ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery Possible for mp3 file on USB stick - LS9  (Read 26697 times)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Recovery Possible for mp3 file on USB stick - LS9
« on: November 20, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »

The LS9 was powered off by the road crew at the end of the night before the recording was stopped. A direct-to-disk editor shows that there is still a large amount of data there. Of course, the Windows OS doesn't see the file as it was not correctly written.

Is anyone aware of either a Windows-based direct editor or file recovery software that could recover the file? Or a service out there that you've used to recover a file like this? I haven't done anything to the USB stick at all since this occurred to try to preserve the data.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Charest

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Recovery Possible for mp3 file on USB stick - LS9
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »

The LS9 was powered off by the road crew at the end of the night before the recording was stopped. A direct-to-disk editor shows that there is still a large amount of data there. Of course, the Windows OS doesn't see the file as it was not correctly written.

Is anyone aware of either a Windows-based direct editor or file recovery software that could recover the file? Or a service out there that you've used to recover a file like this? I haven't done anything to the USB stick at all since this occurred to try to preserve the data.

Thanks in advance,
Bob Charest

My sympathies and good luck.  I haven't gone without a UPS since a similar incident a few years ago.  Of course, that doesn't stop them if they actually get their hands on my stuff, but at least it solved the problem of someone pulling the plug out of the wall and asking, "What's this for?".
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:33:44 PM »

Is anyone aware of either a Windows-based direct editor or file recovery software that could recover the file?

Good luck.  Had the same thing happen with a Zoom H4 and an LS9.  Tried three Windows based file recovery apps.  Two of the three could see the files but none could recover anything useful.  Let us know if you have better results.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »

You might get lucky with this application:

http://ntfsundelete.com/

It is intended to recover deleted files, not ones that were never properly created in the first place, but it may be worth a try.  It's free, so you might as well try it.  I've used it before for its intended purpose, and it does work for that.

GTD

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »

Unless you want to pay for file recovery, and there are many companies you can use for that, then the program linked below may be about as good as it get's. Not 100% but I've used it in the past with some pretty good success.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/reviews
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Thanks in advance,
Bob Charest
Put the stick in a Windows machine. Hit Start button open my computer.  If the USB stick shows up as a drive
letter then right click it and a menu will pop down.  Select properties.  Select Tools tab. You will see Check/repair data
defragement and backup.  Select repair drive.    This is ONLY if the files are not MAC or LINUX files.   Good luck

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

My sympathies and good luck.  I haven't gone without a UPS since a similar incident a few years ago.  Of course, that doesn't stop them if they actually get their hands on my stuff, but at least it solved the problem of someone pulling the plug out of the wall and asking, "What's this for?".
Hi Dick - Funny! We do have a UPS both to protect the board and to avoid this situation...  but if someone knows where the off switch is and really wants to push it...

We've covered stopping the recording at the end of every gig (before powering down) since this happened - A little late!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »

Hi Dick - Funny! We do have a UPS both to protect the board and to avoid this situation...  but if someone knows where the off switch is and really wants to push it...

We've covered stopping the recording at the end of every gig (before powering down) since this happened - A little late!

Yup.  That horse has left the barn, training-wise.  Please let us know when and if and how the situation resolves.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »

Good luck.  Had the same thing happen with a Zoom H4 and an LS9.  Tried three Windows based file recovery apps.  Two of the three could see the files but none could recover anything useful.  Let us know if you have better results.
Thanks Kirby - I've taken a quick look at the data structure of mp3 files, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to be a lot more conversant with the way the parts of the file are linked before I try anything.

One of the hangups with this is that I can't transfer the data anywhere as it's not valid data to any OS. As a result, this will be the only copy, and any mistakes result in game over.

I'll let you know what happens.

Bob

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

You might get lucky with this application:

http://ntfsundelete.com/

It is intended to recover deleted files, not ones that were never properly created in the first place, but it may be worth a try.  It's free, so you might as well try it.  I've used it before for its intended purpose, and it does work for that.

GTD
Hi Geoff - As the file was never correctly written, I don't think an undelete utility is going to get the data in the shape I need. The app you linked looks like a good thing to have though - Thanks!

Bob

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.