ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reproducing 2 Grand Pianos Live?  (Read 8854 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Reproducing 2 Grand Pianos Live?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »

;D

LOL

I'd be willing to bet that they would accept a pair of 57's for crowd mics as long as they get 2 matching piano setups....

The heck with the mouse/mice, I want that pristine RE series mic...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »

The heck with the mouse/mice, I want that pristine RE series mic...

I think I'd go for the solid chunk of Acoustifoam™.  I have half a dozen PL11s (the ecomony version of the RE11) which only get used once or twice a year for Elementary school choir concerts.  I don't need any more Variable-D mics with no bottom end!

GTD

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 08:59:30 PM »

I'm leaning toward some large diaphragm condensers.

I'd lean the other way......

LDC's are nice for some things, but you'll get generally equal results with and find many more applications for good SDC's.

IME, the "mic in (by) the hole" is about as good as it gets, followed by the SM91 or other good PZM taped under the lid.  But......I wouldn't want to be the one to put gaff tape on a Steinway finish.  If you can find some of the tape that is rated safe for dance floors/basketball courts, then maybe so.

There are other, better options, but they require double your budget......per piano.  Four nice ribbon mics (2/piano) would amaze them.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »

Received a rider today for a "dueling pianos act"

SNIP

The event is taking place in an old walmart converted into a recreations center. I'll be providing a 3-way trap-and-sub system. (Horrible venue for this, i know)

Use whatever you can get away with. In that venue, when 2 people start playing 2 Steinways, the reverb is going to drown out the rest of the performance. I have done almost the identical gig, but with 2 Bosendorfers. What a waste.

Most "piano for 4 hands" acts are awful. When we performed Steve Reich's music for multiple pianos (2 9' Steinways) the playing was so precise that you would listen to the music in the overtones that were phasing against each other. I don't think that is what  you will be dealing with at the old Walmart. With Steve we used a couple of Sennheiser MKH30s, one over the low strings away from the hammers, the other over the mid/hi strings nearer the hammers. Sometimes the low mic was an AKG 414. Stick your head in the piano while someone plays and listen for the sweet spot for each.

Mac

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »

Use whatever you can get away with. In that venue, when 2 people start playing 2 Steinways, the reverb is going to drown out the rest of the performance. I have done almost the identical gig, but with 2 Bosendorfers. What a waste.

Most "piano for 4 hands" acts are awful. When we performed Steve Reich's music for multiple pianos (2 9' Steinways) the playing was so precise that you would listen to the music in the overtones that were phasing against each other. I don't think that is what  you will be dealing with at the old Walmart. With Steve we used a couple of Sennheiser MKH30s, one over the low strings away from the hammers, the other over the mid/hi strings nearer the hammers. Sometimes the low mic was an AKG 414. Stick your head in the piano while someone plays and listen for the sweet spot for each.

Mac

Mac...

Best I've heard on a quality big grand (lid closed as in the OP) was a pair of Peluso ribbons, one high, one low, placed just under the point where the lid folded back on itself, rather close to being just inside the hammers.  This was the setup that David Oakes used for a re-creation of the 1959 T Monk concert @ Town Hall.  I had splits for a live broadcast and the ribbons were amazing in their dynamics.  There was also a Schoertler system installed for the evening but we ended up not using it at all.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »

Best I've heard on a quality big grand (lid closed as in the OP) was a pair of Peluso ribbons, one high, one low, placed just under the point where the lid folded back on itself, rather close to being just inside the hammers.  This was the setup that David Oakes used for a re-creation of the 1959 T Monk concert @ Town Hall.  I had splits for a live broadcast and the ribbons were amazing in their dynamics.  There was also a Schoertler system installed for the evening but we ended up not using it at all.

If you ever get the chance to use the MKH30s don't pass it up.

Near the hinge is a pretty traditional mic position. Steve liked a real solid low end, and listening to the instrument got us the position at the other end of the harp. YMMV®.

Mac
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:50:08 PM by Mac Kerr »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »

If you ever get the chance to use the MKH30s don't pass it up.

Near the hinge is a pretty traditional mic position. Steve liked a real solid low end, and listening to the instrument got us the position at the other end of the harp. YMMV®.

Mac

I love the MKH series.  Got to be about as good as it gets.  The ribbons, however, being "velocity" mics did seem to me to pick up more nuance in the attack and overall dynamics.  Of course, with "dueling pianos" such subtlety is right out the window.

Jason Moore

• SOUTH DAKOTA
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 04:08:55 AM »

I'd lean the other way......

LDC's are nice for some things, but you'll get generally equal results with and find many more applications for good SDC's.

IME, the "mic in (by) the hole" is about as good as it gets, followed by the SM91 or other good PZM taped under the lid.  But......I wouldn't want to be the one to put gaff tape on a Steinway finish.  If you can find some of the tape that is rated safe for dance floors/basketball courts, then maybe so.

There are other, better options, but they require double your budget......per piano.  Four nice ribbon mics (2/piano) would amaze them.

Dick Rees,
What is the actual rating of the tape you mention? I'm really nervous of any kind of tape on this pair of rented steinways.  However, i've dealt with the ONLY local rental house and i'm kind of leaning towards duct tape, the really shiny stuff!!! hahaha, i kid.
Thanks for the input, keep 'em coming.

Christian Tepfer

• Klanggestaltung Blog (German)
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 06:45:20 AM »

Mac
I would also say: keep it simple.

I have a regular Boogie Woogie gig with 2 grands, after some experimenting (doing this for about 10 years now):

- each piano gets 2 SDCs for low mids and high mids/highs, just like described above.
This is essential, when you don't have more microphones, just do that and try to make the sound direct, compared with the room.

- extra for lows: C414/214 taped above the very low strings, also finding the sweet spot is essential here
- extra for monitors: SM57 pointed to the first "hole". For me this works better than the "mouse" version, I sometimes use this mic when I have to get the grands real loud (depending on playing style and show dynamics). YMMV.

I'm not using PZMs on that gig anymore, although they can do the trick. I never tape PZMs to the lid, some kind of ethics hold me back on that one. Plus when taping 414s I use the best Gaffa tape I can get.

The Shure SM81 are actually a favorite of mine.
Christian Tepfer
christian at amanya dot de

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »

FWIW, I've used gaff tape a bunch of times on steinway pianos. We had 9 steinways of different sizes at my last job.I've used everything from Neumann U87's down to a wireless Lav on those pianos. Nearly always taping the cables and or mics onto something.

As long as you remove the tape after the gig there will be no problem. I've never damaged the finish by doing this.

The lampies, however, did bring in an electric right over one of the 7 foot grands and burned a hole in the lid with a leko.... ::)
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.