ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft si compact . Hmmm  (Read 19964 times)

Gianfranco Favero

Re: Soundcraft si compact . Hmmm
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »

Have you ever thought of using channels on main layer and linking them to make stereo channels? 

I wouldn't even consider the ls9 or preson in the same league as the si.  The sound quality alone makes toys out of the Yam and Preson.

As I said before you can only link channels from odd to even, so it's a limitation. That doesn't make the desk useless, but is worth noting.
Yam Custom fader is much better.

We'll do the blind test after christmas and get back about it. At the moment i wouldn't call the yam a toy, as long as you keep it under the yellow leds.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 09:05:53 AM »

Have you ever thought of using channels on main layer and linking them to make stereo channels? 

I wouldn't even consider the ls9 or preson in the same league as the si.  The sound quality alone makes toys out of the Yam and Preson.
I'd really like to see the systems and rooms you guys play that the sound quality of a Yamaha mixer is a significant detriment to your gig.  There must be an awful lot of stars aligned perfectly - band playing in time/tune/suck knob turned down, good acoustic treatment, enough power, amazing PA, etc.

Ronnie.Reels

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »

As I said before you can only link channels from odd to even, so it's a limitation. That doesn't make the desk useless, but is worth noting.
Yam Custom fader is much better.

We'll do the blind test after christmas and get back about it. At the moment i wouldn't call the yam a toy, as long as you keep it under the yellow leds.

For instance I use channels 29-30 as a stereo pair for my tracks keeping them on mian layer.  Soundcraft is supposed to release a Ver2 software Dec. 1 that I would guess will address such issues as you mentioned. 

Ronnie.Reels

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »

I'd really like to see the systems and rooms you guys play that the sound quality of a Yamaha mixer is a significant detriment to your gig.  There must be an awful lot of stars aligned perfectly - band playing in time/tune/suck knob turned down, good acoustic treatment, enough power, amazing PA, etc.

I wouldn't say they are a detriment but just average.  The Si Compact is a very noticeable step up in sound quality when compared to the Preson or ls9. 

Kevin Messerschmidt

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »

I just got a chance to demo a si compact.  I was pretty disappointed.  It could be a great mixer but when you consider the price, I believe it missed the mark.  I felt like it was only slighty better than a studiolive. If it is it is only due to recallable preamps, moving faders and glowing fader colors.  Other than that it feels cheap, lacks a ton of features found on other mixers in it's price range and just left me wanting more.   Too bad, I was excited about it going in.

I should check back to things that I post more often.  I personally have used and owned a o1v, o1v96, studiolive 16.4.2 2 ls9's a 32 and a 16 and most recently an ilive idr32 with r72 control surface.  After owning the ls9 I simply got board and wanted to try something else.  I was excited to try out the si compact but was disappointed by the lack of flexibility. I like my digital boards to have the ability to split the input to multiple layers, set up custom layers and have the returns on the main layer.  For me the lack of these features on a mixer in this price range was very disappointing.  In addition the lack of a full parametric eq on all bands seems odd.  The build quality on the new mixer that I demo'd was poor.  8 of the faders were bent!  On a new mixer!  I was the first to one the box.  I also thought it felt more like a $500 control surface that a $5000+ mixer.  I will say that it sounded good.  Not light years better than anything else I've tried but it sounded good.  It is also very simple to walk up to and mix on.  I like the led lighting on the faders etc.  I think if the 16 channel was priced at $3k I'd own one but fr the price vs features I'll take an ls9 any day.  The great thing is that we have options.  Keep them coming.    Just my 2 cents. 

Ronnie.Reels

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 04:54:20 PM »

New V2 software due anyday
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:59:25 PM by Ronnie.Reels »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »

New V2 software due anyday

Where are you hearing the news about the V2 software? I feel like I never heard soundcraft news....

Ronnie.Reels

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »

Where are you hearing the news about the V2 software? I feel like I never heard soundcraft news....

Hahah  Their Facebook page  Here is what else they say:

Features currently enabled in beta release:
• DOGS Gain tracking
• Selective Copy & Paste
• Security lockout
• Assignable fader layers
• Snapshot control via MIDI in and MIDI out
• Ability to send Left, Right and Mono separately to each matrix bus
• Console can be word clock slave or master
• Global Isolate of individual buses
• Patching of stereo inputs to any channel

The production release of V2 has been slated to provide the following:

• Showing HPF setting on EQ screen
• Delay displayed in meters feet and ms and filter width in Q and octaves
• Support for forthcoming ViSi iPad on-line control
• Support for CobraNet® and Aviom®
• Minimum 25% speed improvement on all processes

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 12:24:01 AM »

Haha... well played sir

Gianfranco Favero

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »

Hahah  Their Facebook page  Here is what else they say:

Features currently enabled in beta release:
• DOGS Gain tracking
• Selective Copy & Paste
• Security lockout
• Assignable fader layers
• Snapshot control via MIDI in and MIDI out
• Ability to send Left, Right and Mono separately to each matrix bus
• Console can be word clock slave or master
• Global Isolate of individual buses
• Patching of stereo inputs to any channel

The production release of V2 has been slated to provide the following:

• Showing HPF setting on EQ screen
• Delay displayed in meters feet and ms and filter width in Q and octaves
• Support for forthcoming ViSi iPad on-line control
• Support for CobraNet® and Aviom®
• Minimum 25% speed improvement on all processes

seen the improvements they are trying to make (the beta looks good, the official release not enough), seems like my critics were not wrong in the end...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 04:36:26 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.