ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: architectual lighting control communication protocol interface  (Read 6453 times)

Bill Beach

architectual lighting control communication protocol interface
« on: November 27, 2011, 08:17:21 PM »

we are using several of NSI/Leviton's CP units for control of our house lights.  in order for these 'LumaNet' devices to communicate with the MPX (NSI/Leviton's communication protocol), we use a IF501 a NSI device that basically translates the protocol from LumaNet to the MPX to control the dimmers & relay packs. 
we also use a IF501 to program the LuimaNet (CP) units.  depending on which model there are either 4 or 8 buttons that can be programmed to operate several dimmer channels each and set them to the programmed level when the button is pushed.
problem is the laptop computer we had been using to do said programming bit the dust.  newer laptops we have available not only do not have a RS-232 connection, but have Windows Vista or Windows 7.  NSI doesn't have the software that will operate on a Vista or 7 PC.  contact with them leaves me with the impression they aren't rushing to get out a new copy of the software.  (but they are still selling the IF501 unit).
it appears we will be stuck with finding an older laptop (or other PC) with a RS-232 connection and Windows XP or below.
does anyone on here have any other ideas?

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
Re: architectual lighting control communication protocol interface
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »

we are using several of NSI/Leviton's CP units for control of our house lights.  in order for these 'LumaNet' devices to communicate with the MPX (NSI/Leviton's communication protocol), we use a IF501 a NSI device that basically translates the protocol from LumaNet to the MPX to control the dimmers & relay packs. 
we also use a IF501 to program the LuimaNet (CP) units.  depending on which model there are either 4 or 8 buttons that can be programmed to operate several dimmer channels each and set them to the programmed level when the button is pushed.
problem is the laptop computer we had been using to do said programming bit the dust.  newer laptops we have available not only do not have a RS-232 connection, but have Windows Vista or Windows 7.  NSI doesn't have the software that will operate on a Vista or 7 PC.  contact with them leaves me with the impression they aren't rushing to get out a new copy of the software.  (but they are still selling the IF501 unit).
it appears we will be stuck with finding an older laptop (or other PC) with a RS-232 connection and Windows XP or below.
does anyone on here have any other ideas?
Having programmed these a few times, I've run into the same situation.  The last time my programming PC bit the dust, I simply picked up a used machine for cheap.  The likelyhood of finding one with a serial port is slim, though, so you're best off finding a PCMCIA RS-232 card.
No other device will translate LumaNet to MPX or DMX.  And you won't find a replacement system to be nearly as cheap.

David Vercoe

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »

why not get a RS-232 to usb? These are fairly cheap and for your windows problem if you are using I believe both vista and 7 have xp mod you can go to microsoft's website and download xp mode. I do know that vista had it because there were some problems when they made vista that it didn't read all programs that were written for xp so they made xp mode so you could run your xp software on vista. It is a wonderful thing your other option is you could get a windows xp disc and if your newer computers allow it you could set it up to dual boot and the other partition just put windows xp on that and you will be able to run the software there are many websites that guide you through the dual boot set up process two os's on one computer can't beat that. this should be able to solve your problem.
David Vercoe
Audio Technician
Roxborough Presbyterian Church
www.rpcnet.org

Bill Beach

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:33:04 AM »

why not get a RS-232 to usb?
I have a USB to RS-232.   NSI tech line tells me they won't work with their software.

David Buckley

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:14:39 AM »

Get a copy of Virtual PC free from the Microsoft website, and set it up as WIndows/Xp (or 98 or whatever).  Or use VMWare.  Any virtual solution.  That way you can keep an Xp installation going pretty much forever.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »

I have a USB to RS-232.   NSI tech line tells me they won't work with their software.
Pretty much every manufacturer out there will tell you that USB-->RS-232 is not supported.  At best, they'll offer a specific model that they've tried, and works, but only that model.  That doesn't, however, mean it won't work.  You simply won't know until you try.  If you can get your machine set up using either way mentioned, and it works, then cool; since you're just using it for programming, and not mission-critical stuff, it's worth a shot.

It is worth keeping in mind that Lumanet isn't WinXP software; it's actually DOS.  It just happened to work on WinXP.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.