ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Load Out advice - Mic cable winding  (Read 33977 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Load Out advice - Mic cable winding
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »

I used to just roll them up on my arm and then wrap a little around itself and plug it into itself  like an extension cord until I found out that is not good for the cables. The guy showed me how to wrap them and coil them so they are in a perfect circle and plugged back into themselves but I was never able to do it again. I just use the velcro thingys now.

well, the good news is that you really shouldn't plug the ends together because you're creating a situation where you're inevitably going to pull the wrong end through the middle.  and then it's all about knots.

learn over under wrapping.  and use tie line or something to tie them.  and all will be well...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Re: Load Out advice - Mic cable winding
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:39 AM »

It is stamped on my brain from College and somehow I think I will never forget

Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well

Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Green, White

Lots of videos on wrapping mic cables online
However, I LOVE this little bungy Idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSyeRajAFXU

I believe the second g should be grey.
Jay Barracato

Matt Tudor

• NW Iowa.
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »

I know "the code" from back in my electronics class, but don't use it on stage because I color code everything, not just numerical values like cable lengths. I had the code I learned from the first shop I worked in ingrained into my head so that's kind of what I fall back on now. Blue, yellow, red, green. Patching amps to speakers? highs, mids, lows, subs. Patching FOH? left, right, mon 1, mon 2. Patching monitor world? Each rack was 4 mixes..... Mic, monitor, and AC cables, we carried 4 sizes; small (less than 10)', medium,(about 20'), large (bigger than 30'), and long runs for cross stage of FOH.

Hello Jay,

No...the "fascination" with using the resistor color code for marking lengths of cable... got it's start back in the early days of Remote Television and Sound systems for hire.  Unlike today, much of the gear was "custom" gear, made by Radio,and early Television Techs.  The Techs having Electronic backgrounds, used the resistor color code, because it was easily understood by other experienced Technicians.

BTW...the color code was also used by some Capacitor Manufacturers to designate their component's values....easily understood by Techs already knowing the color code.

If a provider is a smaller company with limited gear, then, it may not make any difference whether they color code their lengths of Mic or Edison cables. But, if one were to be a large System Provider and have trunks full of cables...it really can save time when searching for an appropriate length cable, especially under a stage, in dim light....

In my experience, the biggest reason to color code and lable cables is to help keep my cables from walking away...

FWIW...I have found only three lengths appropriate... 15 ft,  35 ft and 100 ft (rarely used) mic cables and all Edison/powercons are 75' except the Foh run.

Cheers,
   Hammer   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.