ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Be the first on your block to drive the new Harman Performance Manager  (Read 6543 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Released as a public beta.

http://hiqnet.harmanpro.com/software/performance_manager/

I'll kick the tires and take it around the block over the Holiday.  Since we don't use Crown V-Racks, I'm interested in seeing how "automated" things can be with custom racks.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Be the first on your block to drive the new Harman Performance Manager
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »

Harmon seems to have kicked the BSS366s  to the curb.

I'll kick the tires and take it around the block over the Holiday.  Since we don't use Crown V-Racks, I'm interested in seeing how "automated" things can be with custom racks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:23:12 PM »

Harmon seems to have kicked the BSS366s  to the curb.

Our newest BSS processor is the 388, so I'm not pointing fingers  ::)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Buehler

• db Production Services LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »

Downloading now...

David Buehler
Owner
db Production Services LLC

Audio - Video - Staging & Roofs - Crewing - Production Management & Design

John Heinz

• Concert Quality Sound
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »

Does anyone know what is the latest firmware version available is for the ITHD amps?

John Heinz
Concert Quality Sound

David Buehler

• db Production Services LLC
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »

Downloading now...

So playing with this and talking to my harman folk, the big migration will be to shift people over to this platform. After a few minutes working with this, i was easily able to caclulate all the arrays angles due to a integrated line array calculator, define the powering scheme, configure all my amp racks for the specific applications, and setup my FOH drive Racks as needed! All in one platform, this is pretty slick!
David Buehler
Owner
db Production Services LLC

Audio - Video - Staging & Roofs - Crewing - Production Management & Design

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »

Just got done playing with it briefly.  Looks very cool, though we also don't have the VRacks.

What's killing me is that V5 for Vertec is not going to be available for the DR4800 OR the original I-Tech.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »

Just got done playing with it briefly.  Looks very cool, though we also don't have the VRacks.

What's killing me is that V5 for Vertec is not going to be available for the DR4800 OR the original I-Tech.

Correct, the original I-Tech and DR4800 have the same processing under the bonnet and it doesn't have FIR filter capability that VerTec V5 requires.

Edward Gonzalez

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

I have been using it for about 6 months it is far superior to System Architech for controling a sound system. You do not have own Vracks use it you can build your own racks.

Adam Robinson

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »

While this will cause growing pains for providers who have to change out they way they deploy their Vertec, I think for the product as a whole this does great things to make sure that Vertec in one place is the same as another.  V4 started this process, but it's still my experience that there are too many variables in that equation for the product to remain consistent. 

John Heinz

• Concert Quality Sound
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »

From what I've heard the point is to eliminate the variables in the chain to attain consistency of the rigs. I think part of what we are seeing is the migration towards the next generation of a Vertec product. I will tell you firsthand that the firmware in the amps is critical for the V5 presets to work properly. So I guess the good news is, without the code, the preset won't work in the Behringer HDIT 10000. Ha Ha.

John Heinz
Concert Quality Sound

Christian Tepfer

• Klanggestaltung Blog (German)
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 08:12:18 AM »

While this will cause growing pains for providers who have to change out they way they deploy their Vertec, I think for the product as a whole this does great things to make sure that Vertec in one place is the same as another.  V4 started this process, but it's still my experience that there are too many variables in that equation for the product to remain consistent.
Vertec was (is) not very consistent overall, different amps and settings all over.

The V5 limitation does not help, either.

I expect JBL to come out with a Vertec successor to solve this dilemma. The sooner, the better...

Regarding the software, I saw this briefly at musikmesse, looked like a very well thought-trough solution.
Christian Tepfer
christian at amanya dot de

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:36:42 AM »

Vertec was (is) not very consistent overall, different amps and settings all over.

The V5 limitation does not help, either.

I expect JBL to come out with a Vertec successor to solve this dilemma. The sooner, the better...

Regarding the software, I saw this briefly at musikmesse, looked like a very well thought-trough solution.

I have some anecdotal comments from a highly placed JBL person who did not want to sound disparaging of previous work or those who did it, but pushed very hard for the "black box" approach that began with V4 as he saw both the weaknesses of previous versions and owner/user propensity to make changes that were detrimental to system performance.  My personal observation is that V4 represented a significant sonic improvement and that owners who adopted V4 had better sounding rigs.  Woe be unto any owner still using V3.x or earlier.

I'm not sure I understand why you say "V5 limitation does not help...."  Perhaps something is lost in the German/English translation.

The biggest detriment to any vertical array is mis-deployment and I see lots of that... from smalls shops that just got a line array, to the biggest names in the biz... I've heard bad deployments at all levels of the industry. I'm aware of more than one regional provider who uses the same inter-box angles regardless of venue coverage geometry and irrespective of trim height.  Until that battle is won, the visiting BEs are facing an uphill day and it has nothing to do with the brand of speaker or the relative merits of its processing.

IOW, the primary cause of poor performance is most often from shortcuts and inattention of the humans that put the rig together every day.  Because of the way Performance Manager integrates with LAC II, it is my hope that the humans involved at least take a look at the vertical coverage predictions before sending the preset and modifications down the network.  Will that help correct mis-deployment?  Only time will tell.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:36:42 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.