ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator and Amp protection?  (Read 18492 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Generator and Amp protection?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:49 PM »

I mentioned the power conditioner simply for the voltimeter.  And on the site that gen claims to have automatic voltage regulation.  Could you recomend a specific gen that would safely handle the equipment I have listed?  I know that it is not a huge system so Im looking for a solution within my budget.   Also could you explain to me about regulating freq too?
thanks for your help

Frequency:  60 cycles/second

What Honda model do you have now?  The most economical and practical thing to do is what I said before.  Get another matching Honda and the yoke kit to join them......if you have the inverter model.

Otherwise, forget trying to own.  I agree with rental.  With a consumer grade, unregulated generator it will be a dead heat between the number of times you use it to recoup your investment and the day that the crap power takes out your equipment........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dave Mathew

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »

Frequency:  60 cycles/second

What Honda model do you have now?  The most economical and practical thing to do is what I said before.  Get another matching Honda and the yoke kit to join them......if you have the inverter model.

Otherwise, forget trying to own.  I agree with rental.  With a consumer grade, unregulated generator it will be a dead heat between the number of times you use it to recoup your investment and the day that the crap power takes out your equipment........

I have the Honda eb3000c it is not the inverter model. 
How about these:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EB5000&modelid=EB5000XK3

Could this provide steady enough voltage for the equipment that I listed?
I may be able to rent these locally

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

I have the Honda eb3000c it is not the inverter model. 
How about these:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2GG&modelname=EB5000&modelid=EB5000XK3

Could this provide steady enough voltage for the equipment that I listed?
I may be able to rent these locally

The EB series is rated "industrial"......which means power tools, not sound gear.  Stop trying the "will this work" method.  Go with what you've been told WILL work.  That would be the Honda inverter models or renting a proper, regulated gen set.

Dave Mathew

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 10:32:30 PM »

The EB series is rated "industrial"......which means power tools, not sound gear.  Stop trying the "will this work" method.  Go with what you've been told WILL work.  That would be the Honda inverter models or renting a proper, regulated gen set.

The reason I suggested it was because of this:
iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator)

This generator offers an exclusive new Honda technology, iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator). This consists of a digital capacitive discharge ignition, a self tuning regulator governor, a current transformer applied to the auto throttle and the new DAVR control unit.
iAVR lets the generator operate well above its maximum rating for up to 10 seconds to start high initial amp draw situations. This ensures a consistent flow of power regardless of the load, which translates into protection for sensitive equipment and reliable power for you.

Forgive me for not being knowledgeable however I am attempting to learn.

Maybe you could explain to me why the inverter is more apropriate and why?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 10:50:10 PM »

The reason I suggested it was because of this:
iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator)

This generator offers an exclusive new Honda technology, iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator). This consists of a digital capacitive discharge ignition, a self tuning regulator governor, a current transformer applied to the auto throttle and the new DAVR control unit.
iAVR lets the generator operate well above its maximum rating for up to 10 seconds to start high initial amp draw situations. This ensures a consistent flow of power regardless of the load, which translates into protection for sensitive equipment and reliable power for you.

Forgive me for not being knowledgeable however I am attempting to learn.

Maybe you could explain to me why the inverter is more apropriate and why?

Read all the product literature on the Honda website for each model you're considering.  Any model with an "i" in the designation has an inverter.......and is "computer safe" stable, clean power.  It's not just the regulated voltage, it's the wave form.  Honda is very clear about rating their units and state in each one what its capabilities are.  You need more than voltage regulation, intelligent or otherwise.

Buy whatever you want.  Your gear will last longer with inverter power.

Dave Mathew

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 02:37:22 AM »

Thanks now I understand a little more about inverter and the waves.  According to this page my gen(with cycloconverter) has a smoother wave than a brushless but not as smooth as one with an inverter.  http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_choose

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/generators/content.aspx?asset=gg_cycloconverter

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 05:46:02 AM »

I doubt that the type of fuel has anything to do with the quality of the electricity produced......
you are right, fuel makes no difference, quality of gen does.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 05:50:48 AM »

after a couple shows the generator will pay for itself, plus I have found that rentals are unreliable.
i worked construction as a commercial electrician. b 4 the service was installed the gc rented a gen. usually a 45kva and day in day out on all the jobs i was on there was never a gen problem. very reliable and way cleaner the any power coming of the power line. a friend runs big jennys for the movie studios and worked as a touring sound engineer for some years. he love the clean power that a gen produces and i'm talking about an MQ or other quailty gen not an el cheepo. i wouldnt hook anything but a light bulb up to an elcheepo. something else , most cheep gens use an inverter like you buy for your car or truck to convert 12vdc to 120vac. this is awful power and not suitable for anything more then a light, microwave, or bullitproof milwaukee power tool.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:58:28 AM by Jeff Harrell »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »

The Honda EU series generators are pretty much the only reasonable choice for a small generator for sound reinforcement, not only for the power quality issues already mentioned, but also because they are 10-20dB quieter in operation than the construction junk.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »

Hi Dave,

Here is an example of the type of product that others in this thread are suggesting, http://www.multiquip.com/multiquip/ultra-silent.htm

The ideal is a super/ultra quiet diesel generator 25KVA or higher in rating.  You can usually rent such a unit for a few hundred dollars/weekend.  Having ample reliable power is the only way to run a successful show.  Also renting the unit rather than buying usually affords you greater protection in the case of an issue (i.e. quick service and/or backup units).

Any generators purchased from Home Depot will be far noisier, less reliable, and not produce as clean power.  The Generators that we're suggesting probably start at around $25k new and go up from there.

Jeff "Use the right tool for the job and sleep better at night"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.