ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $400 IEM's. Looking for opinions  (Read 8549 times)

Paul Drenth

$400 IEM's. Looking for opinions
« on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

I need to purchase about a dozen EIM's in the $400 range. Their use will be for vocals, so high SPL and low-frequency response isn't critical. I like the idea of a plug at the ear-mold to replace cables, but I wonder about this plug wearing out.

I'm down to these three and I'm just looking for some opinions.

Westone AC2 -1st choice

Ultimate Ears UE4 -2nd

JH Audio JH5 -3rd

Thanks!

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
Re: $400 IEM's. Looking for opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »

Westone AC2 -1st choice
  Never used 'em but the artists and engineers that I know are moving away from them towards UE and JH.

Ultimate Ears UE4 -2nd
  Good products, solid customer service for the most part. I have UE5s and UE7s and am very happy with both.

JH Audio JH5 -3rd
  JH is all the rage these days though I haven't personally used their products.  Got a demo of the JH16 and wasn't really impressed.   

The trouble with IEMs is that you can't really "get" what they're about until you spend the money get the custom molds and get 'em in your ears.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »

The trouble with IEMs is that you can't really "get" what they're about until you spend the money get the custom molds and get 'em in your ears.

Hi Robert,

Isn't that the truth! Even then, you might have to get several molds made before you find "the one" and you may have to decide on the company before you get the molds done...

Best regards,
Bob

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »

Just to muddy the waters a little more, there's a 4th option, 1964ears-T, this is a triple driver earphone rather than the dual from Westone, UE, JH. Still $400.
I have a pair and I think they sound really good.

1964 also do a soft canal material as an option - helps maintain the seal through a full range of jaw motion.

Paul Drenth

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »

1964 also do a soft canal material as an option - helps maintain the seal through a full range of jaw motion.

Great point! I would not have thought about that. The only molds I have are some 9dB musicians plugs made from soft material, which I find pretty comfortable.

Jack Kontney

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »

Great point! I would not have thought about that. The only molds I have are some 9dB musicians plugs made from soft material, which I find pretty comfortable.

In your price range, you might want to consider the Shure SE425. You can get it bundled with a Sensaphonics custom sleeve (soft silicone) for $420 on the Sensa website.

Full disclosure: Sensaphonics is a client of mine.

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »

Never used 'em but the artists and engineers that I know are moving away from them towards UE and JH.
  Good products, solid customer service for the most part. I have UE5s and UE7s and am very happy with both.
  JH is all the rage these days though I haven't personally used their products.  Got a demo of the JH16 and wasn't really impressed.   

I will second the first and second one, but I do not own any of the UE's but I have heard really good things and it is what I run across the most these days.

I do have a set of JH 13 pro. They are a solid set of ears, definitely worth the money. Great customer service.

But as stated above it is tough to spend so much money without hearing something for yourself.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Drew Curtis

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »

In my opinion UE's Service is second to none.

I feel that their product plays brighter than most other manufacturers.

All three products mentioned are in the same realm and will hold up nicely.

I need to purchase about a dozen EIM's in the $400 range. Their use will be for vocals, so high SPL and low-frequency response isn't critical. I like the idea of a plug at the ear-mold to replace cables, but I wonder about this plug wearing out.

I'm down to these three and I'm just looking for some opinions.

Westone AC2 -1st choice

Ultimate Ears UE4 -2nd

JH Audio JH5 -3rd

Thanks!

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »

A couple of my band mates have Westone UM3 and love them.  They can be fitted with a custom mold for around $100 I believe.  I think that model may be replaced soon though, but I bet you can still find them...  I liked the ER-4 etymotics also, very easy on the ears.   Another band mate has the Shure 425, with custom molds and really likes them too.

I have the Westone Esx3 custom molded ones... I just recently got them, only one gig so far.  I have to say, they are amazing.  Sorry, not in the $400 range.  Amazing isolation, and tons of clarity for bass and drums.

Cheers,
Nils

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.