ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Best bang for the buck" line-array system for 12-15k  (Read 46002 times)

Jonathan Collins

"Best bang for the buck" line-array system for 12-15k
« on: November 21, 2011, 09:02:49 PM »

Best bang for the buck line-array system for a maximum of 800-1000 people which incorporate the following characteristics.
Powered Cabs
Budget 12-15k
Portability is high Priority
Clean Crisp mids & highs
Must have more of a "power punch" for bass rather than a vibratory shake.
Would prefer used for the purpose of depreciation savings but New is fine also.
Thanks for your help.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:14:28 AM by Jonathan Collins »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Help & Advice Needed - Thanks in Advance
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:06:18 PM »

Is there a question in there somewhere?

If so, please skip the life story and ask it simply.

Then you'll get some answers.

Paragraphs are good things when the text is long.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Help & Advice Needed - Thanks in Advance
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:20:05 AM »

Jonathan, it probably would help if you broke out the specific questions you have so they were easier to identify.

Overall, I'd say that one challenge you face may be that you've apparently used the good stuff so now you have that as a reference.  Another is that 'bang for the buck' is about value and value is in the eye of the beholder.  In other words, people may need to know a lot more about your gigs, the audiences, your budget, etc. to know what might represent the best value for you, which may differ significantly from what is the best value for someone else.

Perhaps you could start by addressing the purpose of the system and who is running it.  Is this going to be used exclusively for your gigs or may it be rented out?  Are there any goals relating to size, weight, transportability, ease of setup, etc.?  Who is going to be mixing, they may have some strong opinions on some of the gear?  How many inputs, aux sends, etc. do you need?  When considering budget have you thought about power distribution, cases, DIs, stands and all the little things needed to make the system work?  You note "...I do not expect to throw 10k down for turn-key" but do you have an idea of how much you do want to spend?

What I have learned is just how much I like the line array choice but thats it.
I'm curious as to why you say this since there is nothing presented that necessarily suggests a line array being a good option, but this is also a good example of the envisioned venues, typical audience size (you say "crowds up to 1000", but what is the typical gig setting and size?), people involved in setting up and running the system and so on having a great impact on the potential value of any options.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: "Best bang for the buck" line-array system for 12-15k
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »

Best bang for the buck line-array system for a maximum of 800-1000 people which incorporate the following characteristics.
Powered Cabs
Budget 12-15k
Clean Crisp mids & highs
Thanks for your help.

Good to see you took the advice on being more concise. We stall are going to ask the question why line array? Describe your exact use of this system and why line array would be better than point source for this use. I'm unsure about that being 12-15k USD?

You will probably want to look at the JBL VRX stuff since this is "line array" and 4 a side should be pushing coverage for 1000 people but unsure about the price range. I've heard the new eaw boxes and they sound great(better than the VRX imo) but again unsure about the price.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 08:20:02 AM »

Powered Cabs
Budget 12-15k
Clean Crisp mids & highs
Thanks for your help.

As only 4 boxes per side, spending 15K is $1875 per box, I am not sure what you are looking for exists, even used for any name brand. If you do, it is going to be a bargain.

You might, without any type of accessories, get 6 constant curvature vertical array boxes such as JBL VRX with that budget. At that point it becomes important how your 1000 people are spaced, but I think the coverage is light.
Jay Barracato

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:07:12 AM »

Powered Cabs
Budget 12-15k
Clean Crisp mids & highs
Thanks for your help.
You're going to need to multiply your budget by about 4X.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:11 AM »

Good to see you took the advice on being more concise. We stall are going to ask the question why line array? Describe your exact use of this system and why line array would be better than point source for this use. I'm unsure about that being 12-15k USD?

You will probably want to look at the JBL VRX stuff since this is "line array" and 4 a side should be pushing coverage for 1000 people but unsure about the price range. I've heard the new eaw boxes and they sound great(better than the VRX imo) but again unsure about the price.

An SRX rig could do gigs like that, but is still not going to fall in the 12-15k budget.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

john sanders

• Eastern Long Island, N.Y.
    • Sonimax Light & Sound
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

For just under $15k including shipping you could purchase 4 jbl srx728 subs and 4 jbl srx722's. A respectable system.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »

For just under $15k including shipping you could purchase 4 jbl srx728 subs and 4 jbl srx722's. A respectable system.
You would still need amplification and processing to have a complete system and what you have would not be a line array or powered, but a good example of what that budget can possibly get you.

Justin Bartlett

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

Powered Cabs
Budget 12-15k
Clean Crisp mids & highs
Thanks for your help.

I just finished a tour with venues/crowds primarily in the 800-1000 range.  Our PA was two Mackie HD1231 tops per side with a total of four Mackie HD1801 subs (sometimes 2 per side, sometimes centered).  Not a line array, but it's self-powered and meets your budget requirements, even including cases.

That said, we were *right* on the edge of the system's capabilities and frankly a bit beyond them on some nights; for some of the larger venues we tied into the house PA instead.

I agree with the other posters that you should examine whether a line array really makes the most sense for your needs; if so I also agree that your budget probably won't do the trick unless you find a pretty extraordinary deal on something used.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:17:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.