ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying/Rigging Guides  (Read 3301 times)

Jacob Robinson

Flying/Rigging Guides
« on: November 28, 2011, 11:34:07 PM »

Some time ago I thought I came across a link to a guide to general rigging practices or rigging as it applies to speakers, I can't remember which.

Just to silence the comments that I will likely get to the fact of "this is a job strictly for professionals".  I do realize this and I am not attempting to fly the speakers myself but I am doing some static calculations on flying a Yorkville E210 and I am trying to figure out the least visually intrusive hardware to fly it horizontally, and still meet the 10:1 safety factor.  It seems that wire rope would be less visible than shackles and chain.  But to re-assure everyone, once I design the rig and hardware it will be reviewed by a structural engineer.  This is sort of doubling as a statics project at school also.

Sorry about the rambling, but if anyone has a online guide or something published by speaker manufacturers it would be greatly appreciated.

-Jake

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Re: Flying/Rigging Guides
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:21:14 AM »

I'm sorry, I can't point you to any rigging guides (maybe someone else can). I just wanted to point out that in addition to the rigging itself, you also need to ensure that the structure is capable of supporting the load using the rigging you have chosen. This is easily overlooked, but it's just as important. Your engineer's review should consider both the rigging, the structure, and any other loads supported by that structure (stage lighting, house lighting, HVAC, decor, catwalks, etc.) as a complete system.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »

I'm sorry, I can't point you to any rigging guides (maybe someone else can). I just wanted to point out that in addition to the rigging itself, you also need to ensure that the structure is capable of supporting the load using the rigging you have chosen. This is easily overlooked, but it's just as important. Your engineer's review should consider both the rigging, the structure, and any other loads supported by that structure (stage lighting, house lighting, HVAC, decor, catwalks, etc.) as a complete system.
Just to reinforce this, I had a project where we were adding an audio system to an existing space that had initially been planned to have a system but it had been cut due to budget constraints.  I met with the original building Structural Engineer and explained what we were looking at to which he responded that it should be no problem since are loads were relatively small and every beam had been designed for the composite worst case.  Come time to coordinate the details and the Structural Engineer says oops, the two particular beams that we wanted to hang from actually have the composite worst case and can't take any additional load so we need to go one beam further out in either direction.  Well, the structure was 60' above the floor with a finished ceiling at 40' and a small gap in the ceiling through which we could direct access the structure above so going several feet out in both directions was a major undertaking.  The result of not actually being able to fly anything off the two beams we thought we would be able to use was an added $25,000+ cost for the additional scaffolding, substructure and labor required to span to the next beams in either direction.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.