ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need a scaler or converter for this install?  (Read 3124 times)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Do I need a scaler or converter for this install?
« on: November 26, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

I mainly focus on audio installs but occacionally do video and lighting work.  I worked for a number of years in corporate A/V, and also installed Home Theatre for quite some time before that, so I'm fairly familiar with video projection.

I've got an install in a middle school gym/auditorium and they just added a projector and screen to the mix.  I plan to run a 5 wire RGBHV from a wall panel to the projector, but I want to make sure all my bases are covered so they're prepared for different sources.  They will primarily be using a laptop, most likely supplied by teachers - no dedicated laptop, but I want to be prepared just in case they hook a DVD player into the mix.  To keep it simple I plan to use a RGB/VGA adapter and just have a single VGA input on the wall.  In the event that someone needs to connect a DVD player they can just use a RGB/VGA adapter on the output of the DVD player, correct? 

Another curveball...what about BluRay?  It is my understanding that it is only supported over HDMI due to DRM.  How does that factor into long runs?  Would HDMI baluns work, or would they not pass the DRM signal?  Would it make more sense to have a VGA and HDMI input on the wall, and then use the projector's remote control to choose the correct input?

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Do I need a scaler or converter for this install?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=dvs605&subtype=196&s=4

This should take care of your switching and upconversion.  You will want an audio model unless your running your audio sources through a mixer.  You may also want to look at a HDMI over Category wire solution if your distance is longer than HDMI limitations.
This space for rent

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »

Thanks Lee, that looks like it will do exactly what I need.  Any info on pricing?  I googled the model number but can't find anything.  I guess I'll have to call Extron tomorrow. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 23 queries.