I know.  ;D
Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 09:04:57 am »

My choice would be to buy from a reputable dealer like Chuck's Washington Music, and not deal with a guy on ebay who probably doesn't have a brick and mortor store, and may be selling B stock returns and saying they are new. "Dude, I only opened the box to take some pics and make sure all the stuff was in there".  Even with an escrow account, it can be a real hassle if something is wrong.

Of course, I am putting together 2 SAC rigs so what do I know.  ;D
Craig

I've been following this thread and it looks like the OP has made up his mind on the SI24. Nice board, but most if not all of you know I'm an analog guy, run an APB board, yada, yada, yada.

I have no opinion on the board other than to say it was one of many I looked at before buying the APB.

If it were me that was about to pull the trigger on the board, either through an unknown Ebay reseller or through a  known dealer, Ebay or not, then my choice would be to use the known and authorized reseller for the product.

If it were Ebay and the reseller known then I would not have an issue with paying using Paypal. It's tracked and very, very few people have been burned using the service. I personally have made hundreds of transactions for equipment and guitars costing many thousands of dollars and to this day have been burned once on a $20 speaker. Even in that case my money was returned 30 days after filing my complaint by Paypal.

In this case I feel sure that there are known dealers out there who can compete with the lowest price the OP has been quoted. Using a known and respected dealer offers the OP the opportunity to work with that dealer AFTER the sale, and that point alone would certainly make me feel better.

I suggest the OP, now that he has decided on his board of choice, seek out a reputable dealer to work with, location not being a primary factor in the choice. I'll also suggest the OP start by calling Charlie Tappa the owner of Pro Sound Service here in MA. Charlie has a perfect reputation for sales and service. He has helped me and other members many times with low pricing and excellent service.

Choose your board, use a known dealer who can support you after the sale.

http://www.prosoundservice.com/

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 11:13:41 pm »

Hey man I appreciate your thoughts, but SAC doesn't work for my needs at all and the thread had moved on to me trying to ask the LAB about a potential ebay purpose. I appreciate your enthusiasm but I'm feeling a bit thread hijacked!
If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. Simple as that.

An escrow service is a good idea, but what do you guys think about doing it without one? Is being a "top rated seller" and an authorized dealer good enough for you guys to just buy through ebay/paypal or would you go for something more secure like escrow?
PayPal does offer some buyer protection, depending on the type of account you have. I'm certainly not an expert on this (my wife handles those kinds of details). I do know this, though, it costs about 2.9% from paypal to get buyer protection (just went through this myself).  Not the same as escrow by any means, but the minimum I'd go with.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 09:00:36 pm »

So here is how this played out:

I called Harman / Soundcraft in Wisconsin, and they were able to confirm that dealer I was looking at was legit and that they know them well. I went though with the purchase and a few short days later I have a Compact SI 24 on my desk, for the excellent price of $5764.

Thanks for all of your help! This is a great forum. 

Sebastiaan Meijer

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 12:54:06 pm »

Well that is a dismal outlook! I'd like to make the assumption in this conversation that my skills are generally appropriate for the scale of my gigs. Is it really absurd to splurge a little on a piece of gear I don't think will outgrow me for some time? That sounds so dismal :( I want to plan for the future a little bit, I expect (hopefully??) to do better and better and eventually find myself using the full extent of that console and have learned a lot along the way.

I don't think the guitar / instrument comparison works completely. No one hire's guitar player's in any way based on a guitar they own. But, If I can run in ears at any job I do because I have tons of mixes, that's part of my appeal. Obviously, what kind of job I do is the other (bigger) part, but I feel like the former has to help. Next thing I know I've mixed a bunch of shows on ears and I've got my in-ear mixing chops up even more. I feel like its win win as long as I'm not buyin anything too insane: I definitly should not take out a loan for an SC48.

I don't know, maybe I am just justifying being a gearslut. I realize this thread has run away from the original topic a bit but I appreciate everyone's thoughts.... Anyone agree with me though? :)

Samuel,

You try to do two things at one time: getting some better gear under your finger tips to grow yourself, and getting some better gear to be hired. This conflicts. If you want to learn how to mix on a really good sounding mixer, rent one. If you want to get hired, make a package that gets the job done. Maybe even your trusty old analog stuff.
I've mixed way too many A-level acts on those 'yeah, will play two songs at this and this event" using whatever appears available in the room. Mics, speakers and a decent EQ tool make most of the difference there. So I put some mics in the bagpack, negotiate the best speakers they can provide, and in a really good mood throw in a Soundweb London or Dolby Lake in the car. Always grumble about the weight once you have to haul it through an inner city over a few hundred meters, but sometimes it's worth it.
Stop bitching about LS9's. They sound like an LS9. Period. Buy yourself some stuff that helps to educate your mix brain lobe. A quality reverb, or the "what mic for a kick drum"-flavour of the month. How about an RE201, just because we can, and all those guitar bands seem to like it. Those things make a difference, remain some value to sell them to the next guy on the block, and most importantly, you'll learn and hopefully outgrow the LS9's soon, just to grumble once you do your trick on it again.

Do I sound old?
Have to admit I bought an SD11 for myself, just for those series of gigs where you say: I'll throw something in the back of the car.
Sebas
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.