ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction and what I do!  (Read 5371 times)

Chris Doades

Introduction and what I do!
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »

I didn't see a spot for introductions, so I thought I'd post here since this will be where I will spend most of my time posting!  Name is Chris.  I live in Indiana, and I am an audio recording graduate with an associates degree.  I attended the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in 2009-2010, and got my certifications for Pro Tools, SMAART v7, and many others.  I have been a live audio engineer for about 12 years now (running audio at my church), and have recently gotten into audio installations.  They are mostly small projects in nature, but my friend and I could be moving up to a big, professional type installation very soon as a local church is looking to upgrade their old system as well as adding a new sanctuary.  They will be getting an Adamson system with the Allen & Heath iLive t112.

As far as other projects, I have done a wireless outdoor PA system for a small town in Illinois, a few Church installations, two school PA systems (one in a gym, and the other at a football field), as well as some various live audio work.  I'll be posting another thread with all my installations and whatnot.  Anyways, it's great to be here! Hope to learn more from fellow engineers!  I know a lot already, but I know I don't know everything! 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Introduction and what I do!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »

I know a lot already, but I know I don't know everything!

Nope.  YOu need to learn to read and follow instructions.  Full, real names are required for participation.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chris Doades

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »

Nope.  YOu need to learn to read and follow instructions.  Full, real names are required for participation.

Did not see that.  It's changed though. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »

Did not see that.  It's changed though.

That was quick.

Be ready for a lot of questions and some critiques of things.  First would be to get your "friend John" to use a proper safety harness when in the lift.  Second would be to ask if he can provide the proper documentation as a licensed engineer for his mounting brackets.  Without an engineering certificate they are uninsurable, which brings up the matter of licensing, bonding and insurance for your business/work.  Liability is a b****.

Chris Doades

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »

That was quick.

Be ready for a lot of questions and some critiques of things.  First would be to get your "friend John" to use a proper safety harness when in the lift.  Second would be to ask if he can provide the proper documentation as a licensed engineer for his mounting brackets.  Without an engineering certificate they are uninsurable, which brings up the matter of licensing, bonding and insurance for your business/work.  Liability is a b****.

I can already tell that this seems to be a bit of an uptight crowd... I mean, first introduction I get is someone demanding I change the name to my name... Not a welcome in sight... And now you are questioning safety and our work?  Thanks, but I guess I should find somewhere else to share my work with.....

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »

I can already tell that this seems to be a bit of an uptight crowd... I mean, first introduction I get is someone demanding I change the name to my name... Not a welcome in sight... And now you are questioning safety and our work?  Thanks, but I guess I should find somewhere else to share my work with.....

Chris....

Don't paint the "crowd" with the brush meant for me.  My comment on "real name required" is just that.  We all have to play by the same rules, so it's not a criticism, only an FYI so we can engage in a dialogue with all the forum members.  As to the welcome,  you are certainly welcome here.  It IS a bit out of the ordinary for someone to come on with a first post touting their talents and work.  And posting pictures which show safety concerns is bound to bring into question the rest of your work.

And yes, I am questioning the safety of your work.  The pictures clearly show John working without a safety harness ...... which is his choice, I guess.  They also show his mounting brackets which may or may not be safe.  If he can provide the proper engineering certificate for his design and the requisite testing data, then that's good.  If not.....not so good.

This is supposed to be a forum for professionals.  Please excuse me for asking if you have professional and business qualifications.  I hope for your sake that you do.

Edit:

I guess it's moot now that you've deleted all the pics.  If there's nothing wrong with your work, then why take the pictures down?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:43:43 PM by dick rees »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 12:07:57 AM »

Welcome! You'll find a lot of discussion where the posters respectfully disagree (usually) on materials, products, methods, and practices of operation of live sound systems. There are both professionals (such as Dick) and amateurs* (such as me) alike here; I find it refreshing to find a forum that is NOT condescending, and most everyone in this craft is willing to share their knowledge and experience. There are no trade secrets here.

But I promise you this: safety is taken VERY SERIOUSLY in these forums. Expect that if you post something that is unsafe, you will get a lot of very firmly written responses advising you that unsafe behavior and installation is completely unacceptable. (And not just from Dick.) I would take any safety advice seriously; we simply don't want you, your customers, or any audience member to get hurt because of something you have done.

The only way to ensure the safety of an overhead rig is with proper engineering and installation according to the engineer's specifications. Each rig must be engineered as a complete system; you can't assume that just because individual components meet certain criteria that the forces involved in the complete rig will be within the design limits of the components without calculating those forces.

*P.S. -- You won't find many amateurs in the "Pro AV Forum" -- it's intended for pros. You'll find them in some of the other forums on this site.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:11:27 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »

Just read this article the other day, after being pointed to this blog by one of the Pro AV Members (speaking of safety), it was very interesting.

http://www.onstagelighting.co.uk/lighting-equipment/event-safety-temporary-stage-design/

KT

Clark Johnson

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »

Chris, Welcome!  Yes, this forum can be a tough crowd sometimes.  Just hang tough and remember this is the internet, most people would be a lot nicer face to face. 

Brian Tennyson

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »

Chris, welcome to the internet, its a rough place. But I think if you really look at the post in this forum as a whole you will see that almost everything anyone says is meant to help you avoid pitfalls that they have encountered, which is to say, constructive criticism.

I will again reiterate that I would prefer that the members let me moderate the forum by forwarding any issues, such as name format, to me to handle. I want to make sure that we put forward a warm welcome mat to new members. Jumping them for not reading an obscure corner of our forum rules before they even register is not the best way to warm that mat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 20 queries.