ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External Processing On Powered/Active Speakers.  (Read 2250 times)

Canute J. Chiverton

External Processing On Powered/Active Speakers.
« on: November 19, 2011, 07:34:50 PM »

I am having a debate with some other folks about this issue and would like to get some feedback from you guys.  I hope this is the correct Lab for the question.  Given that with each different Venue there may be some acoustical challenges.....if one is using Powered/Active Speakers, is External Processing, especially EQ, still necessary?  How about Reverb, Compression, Limiting etc.
In other words, simply put, if you were using Powered Speakers of your choosing, would you dare to go out and do a Gig without extra Processing?
Sure the speakers would play when you send a signal thru them but will it give the best reproduction possible without processing?

My answer is "Yes, it is still necessary!"  I would not depend solely on the onboard processing from an active/powered speaker.

What say you?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: External Processing On Powered/Active Speakers.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »

I am having a debate with some other folks about this issue and would like to get some feedback from you guys.  I hope this is the correct Lab for the question.  Given that with each different Venue there may be some acoustical challenges.....if one is using Powered/Active Speakers, is External Processing, especially EQ, still necessary?  How about Reverb, Compression, Limiting etc.
In other words, simply put, if you were using Powered Speakers of your choosing, would you dare to go out and do a Gig without extra Processing?
Sure the speakers would play when you send a signal thru them but will it give the best reproduction possible without processing?

My answer is "Yes, it is still necessary!"  I would not depend solely on the onboard processing from an active/powered speaker.

What say you?
I am not aware of any loudspeaker that has built in reverb.   So you will need that.

If you have any freq that 'stand out" in a room-you will not be able to do anything about it without an external processor.

Depending on the particular active loudspeaker, you may or may not be able to deal with the bass build up when you use multiples.

You may or may not be able to engage a crossover-to use the loudspeaker with a sub.

Unless the particular loudspeaker and the matching sub are well designed to be used together, getting a good alignment between the two is going to be hard without a processor.

In most cases the processing inside the active loudspeaker is to correct itself-not a system.  In most cases there should be a overall system alignment tool.

I would agree that an external processor is required.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »

I'll take it further and say that since in most cases the processing in a powered speaker addresses only the speaker and typically in an anechoic or half space environment, you may want two different aspects of external processing.  You'd probably want reverb, compression, etc. for the mixing aspect and may want equalization, crossovers, limiting, delay and so on to address the overall system and the environment.  That's not saying you wouldn't dare do a gig without any external processing but that's true for non-powered speakers as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.