ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Under Stage Sub Advice  (Read 14395 times)

Rufus G. Crowder

Under Stage Sub Advice
« on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

Looking for options, choices, and MSRP pricing on small subs to potentially be placed under a 21" stage in an approx. 90' W x 60' D room.  Some I have looked at are the Danley THMinis and the JBL VRX918S.  Is it possible to obtain similar performance of a couple of Danley TH118's or other dual 18 boxes by using multiples of any small sub that would fit under this stage?

I am checking to see if the ceiling deck would support flying a system that I could use flown subs also.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Under Stage Sub Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »

Looking for options, choices, and MSRP pricing on small subs to potentially be placed under a 21" stage in an approx. 90' W x 60' D room.  Some I have looked at are the Danley THMinis and the JBL VRX918S.  Is it possible to obtain similar performance of a couple of Danley TH118's or other dual 18 boxes by using multiples of any small sub that would fit under this stage?

I am checking to see if the ceiling deck would support flying a system that I could use flown subs also.
Is the 21" your actual clearance or the top of the stage?   Do you have any width or depth limitations?

Remember that it is a GOOD idea to fully enclose an under stage sub with double wall sheetrock (at a minimum) on all sides except the front and bottom.  So you are going to lose another 1.5" on the height.  Just something else to consider.

There are a number of various subs available, but there is always a tradeoff.  As you go lower, (for a given size) typically you lose sensitivity.

You say that you are looking for the performance of a couple of Danley TH118's.  Are you looking to match all the performance (low freq extension-max power output etc)?  Or would something that didn't go as low, but was as loud do the job for you?

It is important to accurately define the needs/expectations/limitations of a result, then look towards that end.

In the Danley line, the TH212 is a good "middle" between the TH118 and the THmini and would fit into the space.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:32:32 AM »

Is the 21" your actual clearance or the top of the stage?   Do you have any width or depth limitations?

Remember that it is a GOOD idea to fully enclose an under stage sub with double wall sheetrock (at a minimum) on all sides except the front and bottom.  So you are going to lose another 1.5" on the height.  Just something else to consider.

There are a number of various subs available, but there is always a tradeoff.  As you go lower, (for a given size) typically you lose sensitivity.

You say that you are looking for the performance of a couple of Danley TH118's.  Are you looking to match all the performance (low freq extension-max power output etc)?  Or would something that didn't go as low, but was as loud do the job for you?

It is important to accurately define the needs/expectations/limitations of a result, then look towards that end.

In the Danley line, the TH212 is a good "middle" between the TH118 and the THmini and would fit into the space.
21" is the top of the stage and is max height due to space restrictions of a drop down projection screen.  We wanted to use 28" but just cannot make it work.  I am currently using two JBL SR4719X dual 18's (30 inches laid on their sides) in a school commons environment and they are ok.  Was considering their 728's as they were 24" laid on their sides but they will not fit either.

I do understand the tradeoffs as I stopped packing around my dual 18's and went to some smaller singles and I really miss them but they were not practical for the rooms I was playing.  I suppose something not as low but was as loud would suffice.  Looking for some quality low end (contemporary Christian rock music).

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »

21" is the top of the stage and is max height due to space restrictions of a drop down projection screen.  We wanted to use 28" but just cannot make it work.  I am currently using two JBL SR4719X dual 18's (30 inches laid on their sides) in a school commons environment and they are ok.  Was considering their 728's as they were 24" laid on their sides but they will not fit either.

I do understand the tradeoffs as I stopped packing around my dual 18's and went to some smaller singles and I really miss them but they were not practical for the rooms I was playing.  I suppose something not as low but was as loud would suffice.  Looking for some quality low end (contemporary Christian rock music).
But we still don't know the height you have available.  Is the stage single layer or double layer construction?  Is it using 2x4 or 2x6 or other joist sizes?

Without knowing that height (and don't forget to subtract cavity lining) it is hard to start to search for a sub that will fit.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 03:25:55 PM »

21" is the top of the stage and is max height due to space restrictions of a drop down projection screen.  We wanted to use 28" but just cannot make it work.
A typical stage construction might be something such as 3/4" hardwood on 3/4" plywood on 2x6 joists with 2x4 top and base plates for the face which would thus leave about 11" of open height at the front.  I've also seen stages that were raised slabs and other than a built up front facade and the floor construction itself there was no accessible space under the stage.  That is why it is important to know what clear height and depth is actually available and not to go by the overall stage height.

Also, the stage front and area under the stage is sometimes used as a return air path, which makes the area under the stage a plenum space and requires any speakers in that space to be rated for plenum installation or to be installed in rated enclosures.

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 12:24:42 AM »

But we still don't know the height you have available.  Is the stage single layer or double layer construction?  Is it using 2x4 or 2x6 or other joist sizes?

Without knowing that height (and don't forget to subtract cavity lining) it is hard to start to search for a sub that will fit.
Ivan,
I was told that we only have 17.5 inches of height to use.  The stage will be double layered.  The width and depth and building an enclosure as you state is not a problem.  Brad, I am checking on your questions, however, I am 99% sure that this will not be used as a plenum space.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43:21 AM »

Ivan,
I was told that we only have 17.5 inches of height to use.  The stage will be double layered.  The width and depth and building an enclosure as you state is not a problem.  Brad, I am checking on your questions, however, I am 99% sure that this will not be used as a plenum space.
So now that we have a height figured out, what about performance?  How low do you really need to go?  How loud do you need to go?  What is the size space (dimensions or seats?  What is the performance type (ie loudest)?  Is there a budget that guides this?

Without parameters, you can get all kinds of answers, that may or may not be related to each other in terms of performance.

With that height, the field gets narrowed down a good bit.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 12:05:10 PM »

I was told that we only have 17.5 inches of height to use.  The stage will be double layered.  The width and depth and building an enclosure as you state is not a problem.
Maybe I'm missing something but you stated earlier it was 21" to the top of the stage floor.  A double layered stage is probably 1" to 1-1/2" thick, so that would leave 19.5" to 20".  If you have 17.5" clear that seems to leave just 2" to 2-1/2" for all of the actual stage structure and framing, which seems very limited.

Also think about the condition at the front of the stage.  Will you have to cut out vertical framing to create a speaker opening and would that require beefing up the header and/or framing to either side?  Do you need a runner or other framing at the bottom of the opening for either structural purposes or to provide a way to attach a grille?

It may sound like making a lot about nothing, but I've been the one in the field trying to figure out how to get subs under a church stage when the sub boxes were bigger than the openings provided apparently as a direct result of such issues not being properly considered.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »

It may sound like making a lot about nothing, but I've been the one in the field trying to figure out how to get subs under a church stage when the sub boxes were bigger than the openings provided apparently as a direct result of such issues not being properly considered.

Brad..... 

What's the problem???
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rufus G. Crowder

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 01:26:27 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something but you stated earlier it was 21" to the top of the stage floor.  A double layered stage is probably 1" to 1-1/2" thick, so that would leave 19.5" to 20".  If you have 17.5" clear that seems to leave just 2" to 2-1/2" for all of the actual stage structure and framing, which seems very limited.

Also think about the condition at the front of the stage.  Will you have to cut out vertical framing to create a speaker opening and would that require beefing up the header and/or framing to either side?  Do you need a runner or other framing at the bottom of the opening for either structural purposes or to provide a way to attach a grille?

Brad, this is what I was told:
A stage heighth of 21 inches will have a clear space of 19 inches tall.
a stage heighth of 28 inches will have a clear space of 26 inches tall The floor of the stage will be 2 inches thick consisting of 1/2 inch sheetrock or deadening felt sandwiched between 3/4 inch plywood,.plus carpet, approx. 1/4 inch thick.

If I can find the best sub for this application, the stage will be built to accommodate.  The only non-compromise point is the stage height unless it is a minimal upward deviation.  Your observations with the front are spot on and have been discussed.  They are just waiting on me to specify a sub product with actual dimensions.  Definitely not a "win, win" situation here.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 01:26:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.