ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundcraft si compact . Hmmm  (Read 19965 times)

Gianfranco Favero

Re: Soundcraft si compact . Hmmm
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »

No, please don't. You're obviously a Yamaha/LS-9 fanboy but there's nothing wrong with that.

If you're so disappointed with the console, why not just return it and get your beloved LS-9??

Completely bashing a product that a lot of people have had really good luck with is getting us nowhere.

Pat

anybody can try and see if what I say is bashing or not.
The desk is not mine, but it belongs to the company I work for, so I use whatever they give me. We also have an ls9, that has got her limitations. But this is a thread on the compact so I didn't write anything about the ls9's limitations.

Gian

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:05 PM »

some more?
the PEQ doesn't have 400hz freq. only 315 or 500. I find that awful. 400hz is always a pain.

And it's SLOWWWWWWWWWWW. selecting different channels to see the different settings, you have to stop for one or 2 second s to wait for all the lights to light up to see what's happening, the routing, etc. D'You know how many things happen in 2 seconds?

And the buttons are spongy, they don't click so yo never know if you pushed it right or not.

Do you want me to go on?

Probably tomorrow night I will, after smashing my head over it all day long.

Mine has 400hz. Are you looking at the display on the screen or just the knobs?

Spongy buttons? A display comes up every time you push a button or turn a knob.

You need to turn the encoder knobs a little slower. The faster you turn it the more frequencies you pass up.

2 seconds? Come on, I don't think so. Maybe a couple of ms.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:26:25 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Tomas Palaj

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »

Hi,

I am new to this forum (although I have been reading it for some time).

I am thinking of buying a new digital desk and Si Compact is one of the candidates. Can anyone answer a few questions about this console?

1. What is the minimal frequency step (in Hertz or octave-related) of the parametric eq? I hope it is softer than LED indication.

2. Does anyone know, if (and when) the online editor will be implemented? This is real must for me, I need to be able to control the surface remotely with tablet or iPad or something simillar.

3. Many of the cons mentioned above would be propably software-related (stereo channels on layer B, impossibility to use stereo channels and effect returns at same time, maximum of 32 channels even external stagebox etc). Does anyone know about some software update, that would fix some of these issues?

I like Soundcraft mixers and really want to get one, but it seems I get more from the iLive system at the same price point, if there won't be some improvement of these things.

Thanks for your answers.

Tomas

Gianfranco Favero

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 05:31:34 PM »

Mine has 400hz. Are you looking at the display on the screen or just the knobs?

Spongy buttons? A display comes up every time you push a button or turn a knob.

You need to turn the encoder knobs a little slower. The faster you turn it the more frequencies you pass up.

2 seconds? Come on, I don't think so. Maybe a couple of ms.

You're probably right about the 400hz, I don't check the eq graph usually. I just look at the knobs and listen. In the knobs 400 is not there, though.

I had to send some channels quickly to mono out. It took me a very long time. Every time you select a channel you have to wait for all the buttons to lit up and then you can press what you need. In some occasions few ms feel like hours! It's probably around 6-700ms, that is a LOT.

Do you want to know a good thing? You can patch the same input to different channels. So for the same mike you can have different eqs or effects ready in the next channel. That's good.

Pat Latimer

• Charleston, S.C.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »

I disagree.  I have not heard any criticism that sounds unreasonable or insults directed at anyone(like the term "fanboy" for example).  As one considering the purchase of a digital board, I want to hear as many opinions as possible - good or bad!

Throwing out the "fanboy" term was a bit misguided. Sorry about that, Gianfranco.

All jabs aside, I feel the console has it's place and really enjoy working with it. I've mixed many shows on LS-9's and enjoy working with those also. I've only mixed a couple of shows so far on the Compact but really like it's features.

Pat

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 04:56:03 PM »

Gianfraco!! Welcome to the party! :-P Must be a bit slow in the conference today yeah?

I've used the compact pretty extensively, after doing a two week stint about a month back, and while it did the job, I had a few issues which bugged me!

In general, the speed of the console as far as getting round it was a bit frustrating. Not being able to have fx sends on the rotary encoders made this issue worse. I tended to jump around alot through the different layers to get from the inputs to the fx returns to the fx sends and so forth and I found that it couldn't keep up with me most of the time.

On the plus side, it does sound nice! As far as similar consoles, it's the nicest sounding in this range that I've come across!

Gian, some work arounds...

Matrix Outs, you can patch the main L&R to two outputs in the patch menu. This gives you two discrete left and right outputs, but no level or mix control for them.

You know if you hold the Mono assign button you can press the channel select button to quickly assign all the channels to the mono bus? Likewise with turning on all channel functions, HPF, EQ, +48V etc...

The LED display can be a little misleading at times with regard to what it shows and what the console is actually doing!

The soft patching is quite cool, but it can be done on the LS9 too! :-P

All up, I wasn't diss appointed with the console through my extended stint with it! It did what I asked of it day in and day out, it didn't crash, it sounded good!
It did have its limitations, as do all consoles, and alot of them are potentially a firmware update or two away from being fixed! In the end, it is what it is, and while it's not at all my preferred console of choice, (I'm very much Yamaha too!) it did the job, and so long as you don't go in expecting a Vi6 or an Si3, you'll be happy!

Gianfranco Favero

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »

Gianfraco!! Welcome to the party! :-P Must be a bit slow in the conference today yeah?

Gian, some work arounds...

Matrix Outs, you can patch the main L&R to two outputs in the patch menu. This gives you two discrete left and right outputs, but no level or mix control for them.

You know if you hold the Mono assign button you can press the channel select button to quickly assign all the channels to the mono bus? Likewise with turning on all channel functions, HPF, EQ, +48V etc...

I would't mind a coffee, bro!

I was just making an example about the mono, if you want to see what settings you have in every channel you have to push the Sel button and then wait for all the lights to turn on before pressing anything.

The workaround for the matrix would be quite a stretch, having no control at all.

Good to know about the soft patching in the Ls9. I can do it in the gb4 as well, you just have to move the xlr to the next channel 8)...

We should do a blind test one day between the Compact and Ls9, a couple of 112s with subs and same input. Who guess wrong pays the round.

Rory Maguire

• London, UK
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »

We should do a blind test one day between the Compact and Ls9, a couple of 112s with subs and same input. Who guess wrong pays the round.

Wouldn't say no to one either! :-P

That sounds cool though, I think I've got a day or two off over when you guys quiet down for Christmas, so we should totally do something of those sorts!

LS9, Compact, Si3, GB, and a Behringer, just for kicks!

Could even do a speaker shoot out at the same time!

Passive XT vs LA4 Biamp-d XT, vs 112p vs JBL

See what we can arrange!

As far as soft patching the GB4, do what we did in the good old days, XLR Wye splits! Or direct out into a line input of another channel!

Rock n Roll! Almost lunch time! :-D

Gianfranco Favero

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »

and the Verona, too... curious to know how she stands up to the Si3

Ronnie.Reels

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »

-Stereo channels only on second layer. Really? enough to piss you off every time there's a backing track or something.

Have you ever thought of using channels on main layer and linking them to make stereo channels? 

I wouldn't even consider the ls9 or preson in the same league as the si.  The sound quality alone makes toys out of the Yam and Preson. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.