ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: powered install  (Read 1316 times)

Zach Brady

powered install
« on: July 12, 2005, 02:08:25 PM »

hello all

I am helping out a friend of mine by "designing" and installing
a audio system at his church. They run 3-400 ppl max more like 250 on average. Very tradititonal church , piano, organ, choir
anyways. I want to give them the most bang for their buck
Their goal is to have high intelligibility throughout the house
and a moderate sounding musical system, but the key is vocals especially the pastor. so im considering going with  a powered rig possibly the mackie srm350's maybe a cluster in the center overhead and possibly some for delay, all going through a dbx driverack pa with a small 16 channel mackie. So my question is will these cabinets give them what they want  and sound pretty full, considering i don't want to have to dealth into subs , its just not needed, but i do want the system to sound full.
Any suggestions
thanks,
Zach Brady

Tom Young

Re: powered install
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 03:49:35 PM »

Saying it is "traditional" and knowing the number of people attending don't really tell all that is needed to design an adequate loudspeaker system or critique your plan.

Is this a highly reverberant space ?

How is the platform set up and specifically where is the podium mic and where are the musicians set up ?

is the choir acoustically well reinforced or will they need to be mic'd ?

Why selfpowered ldspkrs ?

How do you intend to optimize (measure, align and equalize) this loudspeaker system ?
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

George Linkenhoker

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:00:19 PM »

Just a fair warning:  Installing a loudspeaker system, especially when having to hang it in a venue is a major undertaking.  You will be the one responsible for anything that happens, like if a speaker falls and hits someone its your fault. There are also a great deal of issues, as mentioned, that go into designing a system for installation.  

With that said, powered speakers may be more of a hassel hung from a ceiling.  You loose the ability to get to the controls on the amplifier section when they are in the air.  You will also have to run dedicated power run(s) along with the XLR runs to these units (make sure to check out the electrical code for your area).  Personally I would go with passive speakers and an equivalent amplifier that stays on the ground where I can reach it and switch it out in the rare case of failure.  Cost wise, that should save you money as one amplifier could power all three speakers (if you go with 3 speaker cluster) and you only have to do the speaker cable runs.

Thats just my .02

--George

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:00:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.