ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator and Amp protection?  (Read 18485 times)

Dave Mathew

Generator and Amp protection?
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:28:44 PM »

Hi, I am looking to do a bunch of outdoor shows next summer mainly electronic music with some live bands and have been researching generator and power needs. I also need to know what kind of protection I will need for these amps and powered speakers:

2 Crown Itech4000's (on Bass duty)
    2 Mackie 1530 or 1521
    2 QSC k12's

bbe crossover
    Mackie 1401
    Alesis compressor/limiter

would a gen like this be enough power:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6155

I would run the amps from the 30amp twistlock with 100 ft cable, and use the 20 amp circuits for everything else that has a smaller draw. I also have a 3000 watt honda gen for backup and or lights etc..

I plan on getting some kind of power conditioner that has a voltimeter so I can keep watch on the voltage and would have a dummy load on too. I know that gfci's can pop easily, is there any other kind of protection that I would need for my gear?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Generator and Amp protection?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »

Hi, I am looking to do a bunch of outdoor shows next summer mainly electronic music with some live bands and have been researching generator and power needs. I also need to know what kind of protection I will need for these amps and powered speakers:

2 Crown Itech4000's (on Bass duty)
    2 Mackie 1530 or 1521
    2 QSC k12's

bbe crossover
    Mackie 1401
    Alesis compressor/limiter

would a gen like this be enough power:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6155

I would run the amps from the 30amp twistlock with 100 ft cable, and use the 20 amp circuits for everything else that has a smaller draw. I also have a 3000 watt honda gen for backup and or lights etc..

I plan on getting some kind of power conditioner that has a voltimeter so I can keep watch on the voltage and would have a dummy load on too. I know that gfci's can pop easily, is there any other kind of protection that I would need for my gear?

I think the link to HDepot is bogus.  I couldn't look at what you're looking at.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »

You should probably be looking at diesel generators.  They are substantially more quiet and (in my opinion) are more robust (stable current) than gas powered generators. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »

You should probably be looking at diesel generators.  They are substantially more quiet and (in my opinion) are more robust (stable current) than gas powered generators.

I doubt that the type of fuel has anything to do with the quality of the electricity produced......

Dave Mathew

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Dave Mathew

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »

Why buy when the production can rent?

Mac

after a couple shows the generator will pay for itself, plus I have found that rentals are unreliable.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:41:56 PM by Dave Mathew »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »

sorry try this link:
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/generators-pressure-washers/portable-generators/detail/?name=6000+Watt&id={1DA487B8-F445-43C3-B392-203A210FB292}

I cannot afford a diesel gen right now

Depending on where you're working, generator size/type may or may not require a permit and inspection.  Where I am I can use up to a 5KW with no permit required.  Above that it costs for the permit and inspection.

It also matters how clean the power is.  The Hondas I have are inverter  AC and very clean and stable.  If you have the inverter series HOnda, just get another 3K and the Honda yoke kit to run them in phase together.  That'll give you the 6K you're looking for......and clean.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »

after a couple shows the generator will pay for itself, plus I have found that rentals are unreliable.
So you want to own a shitty generator that is unregulated?  What makes you think owning an unregulated (freq as well as voltage) generator is better than renting one?  See below... but in a nutshell, you've been renting the wrong generator, too.  And as Mac points out, why own when you can simply tell the promoter "a suitable generator is XYZ model from ABC rental shop."

The so-called "power conditioners" don't condition anything.  Any device that *does* make a material effect on the power at the current demand you will draw, will cost more than the HomeDespot generator.

When the HomeDespot genset pukes up it's windings, rings or carberator, do you want to be responsible to your client for the failure of their show?  Can you pay for the ticket refunds, damaged equipment (yours and a band or DJs)?

Trust us, the best deal in "own it yourself" generators is the Honda that Mr. Rees mentions.  For anything else you should rent a diesel generator like MQ, CAT, Spectrum, Agrekko or Kohler.  Seriously.

Tim Mc

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:14:58 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Mathew

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »

So you want to own a shitty generator that is unregulated?  What makes you think owning an unregulated (freq as well as voltage) generator is better than renting one?  See below... but in a nutshell, you've been renting the wrong generator, too.  And as Mac points out, why own when you can simply tell the promoter "a suitable generator is XYZ model from ABC rental shop."

The so-called "power conditioners" don't condition anything.  Any device that *does* make a material effect on the power at the current demand you will draw, will cost more than the HomeDespot generator.

When the HomeDespot genset pukes up it's windings, rings or carberator, do you want to be responsible to your client for the failure of their show?  Can you pay for the ticket refunds, damaged equipment (yours and a band or DJs)?

Trust us, the best deal in "own it yourself" generators is the Honda that Mr. Rees mentions.  For anything else you should rent a diesel generator like MQ, CAT, Spectrum, Agrekko or Kohler.  Seriously.

Tim Mc

I mentioned the power conditioner simply for the voltimeter. 
Ok I am convinced with Honda.  Could you explain to me about regulating freq?
thanks for your help
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:56:04 PM by Dave Mathew »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.