ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SA/Smaart/Driverack Software on Mac running windows  (Read 5376 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
SA/Smaart/Driverack Software on Mac running windows
« on: December 24, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »

Hi y'all. I am new to analyzing and tuning my system w/ computers, etc. I have recently got a Driverack, and although all I own are Macs, I've come to accept that I will be running Windows for my system tuning/analyzing software. Question is, has anyone done this successfully running a Windows platform on a Mac? Or is the software more hardware dependent, and must have a PC set up to work. I'm not so good w/computers or understanding their limitations, but would like to know if I can run these programs (System Architect, SMaart, Driverack software) from my Mac, or must I buy one of "those other" computers.

Thanks from a cyber dummy

dd

Alfredo Prada

Re: SA/Smaart/Driverack Software on Mac running windows
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 09:12:55 PM »

I run Smaart/Systune/System Architect/Driverack/Shure WWB, with a MacBook Pro on Bootcamp (Win7 32 bit) without problems, I could not make smaart/systune work on Parallels.

Langston Holland

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »

Hi Dan:

Preliminary stuff:

1. You won't be able to remain in the "cyber dummy" category if you want to use computers in audio, particularly if you want to get into measurement.

2. You do not need a dedicated Windows PC if you have an Intel based Mac with at least 4GB of memory and 40GB or so of spare hard disk space you can dedicate to Windows. The Intel based Macs are the most stable hardware platforms I've ever used for WinXP or Win7.

Decisions to make:

1. If you want native Mac measurement software, Smaart v7 is by far the best way to go. In this case I'd avoid Bootcamp and use Parallels with Win7 with all your non-measurement Windows software.

2. If you want to run Windows based measurement software, Smaart v7 should still be at the top of your list. In this case I'd use Bootcamp with Win7.

3. You'll need to decide between Win7 64bit which has the advantage of showing a pretty graph of all the RAM you have installed in your computer, or Win7 32bit which will run your audio and measurement software better and faster.

Further thoughts:

1. Buy a book on Win7 and the version of OSX you use. Sacrifice a week or two - you'll never regret it.

2. Audio measurement software needs a stable and fast connection to the audio hardware. Use Bootcamp for Windows when using Windows based measurment software. Even if you can get it to work, making measurements with Windows software in a virtual machine like Parallels through the OSX host and then to the audio hardware is a recipe for problems. A possible exception to this is SysTune when used with the Aubion x.8 Ethernet based audio hardware. Virtual machines are quite efficient in their handling of TCP/IP with the host OS.

3. Win7 rocks. Overall, I think that it's somewhat better than OSX. Nevertheless, I prefer the mindset behind OSX and spend 90% of my time there.

4. I very much prefer using Win7 32bit in a Bootcamp partition with audio only software installed. I run Win7 lean and mean and never have to worry about dozens of productivity apps, etc., slowing things down or creating conflicts with my audio apps. Every day life happens in OSX. I have the best of both worlds. The only other way to pull this off is with separate computers and that's a hassle.

5. It's fun having a computer that natively runs both Windows and Mac software. Mac hardware is a joy to own and use, although when all is said and done it costs about 2x the PC solution.

Merry Christmas! :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:59:40 PM by Langston Holland »
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 12:47:38 AM »

Hi y'all. I am new to analyzing and tuning my system w/ computers, etc. I have recently got a Driverack, and although all I own are Macs, I've come to accept that I will be running Windows for my system tuning/analyzing software. Question is, has anyone done this successfully running a Windows platform on a Mac? Or is the software more hardware dependent, and must have a PC set up to work. I'm not so good w/computers or understanding their limitations, but would like to know if I can run these programs (System Architect, SMaart, Driverack software) from my Mac, or must I buy one of "those other" computers.

Thanks from a cyber dummy

dd

I am running smaart native on mac osx lion, and all windows based stuff with VMware on either windows 7 or XP pro. I haven't run into any issues. I used to use bootcamp but it was too much of a PITA to keep restarting every time I wanted to use windows, and it wasn't as stable with VMware booting to read that vs its own image.

I have found it quite a bit easier to carry a separate laptop or run dual monitors for the system processing side of things, it can be a bit of a pain to keep minimizing your screen after each reading to make adjustments. It is nice to have 2 screens when going back and forth between software
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »

I run Smaart/Systune/System Architect/Driverack/Shure WWB, with a MacBook Pro on Bootcamp (Win7 32 bit) without problems, I could not make smaart/systune work on Parallels.

Thanks for that tip on which software crossover to use. Parrallels was the only one I'd heard of.

dd

Dan Lawrence

• Mountain Sound
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:16:07 PM »

Hi Dan:

Preliminary stuff:

1. You won't be able to remain in the "cyber dummy" category if you want to use computers in audio, particularly if you want to get into measurement.

2. You do not need a dedicated Windows PC if you have an Intel based Mac with at least 4GB of memory and 40GB or so of spare hard disk space you can dedicate to Windows. The Intel based Macs are the most stable hardware platforms I've ever used for WinXP or Win7.

Decisions to make:

1. If you want native Mac measurement software, Smaart v7 is by far the best way to go. In this case I'd avoid Bootcamp and use Parallels with Win7 with all your non-measurement Windows software.

2. If you want to run Windows based measurement software, Smaart v7 should still be at the top of your list. In this case I'd use Bootcamp with Win7.

3. You'll need to decide between Win7 64bit which has the advantage of showing a pretty graph of all the RAM you have installed in your computer, or Win7 32bit which will run your audio and measurement software better and faster.

Further thoughts:

1. Buy a book on Win7 and the version of OSX you use. Sacrifice a week or two - you'll never regret it.

2. Audio measurement software needs a stable and fast connection to the audio hardware. Use Bootcamp for Windows when using Windows based measurment software. Even if you can get it to work, making measurements with Windows software in a virtual machine like Parallels through the OSX host and then to the audio hardware is a recipe for problems. A possible exception to this is SysTune when used with the Aubion x.8 Ethernet based audio hardware. Virtual machines are quite efficient in their handling of TCP/IP with the host OS.

3. Win7 rocks. Overall, I think that it's somewhat better than OSX. Nevertheless, I prefer the mindset behind OSX and spend 90% of my time there.

4. I very much prefer using Win7 32bit in a Bootcamp partition with audio only software installed. I run Win7 lean and mean and never have to worry about dozens of productivity apps, etc., slowing things down or creating conflicts with my audio apps. Every day life happens in OSX. I have the best of both worlds. The only other way to pull this off is with separate computers and that's a hassle.

5. It's fun having a computer that natively runs both Windows and Mac software. Mac hardware is a joy to own and use, although when all is said and done it costs about 2x the PC solution.

Merry Christmas! :)

thanks for the details and breakin it down for me. I do have an intel macbook pro, but I think my memory is a bit shy. I'll read your post thoroughly.

Happy New year.

dd

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:16:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.