ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Under Stage Sub Advice  (Read 14344 times)

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
Re: Under Stage Sub Advice
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 01:45:04 AM »

Brad, this is what I was told:
A stage heighth of 21 inches will have a clear space of 19 inches tall.

That would be the available height between the joists.  Under the joists will be at least 7" less.

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:46:59 AM »

So now that we have a height figured out, what about performance?  How low do you really need to go?  How loud do you need to go?  What is the size space (dimensions or seats?  What is the performance type (ie loudest)?  Is there a budget that guides this?

Without parameters, you can get all kinds of answers, that may or may not be related to each other in terms of performance.

With that height, the field gets narrowed down a good bit.

Regarding performance, I can only state that my personal gear used that I mentioned before (JBL SR4719X's and SR4733X's) is ok but of course does not have the coverage (loud in front and drops off after about 30 feet) in a school commons environment.  I am certain that we exceed 100dB at about 40 feet easily but no one complains!  The new room is slated to contain about 300-350 seats.  All funding now is designated to the facility and $0 for sound reinforcement.  A future capital drive will fund the main system later.  The ceiling area will be addressed to support a LCR hang unless there is a system that can provide the proper coverage with just LR.  I am sure that we can use donated funds for the subs as soon as a decision is reached. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »

Regarding performance, I can only state that my personal gear used that I mentioned before (JBL SR4719X's and SR4733X's) is ok but of course does not have the coverage (loud in front and drops off after about 30 feet) in a school commons environment.  I am certain that we exceed 100dB at about 40 feet easily but no one complains!  The new room is slated to contain about 300-350 seats.  All funding now is designated to the facility and $0 for sound reinforcement.  A future capital drive will fund the main system later.  The ceiling area will be addressed to support a LCR hang unless there is a system that can provide the proper coverage with just LR.  I am sure that we can use donated funds for the subs as soon as a decision is reached.
Well if yo uput the subs under the stage, you are going to have exactly the same problem you have now.   Loud in front and quieter in the rear.  NO way around that. No mater what speakers you choose.

If you want more even coverage, then you will have to fly the subs-and now the conversation takes on a whole new set of parameters.

Changing the subject, if you look at a LR situation, then you have to consider what will happen right down the middle of the room.  Unless you do panning on every instrument or are seated directly in the middle of the LR, you will all kinds of interference.  OF course once you start to pan various channels, it will sound different on each side of the room.

For a low budget situation, you are MUCH better off to start with a center cluster and have fills as needs to the sides (NOT as a left /right speaker) but as fills pointed down and out from the main cluster.

Since you have no budget, you need to determine what is most important to you-loud or low?  I would argue that in most cases if you have subs that are actually flat to 40Hz (not 10db down-flat) you will be Ok.  If somebody wants deeper bass-ask them to pay for it.

I know it seems like petty things, but the arguments about stage height are VERY relivant.  It sounds like you are being told very different things regarding the ACTUAL AVAILABLE HEIGHT for a large speaker cabinet.

I can say without a doubt that the person who told you 19" on a 21" stage is completely wrong-there is no way you could put a cabinet under there-without the stage either falling or sagging when somebody walks on it.  The span is simply to long.  They were not taking into account the joists (which is what Brad and I have been trying to point out).

Those are VERY real and VERY much in the way and HAVE to be accounted for.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »

If I can find the best sub for this application, the stage will be built to accommodate.  The only non-compromise point is the stage height unless it is a minimal upward deviation.  Your observations with the front are spot on and have been discussed.  They are just waiting on me to specify a sub product with actual dimensions.  Definitely not a "win, win" situation here.
In order to "find the best sub" you FIRST have to define what is "best".  Actual numbers-like SPL (be sure to conside what the number is A or C weighted-fast or slow or peak response-headroom etc)-freq response-room dimensions etc can go a long way towards defining this

Once you have those numbers (oh and don't forget budget-which may you biggest factor), THEN you can start to look for subs that will fit into the available space.

Other than that-you are just guessing and taking advice from people who have no real idea what your real needs are.

And then the other questions come up-like-is the whole front of the stage available to put the subs?  or are there steps in the middle?  How big/wide are the steps?  Are there any limitation on the width of where the subs can go? and so forth.

These are all things that HAVE to be considered if you want ot actually design something.  If you just want something that fits into a hole, without any regard as to whether or not it will have the desired performance, then put whatever in.  But don't come back and say it doesn't work well.

I know all this requires effort on  your part-and there are no simple answers.  But Brad and I DESIGN systems for specific uses, we  don't just throw stuff in a room and call it good.

I'm not trying to be ugly or anything-just trying to get you to think about the reality of this and what some of the problems may be-ahead of time.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »

Brad, this is what I was told:
A stage heighth of 21 inches will have a clear space of 19 inches tall.
a stage heighth of 28 inches will have a clear space of 26 inches tall The floor of the stage will be 2 inches thick consisting of 1/2 inch sheetrock or deadening felt sandwiched between 3/4 inch plywood,.plus carpet, approx. 1/4 inch thick.

If I can find the best sub for this application, the stage will be built to accommodate.  The only non-compromise point is the stage height unless it is a minimal upward deviation.  Your observations with the front are spot on and have been discussed.  They are just waiting on me to specify a sub product with actual dimensions.  Definitely not a "win, win" situation here.

Were you told that by the builder? The Architect? I see no mention of the support structure that will hold up that floor. Maybe they got an advance copy of that new levitator, but all the stage floors I've seen have a structure of 2x4 or 2x6 on 16" or 24" centers construction underneath.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.