ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to patch/route a show outputs on a M7?  (Read 2961 times)

Shawn Keck

Best way to patch/route a show outputs on a M7?
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »

Looking for some input on the best way to patch some outputs on an M7 for an upcoming outdoor Holiday show. Here are the basic parameters:

Small stage, system will be two Super Towers left and right with 4 JBL VRX each and two VRX as front fills on the stage. Got some subs and monitors, but not relevant to my problem…
The challenge comes in that I have 2 different choirs that I have to mic up…choir A will be directly on the floor in front of the stage(and in front of the front fills) and choir B will be directly under and in front of the Stage Left Supertower.
My question is how to best patch the outputs so I can kill choir A mics in JUST the front fills and choir B mics in JUST the bottom two boxes of the Stage Left stack? (The acoustics of this work, did the same set up a few years ago with great results…that part is not up for debate)

Ideally I would run the front fills and bottom two right cabinets as separate Matrix, but don’t know of any way to kill individual mics in a specific matrix. Option two would be run those outputs as post fader mixes, but then I would loose master level control and it is a pretty dynamic show…option three could be since I don’t need stereo, set the bottom two right cabinets as STEREO RIGHT and the top two and the whole left stack as STEREO LEFT and pan the mics out, but that doesn’t solve my front fill choir problem.

Any ideas on what I am missing or am I stuck with Mixes?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Best way to patch/route a show outputs on a M7?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:00:05 pm »

Looking for some input on the best way to patch some outputs on an M7 for an upcoming outdoor Holiday show. Here are the basic parameters:

Small stage, system will be two Super Towers left and right with 4 JBL VRX each and two VRX as front fills on the stage. Got some subs and monitors, but not relevant to my problem…
The challenge comes in that I have 2 different choirs that I have to mic up…choir A will be directly on the floor in front of the stage(and in front of the front fills) and choir B will be directly under and in front of the Stage Left Supertower.
My question is how to best patch the outputs so I can kill choir A mics in JUST the front fills and choir B mics in JUST the bottom two boxes of the Stage Left stack? (The acoustics of this work, did the same set up a few years ago with great results…that part is not up for debate)

Ideally I would run the front fills and bottom two right cabinets as separate Matrix, but don’t know of any way to kill individual mics in a specific matrix. Option two would be run those outputs as post fader mixes, but then I would loose master level control and it is a pretty dynamic show…option three could be since I don’t need stereo, set the bottom two right cabinets as STEREO RIGHT and the top two and the whole left stack as STEREO LEFT and pan the mics out, but that doesn’t solve my front fill choir problem.

Any ideas on what I am missing or am I stuck with Mixes?

I'd divide the outputs something like L/R top, L/R bottom, FF, subs, whatever remains....  make them matrices, then feed them from the Left & Right.  You can make the subs a matrix output and send the sub AUX mix to that matrix....

At any rate, use the Scene Memory to program the output muting or level changes.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 05:01:53 pm »

Hey Shawn,

This is pretty simple really, especially if you are happy to sacrifice 4 mixes to do it.

The normal way to do this would be to setup three groups on the board (stereo or mono, your choice):
- Choir A
- Choir B
- Rest of Mix

Then have matrixes as follows:
- Main L (all but bottom 2 boxes)
- Main L Bottom 2 (only bottom 2 boxes)
- Main R
- Front Fill

Simple group routing into the matrixes then isolates the components you want.
Its also worth noting that you can use the Stereo Bus as one of your groups on the M7.
The best way to do the groups is to change 4 aux buses to be 2 stereo fixed auxs, which is the same as a pair of stereo groups.

If you cant afford mixes, you can route the choir mics direct to the mains and bypass the stereo buss by routing them straight to the matrixes.
Riedel Communications

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:36 pm »

Depending on which version you're running, the M7 actually lends itself well to what you're trying to do with Matrices, since you can do per channel send on faders to Matrices.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:44:28 am »

Depending on which version you're running, the M7 actually lends itself well to what you're trying to do with Matrices, since you can do per channel send on faders to Matrices.

All versions of the M7CL firmware have inputs able to feed matrices... recent versions just made it more convenient by allowing sends-on-fader.

Shawn Keck

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:03:22 pm »

Then a firmware update it is today!

Thanks for the input. I will play around with all the options.

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 02:02:36 pm »

All versions of the M7CL firmware have inputs able to feed matrices... recent versions just made it more convenient by allowing sends-on-fader.

Yes, they all could, but since it sounds like he's going to be doing this on the fly, the sends on faders lends itself to that. 

On the other hand, you could render that moot if  you know the "script" well enough to make scenes and simply go through them.

Shawn Keck

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:27:11 pm »

Yeah, definitely an on the fly gig...no rehearsals, will be lucky of I get a sound check!...otherwise muting outputs in scenes would have been the easiest solution.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:31:17 pm by Shawn Keck »

info@travelingmonkeysound.com

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:20:53 am »

Yeah, definitely an on the fly gig...no rehearsals, will be lucky of I get a sound check!...otherwise muting outputs in scenes would have been the easiest solution.
FWIW  - The sends to the desired speaker groups can be directly off an aux, post or pre fader which have per channel on off buttons at the aux level....  set your scenes without the groups next to the specific speakers and you're half way there.
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:20:53 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 22 queries.